Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Food!

Go down 
+2
CarpeDiem
Lu and Tweedie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

Food! Empty
PostSubject: Food!   Food! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 4:58 pm

This may be a very silly question Embarassed , but... Is it ok to take food with you across the channel, and are there rules about what you can / can't take over the border? Also any rules about this between the countries during the rally?

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Food! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food!   Food! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 11:20 pm

Hi,

Not a silly ? at all, especially in light of recent events, have a look at this link;

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/fmd/public/index.htm#4

And scroll down to "Advice to people travelling abroad"

Personally, we're only taking dried/canned food.

Cheers, Mark

Ps. are we there yet?
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Food! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food!   Food! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 1:56 am

I will be taking a few bags of crisps and a few bottles of water and an empty Engel. Then when I get to Calais, head for the Auchan - its a huge great supermarket, a bit of a cross between Tesco, B&Q, Mothercare, and any other big shop you care to think about.

Best of all its cheaper (or it was last time i was there) than our shops, so you save £££s.

Likewise with fuel. Take you jerry's empty and i'll be trying to work it so I only have 1/4 tank or so before I get on the ferry. Diesel fuel in France / Belguim has a higher sulphur content and your car goes faster!!!! Good news for you eh Mark lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

Food! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food!   Food! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 2:55 am

mmmmm food......

We're gonna take a small amount, but just emergency rations, tins etc, prob no fresh beef though sadly!

The Hypermarkets are soo much cheaper for stocking up on food, and of course you get the welcome change of funny looking food, food with different names, some odd french stuff, and the regluar stuff in boxs you don't recognise and can't read! Joy!

Seriously though, i think we're going to set up the tent as soon as we arrive, make our mark so to speak just in case of a rush, and then head to the hypermarket.

Will make sure that we wither wait for another couple of teams to arrive at the campsite, or park with space in the carpark, ca see a really amusing photo set coming up...

:arrow:
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Food! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food!   Food! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 10:38 am

Great news, cheers Jon, just make sure I have enough fuel to get off the ferry! Razz All together! PUSH!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Food! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food!   Food! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 6:23 pm

Cassoulet ... mmmmmmmm! This is like a big tin of baked beans with attitude. A combination of different types of beans and a mix of meats such as lamb shoulder and salami-type sausage, it's gorgeous and a meal in itself ... much tastier than plain old baked beans. What's more, it's a great savory match for Pinot Noir.

So quick and easy to prepare (one big saucepan), have a tin of cassoulet and a baguette on board and you'll never go hungry.
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

Food! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food!   Food! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2007 5:17 pm

First time I had cassoulet was somewhere near Bergerac. Severn of us returning to Brittany on motor bikes. It had been raining most of the way and we got to this French farmhouse starving, cold and hungry. I don't really know if the casoulet was as good as all that, maybe a Mc D might have tasted nice but I think I can still tast this home made meal. As you say Tom, hunk of bread muddy strong red, recipe for happiness bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Food! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food!   Food! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2007 5:40 pm

Home cooked cauldron-full is even better, but for us on the road the tinned version is a half-decent substitute. Go away, making me hungry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Food! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food!   Food! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food!
Page 1 of 1