Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

head light conversions

Go down 
+5
The Lamb Chops
LuckyTrucker
andybloke
Tom Mc
paul
9 posters
AuthorMessage
paul

paul

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-06-08

head light conversions Empty
PostSubject: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 9:19 am

this may sound like a stupid question and if it is i will appologise but what is the head light conversion we need???
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 9:44 am

Not daft at all. The answer's a roll of black insulating tape and a Stanley knife!

Seriously, different if going for a 2-month touring holiday, but for a 1-week excursion like ours, then simply apply tape on to the clear parts of the headlights and hey presto - instant headlight conversion without paying through the nose for the real McCoy! If still unsure exactly where the correct part is found, see us at a show or even when you get over to Calais. It literally takes 2-3 minutes to apply, so no problem.

Alternatively, if you like spending money, buy a kit from any car accessory shop.
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 11:28 am

In the UK, your headlight lens points the beam to the side of the road, so you can see the kerb, lane markings, cats-eyes and pedestrians. When driving on the European side of the road, your lights end up pointing into the windscreens of oncoming cars.

Tom Mc wrote:
Alternatively, if you like spending money, buy a kit from any car accessory shop.

We ran with black tape last year, but I'll be using the thin prism type this year.
Tape stops the light pointing at oncoming traffic, but the prism type bend the beam over to the other side of the road - something we wish we had going into Italy at night!

Another Important Headlight Note: If you have a beam adjust control (more modern vehicles), make sure it's set correctly for the weight in the back. If you don't have a control, load up all the weight in the back, and adjust the beam angle with a screwdriver/spanner/whatever, so that the lights are again pointing slightly down, not into the sky!

We had a team blinding us from behind (headlights shining on the back of spectacles is really anoying!) last year for many mountain miles!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 6:01 am

Hi there, tape is ok to keep you legal but the conversion stick on bits of plastic are better. You need all the light you can get out of LR headlights. Last year we found a bulb kit and light benders and I think a GB sticker from Aldi's about a fiver I think. So a no brainer really. Still got the light kit in the car unused. Leave them in there and use bulbs from your stash when needed.
Best of luck

Last edited by LuckyTrucker on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
The Lamb Chops

The Lamb Chops

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 8:57 am

If you buy some half decent ones, when back in the UK pull 'em off and stick 'em together and they should have enough sticky left on them for next time! Got a full year out of a pair last year!!! Very Happy Very Happy

As Andy said, well worth adjusting your beam down to the correct level when loaded- I always leave mine low as it spends a lot of time towing heavy trailers.

Stu
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 10:02 am

Mine are still on from last September!!

Theyve been abroad a few times since as well. Figure I'll just leave them on.

Have never had a problem with oncoming traffic. When I need more light, the Lightforce's get switched on... then its daylight again!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 4:09 pm

Shame on you Jon, dazzling all of us UK drivers, oh! I forgot your lights are attached to a LR pale
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 5:00 pm

Are Land Rover lights still made by Lucas ... "The Prince of Darkness?!!!" Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Tom Mc wrote:

simply apply tape on to the clear parts of the headlights and hey presto - instant headlight conversion

How strict are they on these as I've fitted a set of headlights from Bolt on Bits (mentioned in another post by Tom) which are clear glass all over with the ring of led's round the outside. The led ring is switched so that's not a problem, however would the deflectors still work on mine with them being clear glass all over?
Back to top Go down
http://www.4chas.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi Bling ... back for more insanity? Wink

Now why doesn't that surprise me that you've got LED headlights? Living up to your name obviously! How about getting it from the horse's mouth by phoning/emailing Bolt On Bits and see what they say. Can't see how clear plastic deflectors would work myself, but what do i know? It'll be interesting to see what they reckon.
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 1:47 am

The lens disnae deflect the beam as in your day Tom.

I think when you buy a set of lens defletors they give you instructions where to position the stick on bitty onto the clear glass bitty.

Hope that makes sence to someone of your age.

anon:geek:
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 4:22 am

Bling 'n' well up 4 it wrote:

How strict are they on these as I've fitted a set of headlights from Bolt on Bits (mentioned in another post by Tom) which are clear glass all over with the ring of led's round the outside. The led ring is switched so that's not a problem, however would the deflectors still work on mine with them being clear glass all over?

