Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10

Go down 
+9
Badger
Crazy~Johno
loncbt
andybloke
TonySLROC
roamingman
Sylvia Johnson
cadarn
Tom Mc
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Doubt it 'cause while they will be on Salisbury Plain 19th June we shall be in the South of Holland heading towards Germany and Austria. Besides, didn't want the two events to get mixed up.
Back to top Go down
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 4:40 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Doubt it 'cause while they will be on Salisbury Plain 19th June we shall be in the South of Holland heading towards Germany and Austria. Besides, didn't want the two events to get mixed up.

Hmmm Salisbury or the south of Holland heading for Germany/Austria/Stelvio! scratch scratch Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 7:53 pm

Myself and Wayne, the Event Manager of Landy Rally 2010, are setting off on the reconnoitre this morning. A quick visit to Calais then it's down to see Jaap & Henk for a while, before collecting Lee (Captain Chaos) from Dusseldorf Airport who will fly in from Birmingham, then tackle the entire 3,000 mile route starting from Saturday in order to create the Road Book.

Exciting ... wish us luck!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 2:17 am

Good luck Tom - try not to get too side tracked by vineyard visits!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 10:57 am

Tom Mc wrote:

chalk and cheese Laughing

right starting off the betting on distance covered before a hire car is needed

good luck though
Back to top Go down
Rickyd

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Good luck Tom.
Back to top Go down
http://www.littlezukeinabigworld.co.uk
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 2:26 pm

The Johnsons tour of new (to us) mountain passes should be back in France by Saturday. Brilliant time had and found some really great places. Don't recommend the top of Stelvio on Sunday lunchtime though ...... all bikes and muscle cars !

See you when we get back
Back to top Go down
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Can you try to not wreck the Rangie before I get there boys!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 5:00 pm

rumor has it they are still alive and near the stelvio pass
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 9:25 am

Hi y'all, managed to get on to a computer at last. The recee has been going really well, with the Road Book looking better than ever before. Okay, I'll say it for you ... "well that's not hard!" Also a lot more varity, so those who have taken part in Landy Rally before will really notice the difference. For first-timers, I just know you're going to love it.

At present I'm sitting here in Bergerac sweltering - it must be 30+ degrees, and that's in the shade! Reckon September will be equally as hot, only be prepared for a sudden drop in temperature at night. You certainly won't freeze, but it does get a wee bit nippy so a sweatshirt is definitely essential wear.

Yesterday Wayne (Event Manager 2010), Lee a.k.a. Captain Chaos (Assistant Event Manager Landy Rally 2010) and myself found the best ever off-road route during the seven times we have driven the Landy Rally routes in the Pyrenees. The views were stunning, the track challenging, but still driveable by novice off-roaders and showroom condition vehicles. When I say stunning, it was the best panorama I have ever seen in the Alps, Pyreenees, and even the Sahara and Malaysia/Thailand!!! It was truly amazing.

Anyway, got to go now as there's an ice cold beer with my name on it, and I wouldn't like to disappoint. Back in Blighty in a few days, speak to you then.

BTW, you'll be pleased to know Sylvia that I have included the 'Termite Mound' in the Road Book this year (the conical rock pictured on the r/h side of the home page of www.landyrally.com) so you may actually find it this year! That's if I can read Wayne's notes - surely they can't be as bad as Kieran's scrawl??? Then again ...

And another BTW, it has been renamed:-

Sylvia's Mount! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 4:44 pm

it truely is an impressive sight its on the sticker on the back of pinky Laughing

after speaking to tom tonight he sounds like the happiest man on the planet,
sounds goood, i cant wait, :cyclops: Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 2:46 pm

Has the" leader" made it back home yet ? He's unusually quiet ! And he needs to get back soon to get the road book done in time ! We are going a week earlier this time !
Back to top Go down
Rickyd

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Hope there's plenty of McDonald's on route, im a fusyy eater. I can see myself starving to death
Back to top Go down
http://www.littlezukeinabigworld.co.uk
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 3:44 pm

All you will need is fridge or plug in cool box and lots of snacks to keep you going.
5 of us managed to go from Calais to Italy before we ate anything more than a sandwich, noodles or kitkat bars. That Pizza on the Monday night was the best meal I'd tasted in at least three days !
Don't ask why we didn't eat but doing the Fluella pass at 1.30am might have had something to do with it !

There is usually somewhere near the campsite to get some food.

We certainly passed several Large yellow M signs last year !

And if all else fails there's always your breakfast bars !
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Made it! We actually got back Wednesday night, but just too knackered to log in. Even Thursday night I fell asleep early evening about 7 pm and woke up at 11.30 pm!

