Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gearbox problem again!!!!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 11:30 am

Hi everyone. Merry Chrimbo - hope you all had a good one! santa rendeer

We did, but now the gearbox is playing up again!!! Embarassed Any advice welcome...

We have an LT77 (55G) gearbox in our Disco. In 1st gear whilst pulling away quickly, e.g. at a roundabout or junction, when the clutch is about half way up, suddenly there is no drive and a grinding noise Embarassed Once going it's fine. We replaced the clutch in September (3 piece kit) before the Rally and actually fitted this secondhand gearbox in October, as the original box (LT77 55H) was doing a similar thing when under load, e.g. towing in low range and pulling away Rolling Eyes Do you think it's a problem with the main transmission? :?:

Also, does anybody know... If we were to upgrade to an R380 later gearbox, would this go straight in or would we need to modify the bell housing, transfer box etc?

Help!!

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 1:06 am

Sorry to hear about the box, Lu!

Can't offer any advice, only best of luck getting it fixed!
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 3:29 am

Hiya Lu.
I took the liberty of posting your Question on my forum and here is a reply from my mechanic chappy.
Hope that it helps you a wee bitty.

Could be the mainshaft has worn where it enters the transfer-box.
(remove round plate at rear of transfer box to inspect splines)

Or

Somebody has fitted the clutch plate the wrong way around and it's touching the flywheel bolts....

wills
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 3:36 am

Cheers Mark and Bofa.

We'll continue to investigate! Currently reading the huge Disco workshop manual! study What a way to spend New Year weekend!

Lu and T :bom:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 10:03 am

hi L & T

what oil did you put in the gear box?

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 10:56 am

ATF as recommended by the book even though it's a manual gearbox. I know Difflock do some super duper oil though - perhaps it's worth a go. has anybody tried it? :?:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 3:37 pm

its all good then just making sure you havnt used EP 90 like some wally did
( me )

i just use the cheapest the shop sells Laughing

good luck sorting it, if your struggling to find anything i will ask on some other forums i some times use

cheers kieran santa
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 5:11 pm

How about trying the Discovery Owners Club - wealth of experience and all that?
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 12:07 pm

GO ON THEN! I'll ask the question?

Why ATF, instead of EP90?

cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 1:37 pm

I believe I heard somewhere in the dim and distant past, that EP90 eats into the rubber/polypropelyne/or whatever they are made from - of the oil seals. Am I right?

Come back and answer the question Jon (of Venture Overland) - all is forgiven! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 2:48 pm

it was on landy rally in switzerland when the transfer box ran out of oil and we didnt know what to do because we forgot to pack the all important EP 90 for the transfer box, many many many many many lots of thanks to Tom and Bager for saving us THANKYOU!!!!

anyway we put the EP 90 tom had managed to get for us into the gear box not knowing it was the gear box we filled up with an extra 2 litres + EP 90
my dad managed to get the right filler plug undone the next morning and we thought all was well,

it was only a couple of weeks after we got back that in the cold weather i found that changing down from second to first no matter how hard i pressed the cluthc wouldnt go, all of the gear changes were becoming more unsmooth so i asked around and realised what we had done and changed it to auto transmission fluid and it all runs smooth again
cheers

cheers kieran

happy new year
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 11:31 pm

Arh! Sounds plausible! Thank you. Another advancement in technology? Smile

Does that also apply to the R380 boxes? Just out of interest.

Glad you got it sorted now Kieran.

cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 3:03 pm

CarpeDiem wrote:
GO ON THEN! I'll ask the question?

Why ATF, instead of EP90?

cheers

Because that's what it says in the book was our reason!! study

We've sought advice from many avenues (including the Discovery Owners Club - cheers Tom) and we now think it may be the clutch - we don't have much luck with clutches! Mad (Remember Andorra Pukka Posse?!?!)

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 6:54 pm

Still looking for the clutch in my Rangie! Laughing
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 11:20 pm

"Remember Andorra Pukka Posse"

Seems so long ago, hope you get it sorted, best of luck!
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 3:55 am

Im not a great lot of help here Im affraid... Although Tom is right about the difference in ATF / EP90.

As for the gearbox / clutch - Id give Dave a call at Ashcrofts and pick his brains - nice chap and very helpful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 5:46 pm

Yes, he's been great, we've been emailing him.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox problem again!!!!!!   Gearbox problem again!!!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gearbox problem again!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1