Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Well here we go again !

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Well here we go again ! Empty
PostSubject: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 5:02 pm

We planned a weeks holiday after Christmas.

Lets take the 4x4's up to Northumberland. Dont know whats up there but that doesn't normally stop us ! Or so I thought !

1) Pinky has an MOT so needs some work doing. Next thing is there's a phone call MUUUUUUUmmmmm can you fetch me some tools something has broken ! So there ends my peaceful Sunday afternoon as I then end up driving to Matlock to fetch a spare part ! Monday sees better news and Pinky is now back on the road again.

2) Tuesday afternoon the phone rings ...... Dddddaaaadddddd I've broken down...... no not Pinky this time but the Frontera. The timing belt has come off caused by the bolt shearing off !

3) Wednesday night/Thursday morning the phone rings at 1 something am (you always panic when phone rings in the middle of the night) This time its Pinky who has stopped in the middle of nowhere

And now the world has gone white again !

I have to wonder what Friday is going to bring ???

And are we all going to get to Northumberland ?

Watch this space !
lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 5:11 pm

yes but with glow in the dark condoms you really can get home, as i will prove tomorrow or saturday when i turn up not on a RAC truck Laughing and fair play to the CV joint it has done three landy rallys just couldn't manage the last 10 miles this morning haha
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 6:47 am

4x4's ... don't you just love 'em? Wink
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 9:23 am

Well, Friday is almost at its end.......

Lenny still rolling?

Anything else happened?

Just had 3 inches of snow this morning and there should come another 2 this evening....
And tomorrow I have to drive 2 hours and back with a carambulance. Hope there is still salt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dezeilmaker.nl
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 12:26 pm

Shame you can't stick a stretcher in the back of the 133, that would get you there! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 12:32 pm

Lenny hasn't moved yet

But husband has man flu ! Enough said.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 7:17 pm

Plenty of TLC Sylvia, you know how we instantly cave-in when we get a sniffle. Is he a grump as well?
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 6:58 am

He's not been too bad in the grumpy stakes but today might just change that !

Particularly as we were rudely awakened at 2am this morning by an automated text messaging service. Keith dropped the phone and didn't here what the text was about.

I might add it was Kieran who said he was getting a lift home with James so not to bother driving to Buxton. However Kieran then decided to phone this morning just to make sure Keith wasn't going to pick him up except that by this time Keith was nearly at Buxton !

Oh yes and now he has me feeling grumpy as well as he has been most generous with his Christmas presents this year....... Anyone want " the dreaded lurgy" for Christmas ? affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 8:01 am

Hi Sylvia,

Some week you had. Hope it stops here for you Rolling Eyes

Tried to figure out "the dreaded lurgy" but didn't succeed. No dictionaries nor Bing could help out.
So what a special something is that?
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 9:46 am

lurgy is any bad cold or flu, or other things nastie cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 9:54 am

Eh? I just tried Google (UK of course) and there was an entire page about "lurgy".

lurgy: A fictitious, yet highly infectious disease; almost always used in the phrase "the dreaded lurgy", sometimes as a reference to flu-like symptoms. study

In a word ... not good (that's two words).
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 11:23 am

Explains it all.
Must say I only tried to translate it.
Didn't google the phrase.
I am suprised the Oxford Dictionaray didn't know it. confused
Maybe it is too old? (30 years)

@Sylvia: Please leave it at home in Januari. pale We really can do without it
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Hah - found it in the Cambridge dictionary - seriously.
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Cambridge normally wins rowing?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Rowing? Obviously been at that whisky bottle again Jaap, you're talking Double Dutch! Razz
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: My side of the story..   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 1:52 am

Quote :
We planned a weeks holiday after Christmas.
Lets take the 4x4's up to Northumberland. Dont know whats up there but that doesn't normally stop us ! Or so I thought

Yes I have been subject to extreme medical pressure recently with not just a mild lurgy but a super strength Dad sized one, but I have not once mentioned it and I doubt anyone noticed due to my stoical battle with nature.

While I am never grumpy (being male and therefore immune from mood swings) I should point out that although my navigator seems to think we are going to the North East after Christmas we have actually booked a place on Alston Moor which when I went to school was in Cumbria. Actually when I went to school it wasn't but it is now. Not that anyone moved it just they put some different names on the map. In any event is was never in Northumberland though we apparantly might end up there and so be some considerable distance from our cosy cottage and have nowhere to stay.

As for Kieran and his condom advenures when I got his call in the middle of the night I was very understanding of his plight, him being stuck in the middle of the Derbyshire nowhere in below freezing conditions and not sure what to do. As any father would in these circustances I offered all the reassurance I could - it would soon be daylight, Spring is not that far away Global warming is bound to take effect soon etc. Then confident I had fulfilled my parental duties went back to sleep contentedly.

When they were younger in common with most parents we considered ourselves to be "kids taxis" for Kieran I am now "pointless taxi" First I get up early and drive to Buxton (as requested) to collect him so that he can get to his job on Saturday night only to find I didn't need to. Then I stay up late (remember my medical condition that I don't like to talk about - no not that one, the lurgy) drive to the appointed meeting place after all good people have turned in but all of Mad Mansfield are wandering about in short skirts, only to find he is working later and his boss will give him a lift home.

While I was on the first pointess taxi trip Marc is jumping up and down because he is waiting to collect the new bits for his car from the garage, and then for me to tow his breakdown from its point of rest to a local workshop to have a broken bolt removed. To acheive this we have to use an A frame that needs a vehicle with a tow hook, The only one we have (apart from his) is the Chevy. Just before the sonw came I started sorting out the headlight wiring but was prevented finishing by the Arctic blast. So now I have to push as much of this random spaghetti as possible into the hole below the speedo and put the battery in and visit every car spares shop this side of Darjeeling before towing his dead Vauxhall half way round the World. By the way sorry Steve for breaking your straight bar, Marc will explain all when he brings it back.

I should also mention that yesterday was intended to be Lenny service day, changing rear trailing arm bushes that have been worn out for some time and check fluids etc. None of this was done so while Lenny keeps rolling along for the moment ..... affraid

I hope this brief explanation of a typcal few days in Mansfield throws a bit more light on why men are sometimes mistakenly thought of as grumpy - they are not they are just concentrating on making sense of what is happening in the whirlwind of life.!!

I do feel better for this literary therapy Rolling Eyes

Thought you might like to see an example of the "Special Relationship" between the US and UK in motoring terms !!

Well here we go again ! Img00016

Well here we go again ! Img00014[url][/url]
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 8:05 am

Thanks for your literary prose, however we seem to be no further forward - other then the fact we sympathise with your current plight re. the lugy and pointless-taxis, which in my book fully vindicates your current state of grumpiness!

The reason we are no further forward is because of Kieran's glow-in-the-dark condoms ... we STILL don't know the story.

As for Kieran and his condom advenures when I got his call in the middle of the night I was very understanding of his plight, him being stuck in the middle of the Derbyshire nowhere in below freezing conditions and not sure what to do. As any father would in these circustances I offered all the reassurance I could - it would soon be daylight, Spring is not that far away Global warming is bound to take effect soon etc. Then confident I had fulfilled my parental duties went back to sleep contentedly.

Enlighten us (good pun) as to what actually happened that fateful night? Did global warming play a part in turning ordinary condoms into radioactive glow-in-the-dark specimens ... or did he have in his possession the King Kong pack, so to stave off the cold he actually slept in one like a swag bag? Come on (definitely not a pun), we need to know, the suspense is too much to bear. bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 8:12 am

By the way, this is what Google ads flashed up after I just replied to your post:-

Nottingham Coupons 1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. Get 50-90% Off Birmingham's best!

We Will Buy Your Car We'll Buy It From £50 to £100,000+ Get Your Free Instant Valuation Now

Cottages in Peak District Superb character holiday cottages in the heart of the Peak District

How do they do that? Nottingham Coupons I suppose because you mentioned Mansfield, We Will Buy Your Car because it's either that or Pinky/Frontera are goin down the scrapyard, and Cottages in Peak District 'cause you mentioned about your "cosy cottage" in Cumbria and "Buxton" in Derbyshire.

Big Brother's definitely on our case! affraid
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Quote :
Enlighten us (good pun) as to what actually happened that fateful night?

I'm not exactly sure what part in the process the prophylactic itself played but as far as I can make out it was to support the precision application of lubricant to a troublesome coupling - engine oil into the CV
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
cadarn

cadarn

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Rowing? Obviously been at that whisky bottle again Jaap, you're talking Double Dutch! Razz

Possible.

As I remember there is a yearly tournament between both universities on the Thames.
A tournament with boats (skiff?) moved by manpower. Is that called rowing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 3:59 pm

that and the fact i had a mecedes full of hot curries when i was sposed to finnish Laughing

the condom was all we had to funnel oil into the filler hole to hope it would get us further

and it did... about 5 miles

next time i plan to break down im taking warmer clothes and a kettle cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 4:53 pm

kieran wrote:
that and the fact i had a mecedes full of hot curries when i was sposed to finnish Laughing

the condom was all we had to funnel oil into the filler hole to hope it would get us further

and it did... about 5 miles

next time i plan to break down im taking warmer clothes and a kettle cheers
... and a spare Range Rover! Razz

What we want to know is - why on earth would you have a glow-in-the-dark French Letter on board in the first place???

Yes Jaap, see the connection now. Might have guessed you would be thinking water-bourne activities. Surrounded by water as you are, surprised you haven't built yourself an amphibious Landy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 4:57 pm

got one of those Laughing

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Well A-frame it behind Pinky next time you venture out, you might make it back without having to wake Mr Grumpy!

Well here we go again ! Mr_gru11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 5:19 pm

didn't think i woke you up anyhow ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well here we go again !   Well here we go again ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Well here we go again !
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Landy Rally :: General Chit Chat-
Jump to: