Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tom's RR ambulance/camper

Go down 
+6
Keith Johnson
bauldrick
Sylvia Johnson
cadarn
Tuggy
Tom Mc
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Tom's RR ambulance/camper Empty
PostSubject: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 pm

Well, Pinky managed to tow both my RR ambulance from Coventry to Welshpool, plus the blue Rangie Calais to Welshpool - well, all apart from the last hour of the epic journey. Your new mechanic Baldrick had to head due south for 1 hour from Welshpool to tow the trailer with a rather sad-looking blue Rangie on board on the final lap, thus allowing poor 'ol Pinky to recuperate after the marathon trip.

Okay, with Pinky's air filter removed for better breathing it would have made it, but Kieran didn't want to place any more strain on the motor. Fair enough, plus it gave me a chance to chat to Baldrick about LR`10 a bit more. Tell you, the man knows his stuff so will be ideal for the traumas, trails and tribulations that Landy Rally tends to throw up. He’ll slot in a treat.

Both the RR ambulance and blue Rangie are safely tucked up at Baldrick's workshop now, so I'll keep you informed of progress as and when.
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 3:42 pm

tom what was the out come of the rangy,,,was it the engine fooked,,,,,
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Turns out the torque convertor was okay, knackered camshaft apparently. Me I'm hopeless when it comes to engine internals, so I'll go with the flow.

It can wait for a while, best I get the ambulance up and running so I start coverting it to a camper over the winter - busy year ahead! bounce
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:32 pm

V8 engines don't cost a lot, sometimes no more then a few beers.
You'll change it in a weekend
So go for it
Back to top Go down
http://www.dezeilmaker.nl
Tuggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 2:48 pm

tom i just bought a 97 3.9 disco,,,60k on the clock,,,,,runs as sweet as a sweet thing in a sweet shop,,, Cool
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 6:44 pm

Nine one, on cheaper Spanish petrol as well. Result!

Sorting out the ambulance first Jaap, then it will be an engine swap for the blue Rangie. Time as usual, not to mention money! It will happen, all in good time.
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:55 am

Are you going to have one of them ready for 19th December ?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 6:45 am

A very good question, I would like to know the answer to that one too! Hopefully, but I am after all in the hands of the great unwashed ... Baldrick! affraid

Yep, should do. Once he gets his teeth into something that's it, job done! Thing is the priority is the ambulance, but that needs an MOT. Providing nothing disastrous is lurking within it’s innermost reaches, then with a 12-month ticket I’ll be rolling again. Granted it will still look like a bag ‘o’ nails with its weathered bodywork, but that’s the least of my worries. Once on the road I can start to covert it into a camper over the winter, the idea being that by Spring I can have it sprayed and looking pretty if the funds allow. That’s the cunning plan anyway, but you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men …
Back to top Go down
bauldrick

bauldrick

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 12:50 pm

December , hahahahahaha no chance , end of may be , the wiring and brain you gave me is the wrong one for the engine , lamb-er sensors and wrong Resistance on the injectors but am looking in to it don't panic , ta
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Shit ........................................... zu puppies are very nice, but I'm more concerned about the ambulance!

Wrong loom? Damn!!! By the sound of it, don't think it'll be ready for the Christmas bash folks. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Well, you are know to find a way out of everything. I'll imagine you will be able to join is with a 4x4 after all
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 2:48 am

Quote :
By the sound of it, don't think it'll be ready for the Christmas bash
Never mind it will be good for the rest of us to see a hire car going round Sibbertoft and I will have the camera ready, It could even feature in the next masterpeice for LennyTube ....
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
JC

JC

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2009-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 5:39 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Shit ........................................... zu puppies are very nice, but I'm more concerned about the ambulance!

