Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What went wrong on LR2007?

Go down 
+8
4x4Bun
Sparky
CarpeDiem
TonySLROC
Badger
VentureOverland
theshortwayround
andybloke
12 posters
AuthorMessage
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

What went wrong on LR2007? Empty
PostSubject: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 8:49 am

There were various technical problems on LR2007, some confirmed, some just hearsay....

What went wrong, if anything, on your vehicle?

To start off:
Lara Landy (the Tombraider D90 Td5), Team Remember Chernobyl
Hose between the turbo and intercooler venting air under boost - twelve turns (!) of the jubilee clip screw before the offroad course cured that.
Immobiliser randomly kicking in/ECU locking out (usually when the engine was off, but also on motorways, mountain roads, etc).
Tail light went, but blew the fuse on the reverse/brake lights.
GPS-to-internet system broke down on the ferry home!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 8:58 am

300 Tdi Disco - theshortwayround,

Overheat whilst in traffic, blew plastic crap (sorry - cap) on top of thermostat housing as fans failed to start.

Turbo pipe blew off - quickly put back on.

Still overheating even though cap repaired, then replaced with brass one, and stage one fan hard wired on.

Thermostate reloacted to boot, stage 2 of fan hard wired in, no further problems.

Would seam Thermostat at fault, originally felt that fan temp sender had failed, and therfore heat casued by no engine fans on. felt this then casued thermostat to fail in the closed position.

Thoughts now, are that thermostat had failed, this casued bad circulation of water throgh rad, therfore water at fan temp sender not hot enough to engage either stage of fan.

New Thermostat and fan temp sender being fitted for good measure!

Now home, Alarm going off all through the night to the delight of my good neighbours. unsire as to reason, no apparent faults, and is only going off at night.
At fault? maybe some scroats planning on bad ideas with my Disco. either that, or sensor fault. In to Main dealer (Ouch, but what can you do!) in the week to get seen too.

:arrow:
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 9:26 am

Team VentureOverland 1:
- Blew an auxillary fuse when I trapped the 12V flourescent light cable in the door latch - arse!

Team VentureOverland 2:
- Had a habbit of dropping all its oil out of the T/Box. When VO1 was following, when we didnt need the wipers any more it was time to stop and refill the lead T/Box!!!!
- A little bit of brake fade on the way down from Val d'Isere. A cup of coffee soon fixed that... or perhaps it was the time taken to make the coffee!!??

No major shakes in this camp then...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: My Truck - Range Rover P38A   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 9:32 am

Very poor mileage from a tank of LPG - about 280 miles average on a 80l tank fill.

No Low range gears - suspect this is the selector motor - i hope so as i do not fancy having to fork out for a complete transfer box. this caused me to use the brakes all the way into val d'isere so they got hot and stinky and a "bit" vague

Engine a little hicoughy at 2.5 to 3k revs - going to the engine man to have a look. this was both on petrol and LPG.

used about 1 litre of oil.

interior light doesn't work - the individual map lights do but not the main centre one.

Off side (UK) tail light dim.

I think that is about it.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
TonySLROC

TonySLROC

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-04-20

PostSubject: Problems   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 10:14 am

Hi guys glad to see you are all back safely. I am well chuffed with the defender not a single problem!!!

Regards

Tony Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.totalsolution.co.uk
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 11:42 am

Got hot uphills, and on long motorway journeys. Just had to lift off a bit.

Apart from that, just a fuse, for the 12v 4-way adaptor.

Back to Keith Gotts for a check over, service, check box as it jumps out of 2nd/sometimes 3rd on over-run (it did before), and replace exhaust system. (for £50 it's not worth welding it)

Cheers, Mark
Back to top Go down
Sparky

Sparky

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2007-02-16

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 12:24 pm

Dumped a bit of oil from somewhere, lots of it on the bottom of rear axle but not much indication from whence it came.
Seems to have an injector problem at a certain rev range, just stutters a bit every now and then.

BUT
Mandy covered the fridge air circulation vents over drying a towel !!!!!!!

It overheated switched off and all the beer got warm.... disaster
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 1:21 pm

Sad
Back to top Go down
4x4Bun

4x4Bun

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 1:31 pm

Team Thames Valley 4x4 - blew a fuse on the CD player - cause Lucky Trucker playing 'Rule Britannia' way too loud on the flag waving convoy through Calais on Day1 affraid

We then blew another fuse when the inverter decided it really didn't like my laptop being plugged in Rolling Eyes

Apart from that, no problems to report.....result

Bun
:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 1:37 pm

Bad news about the warm beer chaps - what a bummer!

Slight loss of power in the mountains due to the ECU panicing over the thin air. Bloody electronics, didn't have that trouble with my 2-door Rangies!

The miniscule blow on the Rangie's downpipe got a bit worse. Passenger's door handle broke (cast alloy).

Arriving back at Calais I drove straight on the ramp at Jean-Luc Guyot's garage. He dropped everything and repaired it there and then. After he plied Badger, Dr Evil, Rafe and myself with four large glasses of Ricard. Badger/Dr Evil said thanks but no thanks a departed quick sharp, leaving myself and Rafe to face the aniseed lake. With Rafe volunteering to drive, having downed one I was then presented with Badger's glassful. Half-cut at 2pm with loads of work to do back at Cafe de Paris getting the prize-giving sorted. HELP!!!!!

