Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice re driveline slack

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jellybenitez

jellybenitez

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-12-08

Advice re driveline slack Empty
PostSubject: Advice re driveline slack   Advice re driveline slack Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi, just wondering if theres any knowledgeable folks out there who know the best way to pin down driveline slack. Its been getting worse and now the clunking when going on and off power is getting a bit much. Mostly the front end i think, all Prop uj's are okay. I suspect either cv's, diff or transfer box. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to tell which it is causing the most problem. I assume prop off and jack up front axle and have a play but how do i tell if the transfer box is shafted? Its a D2. Any suggestions? Might change the tranny anyway for one with a centre diff if thats the cause. Cheers Jez
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Advice re driveline slack   Advice re driveline slack Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 3:51 pm

The Clunk on my Disco1 got considerably worse after last years LR christmas do, as the dust caps on the front drive flanges were damaged... Dust got into the grease and sanded down the flange! Easy to detect by jacking the wheel, putting a finger on the drive/flange interface and turning the hub.

Transfer box in neutral, gearbox in neutral, wheels chocked, somewhere quiet. Mole grips on propshaft and wiggle. You can hear each joint clunk in order as you take away the slack. By varying how much you wiggle the propshaft you can start figuring out how much slack is in each area. You can also use a clean screwdriver stuck in the oil fill holes to hold the CVJ or diff, or to help detect movement, if there are two of you.

Windscreen washer pipe as an improvised stethoscope helps, too Smile

Worked here, Your Mileage May Vary.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
jellybenitez

jellybenitez

PostSubject: Re: Advice re driveline slack   Advice re driveline slack Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks for the tips. I suspect the front diff or cv as its clicking sometimes on full lock. Will try and get a look soon. Was going to try to upgrade to a 4 pin front diff anyway so maybe now is the time to start searching for a cheap diff to build up. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Advice re driveline slack   Advice re driveline slack Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 am

"Clicking" is CV I believe, but don't quote me!
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Advice re driveline slack   Advice re driveline slack Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 12:42 pm

jellybenitez wrote:
I suspect the front diff or cv as its clicking sometimes on full lock.

CVJ causes the clicks on corners, but check the end float first - missing shims could cause noise, wear and slight CVJ mis-position there, and can be replaced without stripping the hub!
Back to top Go down
jellybenitez

jellybenitez

PostSubject: Re: Advice re driveline slack   Advice re driveline slack Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 1:47 pm

Are there shims on the D2 axle?
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Advice re driveline slack   Advice re driveline slack Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:09 am

jellybenitez wrote:
Are there shims on the D2 axle?

Pass.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice re driveline slack   Advice re driveline slack Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice re driveline slack
Page 1 of 1