Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Gadget ever... nearly free!

Go down 
+3
Tom Mc
LuckyTrucker
VentureOverland
7 posters
AuthorMessage
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Empty
PostSubject: Best Gadget ever... nearly free!   Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 3:24 pm

Well I think Ive just stumbled accross the best TD5 gadget... for next to nothing.

Can ya guess what it is????

!!! CRUISE CONTROL !!!!

Would you believe that all 2002 onward TD5 Defenders have a cruise control built into the ecu. Landrover simply decided not to give us access to it.

Well Ive done it and its great, all for the cost of a few switches and a bit of wire and connectors... Cool!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Best Gadget ever... nearly free!   Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 4:28 am

Do you know what the best feature of cruise control is? Better economy. The electronics take over as soon as there is a small drop/rise in speed and you don't use so much extra fuel in regaining your speed when on long motorway hauls.
The other advantage is it protects your licence. When on an open/empty dual carridgeway with a 40mph speed limit, set the cruise to 44mph and you will never be done. Result
Don't take any notice of what I say, I had the pleasure Crying or Very sad of going on a Speed Awareness Course. I was caught speeding in the Disco, pulling a trailer, so I consider that a result as well. Towing in a Landy with a trailer and still going too fast and would you believe it uphill cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Best Gadget ever... nearly free!   Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 9:23 am

Surely that has to be worth marketing Jon? A set of instructions, set of switches, exact length leads with connectors ... a sure-fire winner.

Just remember where to send my commission me ol' mucker!!! cheers

Paul, I've just got done for an 'incorrect registration plate' on the caravan. Seems they did not like my cardboard and felt tip version. Reckon they'll send me on a 'number plate awareness course'? Razz
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: Best Gadget ever... nearly free!   Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 10:43 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Surely that has to be worth marketing Jon? A set of instructions, set of switches, exact length leads with connectors ... a sure-fire winner.

Beat you to it Tom... Only its not quite so straight forward for ALL Defenders, working on it though.
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Fuel saving cruise control   Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 10:48 am

Since US vehicles are generally light years ahead of UK in terms of electirics etc my old Chevy has cruise control. While Paul is mostly right about cruise control saving fuel I find it a good idea to knock it off on long hills. If you dont it is so determined to stay at 70 (legal limit) no matter what it first drops overdrive then if gravity is still winning it pumps as much fuel into the V8 as it can. This loses all the savings gained in the previous 100 miles !!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
pinkpeople

pinkpeople

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Cruise Control   Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 6:32 am

Jon

we would be a customer as it has been somthing we have been looking for.
TD5

regards

www.pinkpeople.biz
Back to top Go down
http://www.pinkpeople.biz
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Best Gadget ever... nearly free!   Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 12:35 pm

oldbiker wrote:

we would be a customer as it has been somthing we have been looking for.
TD5

If your ECU has the wires in, it's a really easy mod to add yourself if you can drive a soldering-iron Smile

2 pushbuttons:
+12v Ignition -- button (Set) -- Black Pin 11.
+12v Ignition -- button (Clear) -- Black Pin 17.

A small (>100mA, <1A) fuse on the +12v is recommended.

Not all Td5's have the fully wired plugs, though. We used the Dastek wiring to get at the 'spare' pins on BJ's Td5.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: Best Gadget ever... nearly free!   Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Dont forget also that you need to ensure that the brake and clutch circuits are fully protected and that you have an isolator switch in there also to reset the cruise. Pin 17 does not reset, only suspend/resume. Also need to confirm that if a brake light goes out the brake-ecu circuit isnt comprimised.

The wiring and connector parts are the easy bits. There are however certain circumstances when the standard ecu will not allow the cruise to work, overdrive and disco gears in Defender T/Box for exmple. These are just a few of the issues currently known about, plus others which I wilkl not divulge just yet... Suffice to say, that in order for the cruise to work on all Defender TD5 cars under all conditions, a cruise remap will be required.

Got to say though, its great.
Back to top Go down
Smego

Smego

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: hijacking   Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 5:35 pm

I got nicked doing over a ton on the A331 the other night, after a breath test (it smelt sweet ;-)
They just let me off - RESULT!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Best Gadget ever... nearly free!   Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 3:43 am

Smeg - good to hear from you, trust you are well mate! Doing okay by the sound of it, but how he hell did you get away with that? Obviously you wouldn't have been 'under the influence' as you're not that daft, but I thought over a ton they automatically do yer. RESULT INDEED! cheers

BTW, 'bout time you stopped making babies and joined us ... you would love it! Again, good to hear from you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Gadget ever... nearly free!   Best Gadget ever... nearly free! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Gadget ever... nearly free!
Page 1 of 1