Amazingly everyone returned okay - Captain Chaos from Bergerac Airport and Wayne from back here in Bedworth nr. Coventry last night who then shot up to Birmingham in time for work today. Even my trusty diesel Rangie returned safe and sound, now that HAS to be a first!!! cheers

Only problems were the central locking system which developed a will of its own - typical RR Classic - and on the last day the Lucas headlights (Lucas a.k.a. "The Price of Darkness") decided to drop to half strength resulting in two very dim headlights. So dim were they, I reckon the headlights of a 6 volt Beetle would have been brighter! No problem, Wayne wired them up from a live power feed off the sidelights, so with the aid of a switch and a solenoid the headlights worked perfectly when operating the side lights.

As for the route itself it all went like clockwork. Wayne & I spent many an hour at my place pre-recee in an effort to get it right before even leaving the country. All that hard work and compulsory wine-swilling really paid off as the pieces of the jig-saw just seemed to effortlessly fall into place at every step of the way. We even managed to incorporate one of the Road Runners' suggestions into the road book, so good was the planning. The only hiccup was the Stelvio Pass. When we arrived it was a complete 'white out'' with snow so deep the eastern side of the pass was closed completely! Thanks Keith & Sylvia, your suggetion saved us a long journey for nothing as fortunately your suggetion meant we approached from the western side via the xxxxxxxx pass. In case you are all wondering, I could tell you the name of the pass, but I would have to kill you!!!

Jaap's suggestions (the Dutch Team Landyprikkers during LR`09) also paid off, as the start line was exactly as we found. Perfect!

As you are probably aware by now, Wayne has lived in the Dordogne region of Southern France for the past couple of years, so has joined a local 4x4 club. An all-marques group called Buisson 4x4 Club, we met up with them at their off-road site last Saturday. What a great bunch! Our visit was so successful, the site will be incorporated into the LR`10 road book as we will be stopping off to see them en route. Their website is http://buisson4x4.e-monsite.com

I tell you, LR`10 will be far and away the best Landy Rally to date. The road book will be better and more ‘user-friendly’, the itinerary will be kinder with less hours on the road, overall the camping facilities will be better, the actual off-road sections will be even more outstanding, the daily point-scoring tasks will be more fun, involvement with our Continental cousins will be much more evident, the general running of the event will be a lot smoother, in fact based on experience gained over the three previous Landy Rally events, the entire event will be more rewarding in every way - mark my words!

Can't wait! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
loncbt

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Sounds fantasic again Tom....

wish we were along again this year..but......

Florida and Nascar or USA offroading wins....

but we will return m8......
Back to top Go down
http://www.swporc.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 6:13 pm

No problemo, there's always next year.

If going to Florida, make certain you check out Mud Bogging on the net pre-flight. There are events most weekends, so get yourself along and have a look see. There are normally two classes - those who try to drive and through the 300ft strip of mud (most fail but it's fun to see them flounder and get caked in goo - especially the girls Twisted Evil ), and those who use nitro-powered 7 litre V8's to power over the mud from a standing start in under 3 seconds! Well worth a visit.
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 3:34 pm

Quote :
The only hiccup was the Stelvio Pass. When we arrived it was a complete 'white out'' with snow so deep the eastern side of the pass was closed completely!

I can't believe that there was only a week between us doing Stelvio and you find it blocked by snow ! We found the top of it covered with 1000's(well maybe several hundred !) of motor bikes the week before !

Just one question Did you find any marmots ???
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 5:32 pm

Nah, a real disappointment - the entire place was beaverless! No
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 2:28 am

I had Lenny cam attached to the front of the Chevy and got an action shot of one running across the road in front of us. Copies of the entire video (about 23 hours long) complete with stiring background music will be available from a shop near you soon .....
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 10:05 am

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 10:33 am

Sylvia Johnson wrote:
Quote :
The only hiccup was the Stelvio Pass. When we arrived it was a complete 'white out'' with snow so deep the eastern side of the pass was closed completely!

I can't believe that there was only a week between us doing Stelvio and you find it blocked by snow ! We found the top of it covered with 1000's(well maybe several hundred !) of motor bikes the week before!

Told you Stelvio was a 'white out'. This photo was taken looking east, the side of the pass which was closed. A tad nippy too, so much for the theory that it warms up a little before it snows. I DON'T THINK SO!!! No

https://servimg.com/view/11633552/21

This was taken on the way back down. Clearly the snow ploughs had been through previously or else the western side would have been closed too.

https://servimg.com/view/11633552/22

Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Tom,

I admit defeat - have spent the last half hour trying to upload a photo. Stelvio pass is on facebook if you want to compare. There was a bit of snow but the roads were all well clear and the east side was very clear
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Me too! I tried my upmost to post my photos on here like Kieran, Marc and others do, but the best I could do was a link to the image hosting company. Failed miserably, but then again I did live up to my monica of "Technology Tom". Embarassed
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:34 am

A bit like uploading avatar, you need to copy and paste the BBCode

Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Normal_Picture%202%20687

White out top of Kilder forest just south of Edinbough

the wise one
Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Thumbnail.aspx%20yoda
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next