Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A worrying trend in the forum............

Go down 
+7
Keith Johnson
ardvark2345
LuckyTrucker
Tom Mc
theshortwayround
batfink
CarpeDiem
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 1:55 am

I think rewiring is definately the best option. I have managed to get the rear and fromt n/s sidelights hazard and indicators to work by cleaning the connections on the back of the fuses but now the front o/s isnt working (previously this was the only one that did). The rain has started again so I have had to give up. Kieran and I will have to look again after the holidays.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 9:17 am

Thanks for all your help.

It looks like the head gasket was partially blocking a waterway on the block.

So, several types on order. Reassemble, and hopefully..........

Cheers, Mark
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 4:21 pm

I've got my fingers crossed for you this time.

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 4:57 pm

Lu and Tweedie wrote:
I've got my fingers crossed for you this time.

Well that'll really help Lu!!!

Seriously Mark, hope all goes well. Ive got my fingers crossed too!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 5:51 pm

I've got everything clrossed for you too, although some were uncomfy, so i uncrossed them! pale

:arrow:
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 11:27 pm

lol!

Thanks for all your comments, and good luck wishes.

Best regards, Mark
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 11:39 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

SHE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And with a new MOT!

Thanks for all your help, support!

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 1:08 am

Glad she's ack and running Mark...

What was the final diagnosis?
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 3:26 pm

Hi Jon,

Possible waterway blockage, or the head gasket not sitting properly, caught in a bolt thread, or something. :face:

Will post further info (albeit, not very exciting) at the weekend.

Cheers, Mark
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 3:28 pm

Glad she's ok and back now! See, crossing your fingers does help!! cheers

Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: It's catching!   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 3:26 am

We've just had to try and identify a boost leak on the Td5 ... heading back north from Billing, we had a nasty hissing when the turbo started working, and 0-70 times measured in minutes.

Should have been easy to find - compressed air into the snorkel, and listen for the hiss where it comes out of the leak.
Turns out that when Farnell Land Rover replaced the body, they didn't put any of the seals back in the snorkel, so the engine was breathing air in from under the bonnet. Glad we didn't go wading at Billing!

Still not found the boost leak, but I think it may have been the EGR valve sooted open, as it cured itself. EGR's disconnected now, just to be sure.

Very useful diagnostic tool: Canned smoke. Spray it into the top, blow it down with a little compressed air, and see where it emerges!

.a :@:
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 4:02 am

Hi,

Best of luck!

"0-70 times measured in minutes"

I got to 70 once, albeit downhill with wind assistance! Smile

Cheers, Mark
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 4:32 pm

Hi Mark, 2.5 NAs can be made to trot along quite nicely. When we have returned from the rally I will have to introduce you to our good doctor in Basingstoke. He is a very,very nice man. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi LuckyTrucker,

Smile Thanks.

Just done 200 gentle miles, so will trundle along a motorway now, and see! Also noticed the hand throttle has been moved up a few notches, since I last drove it, not sure how much difference that makes, will find out.

Thanks again, see you soon, mark
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 7:38 am

Hand Throttle, aka. Cruise Control :bom: :bom: :bom:
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 8:58 am

scratch

Arh, yes. It's been moved down a few notches to the last one, and not up, in terms of revs.

Thanks, mark
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 3:14 am

Hi there, and there I was happy and confident all I would be doing between now and September was a a service. Well yesterday I had a NS/F wheel bearing give up on me. Nothing to dramatic just the wheel sieze up at 45mph. affraid First thoughts as the steering wheel was wipped out of my hand puncture, no such luck, bearing again. Funnily enough it happened 1/2 mile from where I had the other side go.
When that happened all the hubs came off bearings checked and greased, can't think why this bearing went, maybe something I do to the bearings when I marrinade them in sandy, muddy water. Let's hope we get it right this time, thinks!! maybe take a spare wheel bearing or 2 on the rally.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 6:25 am

My piece of highly technical advice to avoid future wheel-bearing failure ... take another route!
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 9:14 am

Hope that's all it is,

Cheers, mark
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 4:15 pm

Afaid I maybe using the wrong marrinade confused confused
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 12:58 pm

Kieran and I have had the front n/s bearing collapse, spookily just after we had taken the hub apart to fix an oil leak. We are now convinced that it is necessary to cram in as much grease as is possible. We also intend to make that high melt grease for September in case of high brake temperatures combined with high ambient temperatures causing ordinary grease to run out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 2:53 pm

Yes, wheel bearings and high melting point grease - good plan! Idea

Hmm... 2 jobs now in progress / planned for the weekend - replace rear caliper and clutch - ouch another hole in our rally funds! No

Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 12:05 am

[quote="Lu and Tweedie"...ouch another hole in our rally funds! No

Lu :bom:[/quote]

Forget rally funds! So long as you have the trusty VISA card you'll be alright. Very lightweight, easy to pack and lasts for ever!
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 4:46 pm

VentureOverland wrote:

Forget rally funds! So long as you have the trusty VISA card you'll be alright. Very lightweight, easy to pack and lasts for ever!

So true! Poor thing doesn't know what has hit it! But we have managed to get two more sponsors on board - yipee! cheers

A huge concrete company who are local to us - Armcon (www.armcon.com) have given us a big donation - diesel money - brilliant!! Cool

And Imagine (www.I-3D.co.uk) - the company Tweedie works for who make bespoke furniture and kitchens have given us a donation - money towards the roof rack - Yeah! sunny

So things are looking brighter! Just got to get more vinyls made!

Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 11:21 pm

Well done! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A worrying trend in the forum............
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next