Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine

Go down 
+4
andybloke
VentureOverland
Rafe
theshortwayround
8 posters
AuthorMessage
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Empty
PostSubject: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 5:36 am

This i don't need... Crying or Very sad

:arrow:
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 6:22 am

ok, after closer (and a bit warm after a 14 mile drive - ouch!) inspection the options look like,

1. Core plug
2. Split hose
3. Head gasket
4. Act of God

hoping for no. 4

pale :arrow:
Back to top Go down
Rafe

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-08-27

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 6:26 am

I reckon #2.

Best of luck with it whatever!

Rafe
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 6:29 am

Oopsie!

However...

An Act of God is pretty unlikely.
A core plug is also pretty unlikely although not as unlikely as above.
A split hose??? Perhaps a jubilee clip eaten the hose or just come loose - why?
Head Gasket....It would be unusual for the water to fly out the back of the block because they normally go internally, however, this or the pipe would be my guess.

Have you been doing stuff around the back of the engine to suggest the pipe may have moved / been damaged?

How many miles?

Havent you recently put a new rad on the vehicle? Is it possible that the block was air locked and killed the head gasket, leading to premature failure?????
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 7:57 am

theshortwayround wrote:

1. Core plug
2. Split hose
3. Head gasket
4. Act of God

Heater matrix?
Coolant balance pipe popped off of the header tank and fallen onto the gearbox?

Any signs of mayonnaise on the oil filler cap or dipstick, or the oil level higher than it was? Either might indicate that there's a gasket or water jacket problem.

Last edited by on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 8:02 am

VentureOverland wrote:

A split hose??? Perhaps a jubilee clip eaten the hose or just come loose - why?

Overtightened? I've done that one before ... replaced thermostat, overtightened clip, not noticed it's stripped the band, 20 miles later the contents of the coolant circuit leap out the side of the bike onto a bus....
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 9:25 am

All things crossed, whatever it is :!:
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 12:54 pm

My money's on a heater hose. Pain to get to on a V8, don't suppose oil burners are any different in that respect. Best of British.
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi there, I think I should put you all out of your misery. Steve gave me a call today, help, can you call into Lancasters (local LR dealer) collect heater pipes and deliver to Bracknell where there is a puddle under my Disco. Thunderbird 1 to the rescue bounce Got the pipes, took them to Steve, he fitted them. bled the air out of the system, SORTED cheers
So there is one less Disco that is going to overheat cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Nice one! Cool Tom, are there points available for heroic Thunderbirds?

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 4:00 pm

No pictures, no publicity please Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 4:13 pm

mega thanks to paul, and it really was strange (the car that is, not paul!) jubile clip holding heater matrix pipe onto top of the engine had come undone, no apparent damage, but it just wouldn't hold!

Changed both pipes, 4 new clips, so fingers crossed that will be the last of that issue!

Can rest a little better now, but it has set me back half a day...

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 4:44 pm

Hold on, didn't Andybloke and your truly diagnose the problem while all the amateurs were faffing about with assorted theories about siezed gearbozes or voltage drop (or something like that ... opps, Melot's kicked in agauin!!!!!!!!!!!). Top points for team Remember Chernobyl and Event Director I'd say, with a couple of extra points for Luck Trucker for moral support. Razz

"DON'T PANIC MR. MAINWARING" - or should that be MR. PEARCE. You know who you are! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 11:26 pm

Great news! cheers
Back to top Go down
Rafe

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-08-27

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 2:11 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Hold on, didn't Andybloke and your truly diagnose the problem

Oi! I think you'll find I also put my money on it being a simple hose issue.

Gonna have the right hump now.

Rafe
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 2:21 am

Well, everyone was close, but not quite there.

It was a pipe that leads to the heater matrix, but matrix is inside the cabin, and hose is in engine bay, and wasleaking where it joins a straight pipe in the engine valley and runs to the radiator, so not really a pipe o nthe matrix.

It definatly wasn't a 'simple' hose. it was a right pig to get off, and an even bigger one (Boar?!) to get the new one on, and clips tight.

however, i'm sure had you all of been able to see it, you'd have known straight away!!

i think close, but no cigar in this case! - Except for luckytrucker and dog and the rescue mission! cheers

Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 4:20 am

Glad alls back on track...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 7:50 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 3:33 pm

Quite right, couldn't do without our Medicine Man. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine   There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

There is water pi55ing out of the back of my engine
Page 1 of 1