Jean Luc even brought a replacement secondhand door handle with him to the dinner that evening - what a good bloke!

Can't think of anything at all mechanically, unlike some the £800 Rangie didn't skip a beat. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mel_f

Mel_f

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-09-02

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 2:15 pm

Well The Camel performed OK - not the fastest but probably the heaviest !!

The only problem I recall was when the Wash Water Pump failed - this would normally not be a problem but as the wash water bottle is in the passenger foot well when Chalky went to wash the screen - I had an impromptu shower. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 2:42 pm

Team T'n'T - 200 Tdi Disco. Clutch slave cylinder died in its sleep! It was fine coming down the mountains, but did not want to leave the campsite in Andorra! Fortunately we had taken a spare with us and had lots of support - cheers Fred and the Pukka Posse! Lots of fluid later and we were off again!

What went wrong on LR2007? Landy_10

Oh... and we popped several fuses in the cigarette lighter playing with flashing beacons and..... the fluffy dice fell off during the offroad course!

Not too bad for 2900 miles door to door in 9 days (nearly 1/3 of an average person's yearly mileage!)

Lu and T :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 3:04 pm

200 tdi 90
i was impressed with it during the trip only the transfer box ran out of oil in the alps, and the welds that we did on the back door broke due to the good vibrations caused by speed.

got it home and there has been oil spraying out of the oil filler cap ontop of engine,
the fuel intake pipe has a hole in it and appears to suck air in to engine when starting up
rear shockers may have gone
will get us to abingdon im sure Laughing

now half wired up andy blokes switches
thankyou very much i owe you beer :!: :!: :!:

cheers kieran cheers
Back to top Go down
Dorset4x4

Dorset4x4

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-04-23

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Electrical connection came off the starter twice.

Not bad for a £600.00 22 year old 110 Wink

ok ok I konw I spent about £500 on the 200 TDI and pipe kit.

Bet it would have been more comfortable in the 300 TDI Disco, gone but not forgoten.

Series has new engine and is running again, might pop it in a pond again this weekend Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.dorset4x4.com
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 3:05 am

kieran wrote:
200 tdi 90

got it home and there has been oil spraying out of the oil filler cap ontop of engine

Kieren, This perhaps isnt good news...

Im assuming you had the oil filler cap on and its a decent fit. If the cap was missing or a very crap fit ignore below...

If so then the rocker casing is pressurizing. That means that the sump is running at pressure and that pressure is being released by the sump breather which feeds back into the rocker cover. There are a few reasons that the sump will be pressurizing, but lets hope you just need a quick head gasket change.

Normally on a 200tdi the H/G lets go between the back two pots, but chances are you have a leak between (im guessing now) one of those two back cylinders and one of the oil capillary tubes in the block. That being the case, a % of your compression isbeing forced down the capillary and into the sump...

As another check, with the engine running (tick over), remove the dipstick and listen carefully. I reckon you'll here a "chuff-chuff" sort of noise coming from the dipstick, indicating a pressurised sump.

Good news is head gaskets are easy to change and / or I could be completely wrong!!
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 8:03 am

sounds like a get together around keirans motor tomorrow then!!

:arrow:
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 11:47 am

hello,
cheers for the advice jon, i have just braved the cold and the rain and gone and tryed to listen to the dipstick hole but i have just driven to sheffield and back (54 miles) and i was abit def god knows how i made it through landy rally Laughing but there was a chuff chuff noise but i couldnt work out whether that was coming from the engine noise so ill try again before setting off tomorrow

now for the embaressing storey : today i was checking all of the oil levels on the landy, i checked the gear box level and splat 2 litres of oil came heading my way from our emergiency fill up in switserland without properly reading the haynes guide book of vagueness that doesnt tell you much ( we put the oil in the wrong hole and ran 150 miles with no oil in the transer box oooops Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed but hey look on the brigh side the gears seem to move so much more smoothly now cheers

any one taking a marquee to the show may need it with this rain !

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 11:50 am

i hope its not a head gasket my brother has just payed 850 squids to have his frontera fixed after his head gasket blow massivly
Back to top Go down
4x4Bun

4x4Bun

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 2:45 pm

4x4Bun was not completly right about Team TV4x4. We left Reading with a t-box oil leak, when it stopped leaking at Andora it was time to top it up again. Oil leak restored, all happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 1:16 am

kieran wrote:
i hope its not a head gasket my brother has just payed 850 squids to have his frontera fixed after his head gasket blow massivly

Kieren,
If it does transpire to be the head gasket - dont pay £850 to have it done... Study the Haynes manual, spend £30 on a gasket set and tackle it yourself. It really is an easy job, if you take your time and plan what you are doing.

The two most important things are to a) get the head gasket the right way up and round and b) torque the head bolts down in the right order and to the right torque. All of which is detailed well in the Haynes Manual.

All that said though Im not entirely convinced your oil problem is caused by a failed / failing H/G.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What went wrong on LR2007?   What went wrong on LR2007? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What went wrong on LR2007?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Landy Rally :: Your Wheels-
Jump to: