Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Disco or Defender?

Go down 
+6
Keith Johnson
LuckyTrucker
Tom Mc
Crazy~Johno
andybloke
AlphaBravo
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AlphaBravo

AlphaBravo

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-03-25

Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 11:42 am

the cost to ship one is about the same as buying a car there, plus I can ship all my personal possessions in the vehicle under the same cost. Plus I want a landrover.. not some GM "truck"
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:39 am

to give yourself a fighting chance, dont forget about the container height...

Small tyres / rims are a good way to loose a few inches in height. As too are ratchet straps round the springs!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Because of a roof-rack full of gear, I've known of folk in the past that have simply driven into the container with completely flat tyres (knackered already so they weren't worried) and when they collected their Landy from the docks fitted the proper 35" rims and tyres stacked on board; simplicity itself!

As you say, yours is the best option as (a) you'll pick up a Landy here far cheaper than in Canada, and (b) you can also ship all your personal stuff at the same time. Get yourself around the LR jumbles and you could even take a stack of secondhand spares as well - radiators, starter motors, alternators, etc. to either use yourself or sell at a nice profit as I think I'm right in saying you wouldn't have to pay any import duty on used parts - or am I wrong saying that?
Back to top Go down
AlphaBravo

AlphaBravo

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 3:36 pm

Going over as a student you dont pay any import fees as far as i know.. And you can get discos there but there all 4L petrol ones... Id prefer a oil burner.. as also as a student I will have no money.. and dont want something that does 20mpg at most..
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 6:07 pm

Have you found a different breed of old Landrover diseasils to ours ?
Our 90 does about 22 on a good day and several pints of lager on a very bad day and Lenny only seems to get about 24 on a good day. Someone must be nicking the fuel Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Which part of Canada are you going to ??
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 11:33 pm

Sylvia Johnson wrote:
Our 90 does about 22 on a good day

That's because Pinky has the aerodynamic properties of a breeze-block, 200lb of junk in the boot, crispy noodle residue in the tank and someone turned the fuel pump to 11 Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:52 am

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.4chas.com
AlphaBravo

AlphaBravo

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 10:07 am

Im going to go to Barrie, which is about 100km north of Toronto.
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 3:25 pm

Just make sure you do the tourist thing and visit Niagra. It is truly awsome. Another place I would recomend is the Hamilton War Plane Museum. They have all these old planes and they don't just sit there, they fly them bounce bounce They also have the other flying Lancaster besides the one in the Queen's flight. My idea of heaven is hearing 4 Merlins on full chat Twisted Evil If you get a chance go upto one of them that has just landed and sniff. Hot metal, oil, oh dear!!! I've just come over all unessesarily. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 4:45 pm

We did a trip to Canada about 4 years ago flew into Toronto and then went down to Niagra were we collected our mobile home for two weeks all 30 foot and 6.3l under the bonnet !

Our first stop was Niagra Falls and the Touristy bit, but a trip on the boat down to the falls shouldn't be missed especially "Kate Winslett" style at the front. Ranks pretty high in my favourite Experiences.

Our first day out of Niagra found us at Barrie. I'm sure you'll like it there
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Hey Sylvia, did you spot the seedy hotels in Niagra that rented rooms by the hour :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect:
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Whatever do you mean ?? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Surely you need more than an hour for a good nights kip !! Sleep Sleep

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 11:31 am

I wasn't thinking about sleep bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 6:03 pm

Nice one Sylvia, you've really confused the Trucker. scratch
Back to top Go down
AlphaBravo

AlphaBravo

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 6:56 pm

LuckyTrucker wrote:
Just make sure you do the tourist thing and visit Niagra. It is truly awsome. Another place I would recomend is the Hamilton War Plane Museum. They have all these old planes and they don't just sit there, they fly them bounce bounce They also have the other flying Lancaster besides the one in the Queen's flight. My idea of heaven is hearing 4 Merlins on full chat Twisted Evil If you get a chance go upto one of them that has just landed and sniff. Hot metal, oil, oh dear!!! I've just come over all unessesarily. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Been to niagra in the winter Smile I have family in the barrie area (well.. Orillia) So I visit as much as I can with my leave. Normally twice a year. Im going again in june for 3 weeks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
m0jpm

m0jpm

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:32 am

AlphaBravo wrote:
What would you recommend? My budget is around £5000...

neither.. get a land cruiser Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.uk4x4centre.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:35 am

I wonder, who would be daft enough to have an enormous Landcruiser and enter arena games involving tight turning circles between cones? scratch
Back to top Go down
m0jpm

m0jpm

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:42 am

Tom Mc wrote:
I wonder, who would be daft enough to have an enormous Landcruiser and enter arena games involving tight turning circles between cones? scratch

and the winner was?????????????????????????????????????
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:49 am

No comment! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
m0jpm

m0jpm

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:53 am

Tom Mc wrote:
No comment! Embarassed

Where are all the photies from last week?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 6:01 am

In the camera still. Can't find the all-important lead that transfers piccies from camera to PC - mislaid in the recent house move. Have to buy one.

Also have to learn how to post photos, still haven't mastered that confusing art yet!
Back to top Go down
m0jpm

m0jpm

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 6:04 am

Tom Mc wrote:
In the camera still. Can't find the all-important lead that transfers piccies from camera to PC - mislaid in the recent house move. Have to buy one.

Also have to learn how to post photos, still haven't mastered that confusing art yet!

its easy, open a photobucket account, upload your photos to their server, copy and paste the code to the forum

bob ur uncle Idea
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 6:07 am

I know - Andybloke, Badger, Firestarter and others have told me all this in the past, but having opened an account I seem to get to a set point and nothing happens from then on. Can't remember exactly what as it's been a while, guess I should try again. They don't call me 'Technology Tom' for nothing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disco or Defender?   Disco or Defender? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disco or Defender?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2