The bulb position and reflector shape _should_ make them handed, in which case the deflectors go on just like the instructions say.

All CE marked headlamps should bend the beam to one side. If they only shine light forwards, and not forward and to the left, they probably have "Made in china" on them rather than the CE mark.

As you're likely to attract attention, you're gonna need the deflectors on, even if you don't need them (no deflectors, OR non-approved lights, at any time of day/night is a no-no).
Back to top Go down
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 6:29 am

andybloke wrote:

The bulb position and reflector shape _should_ make them handed, in which case the deflectors go on just like the instructions say.

All CE marked headlamps should bend the beam to one side. If they only shine light forwards, and not forward and to the left, they probably have "Made in china" on them rather than the CE mark.

As you're likely to attract attention, you're gonna need the deflectors on, even if you don't need them (no deflectors, OR non-approved lights, at any time of day/night is a no-no).

Thanks for that. I'm sure they are handed, as from memory they offered left and right handed option at the time. I'll double check with them but will get a set of the deflectors on anyway just to keep things right.

Cheers

D
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 7:38 am

Thanks for that. I'm sure they are handed, as from memory they offered left and right handed option at the time. I'll double check with them but will get a set of the deflectors on anyway just to keep things right.

Park up about 10 feet from a wall, you'll be able to see the pattern. Forward and left, UK. Forward and right, EU.

You will need masks/deflectors on them, otherwise they are illegal either here, abroad or both.

The prism (clear) type headlight stickers will be needed to correct all UK approved headlights.
The black stickers (or electrical/gaffer tape) will prevent run-ins with illumination enforcement plods, but you won't be able to see where you're going on some of the mountain roads!

If your headlights spread out both ways, your MoT tester needs retraining (or less bribes).
Back to top Go down
The Lamb Chops

The Lamb Chops

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 11:40 am

Tom Mc wrote:

simply apply tape on to the clear parts of the headlights and hey presto - instant headlight conversion

Should be a little raised 'nipple' (ooo errr) or indentation somewhere on the clear glass for lining up the stickey doo daa's

Stu
Back to top Go down
loncbt

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 3:13 pm

I've bought some....just gotta remember what the hell i've done with them!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.swporc.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 7:00 pm

Quote :
The black stickers (or electrical/gaffer tape) will prevent run-ins with illumination enforcement plods, but you won't be able to see where you're going on some of the mountain roads!

No problem, have my eyes shut half the time anyway whenever there's a drop. pale
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 5:25 pm

ive recently brought some of those crystal headlights as my old gaffa taped togathe rheadlights wernt really that good Laughing but these have the pattern on the rear so i think ill strategically have a drink close my eyes and randomly aim and stick a beam bender Laughing
cant go wrong
Back to top Go down
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 5:04 pm

The Lamb Chops wrote:

Should be a little raised 'nipple' (ooo errr) or indentation somewhere on the clear glass for lining up the stickey doo daa's

Stu

No "nipples" to play with on mine......just my luck!!!!! lol!

Quote :
Park up about 10 feet from a wall, you'll be able to see the pattern. Forward and left, UK. Forward and right, EU.

You will need masks/deflectors on them, otherwise they are illegal either here, abroad or both.

The prism (clear) type headlight stickers will be needed to correct all UK approved headlights.

If your headlights spread out both ways, your MoT tester needs retraining (or less bribes).

I'll give that a go at the weekend....as for the MOT bribes......aren't we all guilty of that?!!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 5:37 pm

Quote :
No "nipples" to play with on mine......just my luck!!!!!

imagionation is where its at Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 2:09 am

kieran wrote:
Quote :
No "nipples" to play with on mine......just my luck!!!!!

imagionation is where its at Wink Laughing

Or if your age, from a glossy mag

anon
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 12:05 pm

What glossy mag is that then Bill. Don't see any in LRM or LRO or LRE are there any others or am I sad git.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:07 pm

Probably Health & Efficiency. I bet the Lucky Trucker was 'raised' on it! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: head light conversions   head light conversions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

head light conversions
Page 1 of 1