Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reds MoT Fail

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 am

Red's just failed another MoT. Not as bad as it could have been ....
Failed on:
  • Nearside side repeater not working (never has, no wiring).
  • Offside front headlight flickers when tapped lightly by hand (I've hurt my wrist, no flickering detected)
  • Offside front brake juddering severely (Yup, was expecting that one)
  • Offside front brake pipe excessively corroded (They hammered the mud off to look)
  • Nearside front brake pipes excessively corroded (Did offside for last MoT, so should have expected that).

And the advisories:
  • Front brake imbalance: 25% (That'd be the shattered pad that caused the disc damage and juddering)
  • Offside front brake pads wearing thin (what's left of them)
  • Some mountings corroded (They all do that, sir)

Looks like we'll not be doing the dry-run camping trip in the Landy this weekend Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 2:36 pm

Ain't as bad as Deano. With 4 ish weeks to go, he has still got to do his engine swap, power steering, etc. etc.

Opps! silent
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Ain't as bad as Deano. With 4 ish weeks to go, he has still got to do his engine swap, power steering, etc. etc.

Indeed!
I hope to get the front wheel bearings, swivel seals, discs and pads changed, some new brake lines in, all the propshaft UJ's, rear axle bushes, timing thingy, exhaust manifold, alternator belts, fan belt, bump stops and mud flap brackets replaced next week... (Note; hope, not expect)

Then there's all the wiring to finish, software to write and woodworking to assemble... The LPG's going to have to wait until after LR09, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 3:08 pm

Add Lenny's wing and a full service to that list.

Plus Pinky is getting ready for the service bay next week. Seems to have an oil leak ??

I think we all have a busy few weeks ahead of us before we set sail for Calais which reminds me need to book a ferry.

Oh yes and the new double glazing is arriving on Thursday lol! lol!

Andy - we know a good fabricator of solid brake pipes only problem is that they are in Andorra !!
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 3:20 pm

Sylvia Johnson wrote:
Andy - we know a good fabricator of solid brake pipes only problem is that they are in Andorra !!

Brake pipes aren't a problem - all the bits were in the boot. The MoT bloke seemed quite impressed by the lines I put on the rear axle - kunifer pipes inside double wall braided PVC hose Smile
Back to top Go down

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 2:48 pm

ahhh but pinky is still rolling Wink
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:02 am

This is a little bit worrying ...

Reds MoT Fail BrakeBroke

While removing the offside front brake disc from the hub, it broke in two. As you can see from the pic, there's rust along the break which indicates there's been a hairline fracture there for a while...

Glad it only came apart when I hit it with a hammer, rather than approaching a roundabout affraid
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 3:09 pm

oooohhh that could have been nasty,,,,,,,,,,,,, No
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Personally I would have used brake pads up against that disk rather than a grinding wheel, no wonder it fell apart! Laughing
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Personally I would have used brake pads up against that disk rather than a grinding wheel, no wonder it fell apart! Laughing

You should see the other side ...

Reds MoT Fail BrokeBrake

Half a brake pad on the back - probably the uneven friction, thus uneven heat, that caused the fracture.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 5:09 pm

Opps! Live to fight another day an' all that.
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Hey .... I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought the thing... On the plus side, I'll be happier knowing that all the brake lines, discs, pads, pistons, seals and fluids have been replaced before we reach the mountains. And also it's an opportunity to paint more of the vehicle green Smile
Back to top Go down
Dean McGuigan

Dean McGuigan

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 11:03 am

Engine update- still no new engine in the Rangey yet but its happening soon be afraid be very afraid!

On the plus side my MOT cost me pitence, get this, my 22 yrs old Classic only failed due to a faulty bulb! Thats bearing in mind that it was completely knackered when i picked it up last september (flat batt, flat tyre, running on 7 cylinders, fuel pump broken). At the time i fixed or replaced all the above and since then got a new steering box (recon), replaced the fuel tank, relacing the engine at the moment, fixed the transmission brake, replaced the rear bumper and ends, upgraded the alternator to 100amp, got an LPG system rigged up and on top of that got a new set of 5 modular steels with new set of tyres to boot!

Now progress for you Smile

And satisfaction for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 11:36 am

Wot? affraid Nothing wrong with the old girl when I donated it. Well, apart from the engine, gearbox, chassis, body ... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 2:34 pm

After putting on all the bits I hadn't got around to fitting before the test, it passed... and no retest fee, either.

Had a good first run out after having all the hubs apart, transfer box apart, new bits bolted to the engine and stuff ... about 80 miles of motorway with the LPG on ... Twisted Evil
Red likes gas!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 3:21 pm

A diesel on gas! affraid

You checked out yet how many mpg it's getting?
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 1:05 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
A diesel on gas! affraid
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Reds MoT Fail GPS Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Quote :
You checked out yet how many mpg it's getting?

Used a lot less gas than I expected... Diesel burn was 40mpg at around 70mph. Gas burn rate was lower than it should have been, but for some reason I forgot to weigh the gas tank before I started so can't give a gas burn rate.

I think I need a vaporiser and heater... After being turned off for a junction the reg froze open, resulting in the GPS speed readout shown above as I pulled onto the M18 airstrip. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:09 pm

87.8 affraid Your braces get tangled around the bumper of a rep in a Mondeo? tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Reds MoT Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds MoT Fail   Reds MoT Fail Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reds MoT Fail
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Landy Rally :: Your Wheels-
Jump to: