Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can someone let me know what these are called.....

Go down 
+2
Crazy~Johno
tpb4x4
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tpb4x4

tpb4x4

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Can someone let me know what these are called..... Empty
PostSubject: Can someone let me know what these are called.....   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:25 am

......Right here goes my 'sort of' explaination:

The wire straps that go from the bumper to the roof to push bushes out the way when you drive past........does that make sense? If so, what are they called?

Ta peeps

T
Back to top Go down
http://www.mac4x4challenge.co.uk
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Can someone let me know what these are called.....   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 11:01 am

tree cables, also are illegal as are not "pedestrain friendly" kieran has some on the front of pinky but hasnt ever had a problem with them and the old bill

he used abit of cable from B&Q
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars
tpb4x4

tpb4x4

PostSubject: Re: Can someone let me know what these are called.....   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 12:46 pm

Are they definately 'tree cables', sorry m8 Iam not doubting you (lol), Ive just heard them called something else in the past.....

Are they easy to fit? I haven't got any idea how to do it Wink lol
Back to top Go down
paul

paul

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: tree cables   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 1:04 pm

yeah as far as i know they are tree cables they used hem alot on the camel trophy.
Oh and they are illegal sorry
Back to top Go down
tpb4x4

tpb4x4

PostSubject: Re: Can someone let me know what these are called.....   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 1:10 pm

illegal, schmegal..... cheers silent Embarassed Razz You haven't seent the lights I've got!! haha....I have 4 blue blatent ring lights on my roof and 2 strobes on the front, amongst other....the police have even pulled me over and said they like the lights and asked wot I do with the Paj Smile Smile haha
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Can someone let me know what these are called.....   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 11:04 am

Bush wires! Not required where we are going, but essential in places like jungle environments.

No.1 scenario - much the same as walking through a wood, if you're not careful that branch you've just pushed to one side will come springing back and whack the person directly behind you in the mush! Same driving on a track. The vehicle in front will push the overhanging bamboo or branches to one side, and your windscreen is directly in the line of fire as it returns to its starting position. Bush wires will in this case save untold damage to your winscreen, not to mention your face as minute shards of glass would head your way in this extreme circumstance (although not regarded as extreme or unusual in the rainforest).

No.2 scenario - even gentle off-roading can result in smashed lights, body damage to windscreen surrounds or obviously the glass itself, although this would only occur if driving virgin woodland, forest, jungle (i.e. setting up a new off-road course on Farmer Jones' land). Bush wires are definitely effective fending off overhanging branches in all circumstances, so proving a great investment.

Whether they are illegal or not is an extremely grey area. They are an aftermarket accessory after all, so the law is open to interpretation on such items. Bolt a chrome horse to your car's bonnet - is this illegal?

What about taking thing's to the extreme ... let's say you are a farmer and bolt a milk-churn holder to the front of your working Land Rover, and in the process of driving from one field to another you are pulled by the Old Bill. Is this accessory illegal or not? Nobody actually knows unless a case has been taken to court resulting in a prosecution, in which case a legal precedent has been set. Until then, I wouldn't thought it is illegal - and same goes for bush wires.

Taken further, bullbars (or nudge bars/roo bars) are an equally grey area. As far as I'm aware, the government hasn't banned the use of aftermarket bullbars on old vehicles, so although distributors can no longer sell bullbars*, there is nothing to stop an owners buying a secondhand bullbar and bolting it on their vehicle.

The point is, what's the difference between bush wires and a bullbar ... or an external jerrycan holder, roofrack, spare wheel carrier, winch bumper, or any other exterior accessory? I would say do it, but be prepared for some jobsworth Plod to have a go during a boring shift!

As the Crazy one says, they can be bought from B&Q. They are actually designed as fencing wire, complete with a windable tensioner to obviously make the wire taught. So, per bush wire you require an eye each end, a tensioner and the wire itself. Simple, effective, cheap, look the part (well, to us off-roaders at least) and oh so rambler-friendly! I know I'd love to garotte that meddling, toothy cow Janet Street-Porter on one - President of the Rambler's Association I do believe - as we all know the countryside was built especially for walkers and nobody else. Grrrr, don't get me started!!! Mad

Ask me another! bounce

* From 25th May 2007, Minister of State for Transport has confirmed it isillegal to continue to manufacture and sell metal bull bars that do notcomply with the new EU legislation (Directive 2005/66/EC) for pedestrianprotection.
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Can someone let me know what these are called.....   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 11:42 am

Tom Mc wrote:
* From 25th May 2007, Minister of State for Transport has confirmed it isillegal to continue to manufacture and sell metal bull bars that do notcomply with the new EU legislation (Directive 2005/66/EC) for pedestrianprotection.

ferkin eeediot's! may as well ban soles on hiking boots... Grrrr2. I'll spare everyone the rant!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Can someone let me know what these are called.....   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Oooooooooo! Sounds as if you need a bottle or two of that rosé Tim and I have been downing.

Mind you, it is damn annoying. A thought - it may be "illegal to continue to manufacture and sell metal bull bars", but what happens if you make and fit your your own?
Back to top Go down
The slow & dirty gang

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: cables from the front of the car to the roof rack.   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 4:34 pm

scratch I know it's a bit late but if your still interested they are called : BUSH CABLES Twisted Evil

And I hope this helps even more. The link to the website :-

http://bushcables.com/

Always glad to help.

pirat pirat pirat

P.S. If you ask Kurt nicely he may give you some discount if you mention me from Humberside Land Rover Club. confused

Cheers ADAM
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can someone let me know what these are called.....   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 4:51 pm

Quote :
Prices start from £20.00 pounds all the way up to £40.00 for the

Shocked Shocked

by my calculations a full kit can be bought and posted for a tenner ( i havnt looked into the prices fully yet, sorry tim )

if anyones interested, ill make you a kit up to perfectly the same spec as those,
WARNING ....
Can someone let me know what these are called..... 8848_1

if you chose to fit the cables like this landy on their ebay site, make sure that the eyelet in the wing top has a thick spreader plate underneath as the aluminium will not take the load that may well be put on these cables, ive had mine caugh in a thick tree which pulled the cable down like a bow and arrow if that was on the wing top i would have been looking at a possibly expensive situation, make sure the eyelets are very strong

they missed the most important advertisment Laughing perfect for hanging you wet towl on after showering on the rally lol!

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
tpb4x4

tpb4x4

PostSubject: Re: Can someone let me know what these are called.....   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 2:41 am

Strange you mention them m8, they have just had confirmation this morning that they have agreed to sponsor me for the Landy/BOFA Rally and nxt yrs Mac4x4 Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can someone let me know what these are called.....   Can someone let me know what these are called..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can someone let me know what these are called.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Landy Rally :: General Chit Chat-
Jump to: