Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what a day

Go down 
+2
Crazy~Johno
LuckyTrucker
6 posters
AuthorMessage

what a day Empty
PostSubject: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 8:00 pm

got up this morning, pinky was flat

got out onto the mountains for a practical lecture and the mist and the cold dropped in and set in for the day, i thought, ahh well that doesnt matter i have spot lights to get me to mud-club in mansfield, so i though
got about 400 metres away from halls where i live and the engine coffed and spluttered to a halt, just great then the battery went flat whilst i was trying to start pinky, on a blind poorly lit bend, fotunatly i sent out many texts for help, and first to respond were three girls from my flat who went much use at fixing pinky but provided a set of hazard warning lights and some entertainment, then marc turned up with all flashing lights going which i was quite jelous of at that point and a warm car, then lenny turned up with the spare fuel filter which i thought was the problem, fitte dthat and it ran fine for about 2 minutes untill i got about 10 metres futher down the road when the spluttering started once more Shocked i made it to about a metre away from the fuel pump and i remeber thinking steerings gone heavy and that barriers getting close, i then realised it had cut out again Shocked so i filled it up while marc and dad scratched their heads and jump started pinky which then seemed to run fine for about 10 miles i thought problem solved untill on the way up a hill it begun to happen again but this time much worse i could not regain power by pressing the clutch revving it then letting the clutch back in that was it dead turned over and over and over, no matter what we tried no joy, we followed the fueld system round checking for leaks and blockages found nothing, i felt like giving in at this point and getting the RAC, untill my dad suggested checking the infamous wiring, which we thought couldnt be wrong as theres only one wire in the whole system scratch but yes as soon as we took out a long wire connected to somthing else, i think it was the cb radio, and ran it from the battery to the fuel cut off and it started up and ran perfectly when tried Shocked

i know your sat there thining what all that without a fire, well to be truthful it was the biggest fire ive hadwith pinky, marc said he saw flames i certainly breathed in alot of the smoke and grabbed a hand full of wires from the battery in desperation and just pulled meaning i lost quite alot of electronics, the most annoying being the spot lights as the seem to really help in the fog, lost the rear fog light, the rear roof fog light and all power to interior lights and plugs but the basics still seemed to work, so we powered on to mud-club to find the pub had stopped serving food Sad no good for hungrey landy drivers

after the mud-club meet finnished we found a chippy in mansfield and was fed Laughing
happy ending i was hoping,
even better was the fact when i stopped at some random power station entrance for a wee i managed to fix one of the two radios so i had music again, but as if i wasnt tired enough i was faced with a security ( he wears a polo shirt so that makes him feel important ( like some people do No if only they realised ) ) guard who claimed i entrerd thecar park too fast and if there were to be some one there i could have ran them over, and in fairness i probley would have if they were there but at the end of the day it was half two in the morning, no one was there, except him sat there on his very important stool, he perhaps doesnt like me because i leave mud on his car park or somthing, never mind perhaps one day he may realise the blue oval on his polo shirt doesnt actually mean anything

may need to buy some wire from you andybloke,
that reminds me i have lectures soon Laughing

over and out

kieran study Sleep Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 6:15 am

Oh! Kieran what a sad tale and the pub had stopped serving food Crying or Very sad Methinks you maybe needing some in line fuses. I would suggest that may have too many "accessories" on Pinkie.
Now I'm no electrician but I would suggest from your battery direct you run upto the dash board area a nice fat power lead that has an in line fuse close to the battery. By use of a junction box you then power with the necessary relays your "accessories" these all of course with in line fuses close to the junction box. Then with the fat power lead up the security guards a@@@e connect to 220v Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 6:38 am

yeah what a night, ive never seen a car go from nice and fresh smelling (as fresh as pinky smells) to literally plumes of smoke and the whole of pinky filled with a thick white smoke and you couldnt see anything inside, not even the steering wheel from the drivers seat. The flames were pretty impressive to be fair pirat pirat

It was good fun jocolor drunken drunken drunken i managed to get back to sheffield at about 2ish Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 1:13 pm

Anybody think reimcarnation is a possibility ? I wonder if Pinky is a reincarnation of Mr Fawks - its spooky but on the very day we celebrate his experiment with central heating Pinky lures Kieran into open spaces then makes him spread fuel all over the engine by disconnecting various bits of fuel system and then just as rockets etc are going off all round the place it spontaneously ignites. I cant think of a more appropriate way to spend bonfire night - at least Pinky always joins in the party.

Glad to hear you got back OK - by the way what happened to that fire extinguisher you bought before Landy Rally ? Close to hand or what !!
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 1:59 pm

A sad tale indeed. I gathered you're covered for fire damage on your insurance? Far be it from me to suggest anything underhand, but perhaps next time you may forget where you put that extinguisher, poor ol' Pinky can have a Viking funeral, and you can pick up a cheque for the market value. Surely got to be more cost-effective than flogging your dead horse Kieran???
Back to top Go down
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 2:27 pm

he would have needed a big extinguisher for that thing, ah well theres plenty more copper in the world for you to burn pirat (just dont burn mine pale )

damange wasnt anything worthy of the insurance just of a trip to someone with 47miles of wire and a spare weekend to wire it up properly with fuses and stuff... bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 3:24 pm

id say the monkey in your display picture says it all marc

tom honestly could you sleep at night if pinky was no more? fire probley wouldnt have happend if it wasnt full of wood chips Laughing
on the bright side the design of a land rover means it can never burn as its always wet, and the fire extinguishers still behind the drivers seat

pinky will live to fight another day, just made a little more work for andybloke,

i suspect it was pinky letting out a little frustration that i havnt cleaned her in a long while
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 9:05 am

Does this mean that the drive will turn into a vehicle repair hotspot again when you come home this weekend ??

Better get the kettle on and some more milk and teabags then !!
Back to top Go down

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 4:12 pm

honey im home cheers Very Happy

may the early morning repairs begin like the good old times cheers
only electronics that need sorting i think ill make them useable again

has anyone got a spare wi pac spotlight cover as i lost one on the way home pale
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Gather it melted? Razz
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 2:23 am

The circuit-breakers in the battery box aren't connected, then, Kieran?

Still due up here next week?
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 7:50 am

hello,
yeah, the winds are still blowing north for next friday,
the circuit breakers did their job but it was the bits that wernt connected to the circuit breakers the bits i fitted in a rush the day before the rally Embarassed
a big rush it certianly was

what times best to ring you andy?

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

what a day Empty
PostSubject: Re: what a day   what a day Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what a day
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Landy Rally :: General Chit Chat-