Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Team Diesel Head

Go down 
+10
Rally Raiders
Lu and Tweedie
Keith Johnson
The Lamb Chops
VentureOverland
andybloke
Tom Mc
Sylvia Johnson
Crazy~Johno
JC
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 7:08 pm

Potti wrote:
Tom Mc wrote:
your turn.

Ok film buffs where does this come from?

Lets get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Don't know the answer to this one, but I do know where the meaning of "getting down to brass tacks of the matter" comes about. Anyone else know?
Back to top Go down
Potti

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 12:01 am

Don't know the answer to this one, but I do know where the meaning of "getting down to brass tacks of the matter" comes about. Anyone else know?

DaDaaaaaa

"BRASS TACKS -- There are no brass tacks, only brass-headed ones, used because they rust less easily. The American expression, which has been traced back only to 1903, though it may have been common before then, has several possible origins. Brass-headed tacks were used in upholstering chairs, especially at the foundations of the chairs, and in taking a chair apart to reupholster it from the bottom up, craftsmen might have said they were getting down to business, to the root of the matter, getting down to the brass tacks. There is no solid evidence for this theory, however, just as there is none for the country-store hypothesis. Merchants in country stores, it's said, hammered brass-headed tacks at intervals into their fabric department counters to indicate lengths of a yard, a half-yard and a quarter-yard. After a customer selected the cloth she wanted, the merchant would say, 'All right, now we'll get down to brass tacks - I'll measure it up for you.' This certainly was a practice in the country stores and a common one at about the same time the expression is first recorded." From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997). Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.dieselhead.org.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 3:05 pm

My, we have been Googling haven't we? Wink

Well, you're half right. The 'brass tacks' part may have well originated from the upholstery trade, but "getting down to brass tacks of the matter" is Cockney rhyming slang for 'facts' as in "getting down to the facts of the matter".

Simple peeps! Smile
Back to top Go down
Potti

PostSubject: Graphics unveiled   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 2:37 pm

Fanfare.... Team Diesel Head's TD5 is now looking wicked with the graphics advertising our generous sponsors. Go take a look! cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Yep, have to agree mate, the graphics are looking mighty good. Just a mention though JC, on every page of your website poor ol' Diesel Head's been chopped in half at the bottom the each page - or is it just on my PC?

The other point is, is it just me or do the angles on that front bumper look lethal? Great going forward, but they appear to be shin-busters in reverse! The entire bumper seems to be too wide for the vehicle or is it the angle the photo has been shot? Thought I'd mention it.
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2009-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Yep, have to agree mate, the graphics are looking mighty good. Just a mention though JC, on every page of your website poor ol' Diesel Head's been chopped in half at the bottom the each page - or is it just on my PC?

The other point is, is it just me or do the angles on that front bumper look lethal? Great going forward, but they appear to be shin-busters in reverse! The entire bumper seems to be too wide for the vehicle or is it the angle the photo has been shot? Thought I'd mention it.

Indeed Tom 'ol Diesel Head has had the chop! Not my doing, all Jo's work and I pointed it out too. Maybe he'll be reunited with his 'better half' at some point...who knows.

2nd point. Your eyes don't decieve you Tom tho' it's not what I would could lethal. Ever since it's been put on the Landy (for fittings check) I,ve had intentions of removing again to drag the ends back more in line with the bonnet profile when looking down upon the bonnet. Simply not had the time yet as the D2 has been modified in other areas too, namely conversion from 7 seater to Commercial. If I'm not doing something else to the wagon then rain stops play. Hope to have it done before the rally. I know only too well how awful the bumper looks at present so thanks for the confirmation!
In actual fact it isn't any wider than the Landy so I think the straightness does give a bit of a false impression.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 3:24 pm

If it's no wider as you say, then some simple fill-in's may be the answer?
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 10:48 am

Tom Mc wrote:
If it's no wider as you say, then some simple fill-in's may be the answer?

Absolutely! If I can get my mitts on some box section that'll sleeve over the existing box then simply kick the angle back both ends.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 7:10 pm

Strewth, you'll need to uprate your suspension at this rate. Not to mention cars, they will just bounce off you; shame! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 9:30 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Strewth, you'll need to uprate your suspension at this rate. Not to mention cars, they will just bounce off you; shame! Very Happy

Bounce.........hmmm, sounds good to me! bounce

Actually upon looking at the iron work this a.m I have decided that although it won't win any style awards it still looks worse in the pics than reality. (removes rose lensed shades) Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 10:24 am

No problem then, sure you've better things to be getting on with anyway. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Looking at the photos on your team website - http://www.dieselhead.org.uk - is Jon Dennis of Poole Protyre really that tall, or is Potti really that short? scratch Laughing
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 11:58 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Looking at the photos on your team website - http://www.dieselhead.org.uk - is Jon Dennis of Poole Protyre really that tall, or is Potti really that short? scratch Laughing

lol! Correct on both counts Tom. Even I stood on the front bumper at one stage and told Jon to look me in the eyes instead of over me all the time. Apparently his family are all very tall except his mum. Even his daughter isn't too far behind him.

I was thinking of cutting a hole in the footwell of the Landy so that Jo can see where she is going when she's driving! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Potti

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 6:54 am

JC wrote:

I was thinking of cutting a hole in the footwell of the Landy so that Jo can see where she is going when she's driving! Very Happy

Oi affraid I'd probably fall through it and the last you'd see of me is a blip in the mirrors bouncing down and around 48 hairpin bends! bounce
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 10:20 pm

We wouldn't want to pass a potty Potti bottom of the pass, now would we?

Try saying that fast after a couple of glasses of Aussie red! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Potti

PostSubject: our newest press release   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 9:36 am

This is a link to the press release on the Protyre website

http://www.protyre.co.uk/pressrelease.aspx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 10:57 am

nice one !
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 9:45 pm

Wey hey, fame at last! Good one DH.
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 1:35 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Wey hey, fame at last! Good one DH.

Cheers Tom!
Still waiting for someone to actually snap up the release and get back to us.
Jon at Protyre actually took several pics but not put any on their webbie which suggested to us that it may possibly be covered by a local rag.

Still, can't complain as the Bournemouth Echo also did a release.

A recent addition to our D2 is the lightbar (ebay) with 4 neat little 55w lamps I bought at the Billing Show.
Thanks Tom for putting me in touch with Stunning Services 4x4 but due to finances I decided to have a go at rigging the lights up myself (gulp).
I was chuffed to bits at the results and so used taking the dog out for a late night walk as an excuse to try them. bounce

Thought the Firestarter might like this pic. Twisted Evil

Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Td5%20a26

The only problem I found was the amount of glare that hit the screen and so I fabricated a shield at work to eliminate this. I haven't put this to the test yet......do what Smudge? You want to go late night walkies again?
Very Happy

Team Diesel Head - Page 4 IMG_0026_1
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 6:29 am

So Smudge runs alongside the Disco on a lead? Lazy burger! tongue

Incidentally, I have the same lights squat spots on my lightbar. Yep, they're neat.
Back to top Go down
Potti

PostSubject: Ready steady beddy   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 3:27 pm

Salut!.... Nous sommes off in the morning! See whomever is at le Fort Lapin in Sangatte demain and the rest on Vendredi at Raymond Poincare Calais.

Diesel Head is being unbearable .... I dunno gorrillas eh?

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 12:43 am

Bon Voyage ! Nous sommes off sur Vendredi !

Where's Bable fish when you need it lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Team Diesel Head   Team Diesel Head - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Team Diesel Head
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4