Wrong loom? Damn!!! By the sound of it, don't think it'll be ready for the Christmas bash folks. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

This one is nearly ready Tom! Very Happy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gloster-Saro-6X4-GMC-V8-DIESEL-SPARES-OR-REPAIR_W0QQitemZ230394669185QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item35a497a881
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 7:16 am

"Lennytube", I like it! Quick ... copyright it!!! Very Happy

"This one is nearly ready" lol!

That was funny JC, opening up the link to reveal a near-perfect 6x4 ... NOT!

In the description it states - "BREAKS WOULD NEED TOTAL OVERHALL". Are they talking about the components that stop the vehicle or all the life-threating BREAKS they purposely didn't list?
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2009-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 7:32 am

Tom Mc wrote:
"Lennytube", I like it! Quick ... copyright it!!! Very Happy

"This one is nearly ready" lol!

That was funny JC, opening up the link to reveal a near-perfect 6x4 ... NOT!

In the description it states - "BREAKS WOULD NEED TOTAL OVERHALL". Are they talking about the components that stop the vehicle or all the life-threating BREAKS they purposely didn't list?

Probably the latter Tom but in a kind of cryptic manner.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 8:04 am

Just gone back to it - NO, not to buy it - as there was something bugging me about the whole thing. Call me an anorak by all means, but I'd call it 'observation' :-

1. It states Reg. Date: 20 Mar 1991. I would say that it's more like from the 1970's or very early 1980's. The state of it alone suggests it's been sitting around for a vary long time.

2. The metal Range Rover badge on the scuttle above the front wing - that was only found on 2-door Range Rovers, and they were phased out in 1981. Okay, maybe they could have used an old badge, but for a 'modern vehicle' supposedly first registered in 1991, why would they add a badge from the 1970's that would have been viewed as old fashioned and obsolete? Strange.

3. The front side lights/indicator cluster - this too was the type found on 2-door Rangies. If this 6x4 was post 1981, why did they not fit the new lights from the 4-door version?

4. But for me the biggest giveaway are the windows. If a 4-door RR was used as a base vehicle for conversion (pre-1981), then why did the windows have to be adapted? They look as if they are sliding!!! 4-door glass could have been left intact, whereas the glass from a 2-door donor vehicle would have to be narrowed (the 2-door RR doors were wider).

I smell a rat! No Think I'll ask the buyer a question ...

Perhaps it was first registered in 1991, but what year was it actually built? 1970's or early 1980's I would suggest.

Answer should be interesting. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 8:22 am

Well I sent the question. As you do a green tick pops up on the screen -

Argh!!!! Thought for a second I'd bought a heap of rusty metal! affraid

As it happens, if it stays at £410 it's quite a good deal, even taking into account it's on the Isle of Skye! The engine alone is worth that, plus extended chassis' like that don't crop up too often.

And once again NO, I'm not bidding for it.
Back to top Go down
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 9:24 am

Looks like one right up the growlers street to me? Wink
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 1:28 pm

At a bid of 410 pounds it says reserve not met, I take it owner won't sell
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Tom Mc wrote:

What you need is a good old diesel. Only 6 wires - less if you don't want the temperature gauge or tacho. You don't need to break out the WD40 if you go through a puddle, either.
pirat
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 5:21 pm

At least with the 6.2 GM Detroit diesel you can still have a shiny V8 badge on the rear tailgate. Very Happy

BTW, it was finally sold for £700. Good price if you live in Scotland, not so good if you live in down South. Ferry fees to the Isle of Skye and back, the hire of an extra long HGV transporter including driver, fuel, time, and one hellava lot of restoration work to come. Why did I buy it? geek

... I'm joking! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 am

Tom Mc wrote:
1. It states Reg. Date: 20 Mar 1991. I would say that it's more like from the 1970's or very early 1980's. The state of it alone suggests it's been sitting around for a very long time.

I smell a rat! No Think I'll ask the buyer a question ...

Perhaps it was first registered in 1991, but what year was it actually built? 1970's or early 1980's I would suggest.

Answer should be interesting. Smile

I did ask the question and the seller replied ... 1974.

I thank you, just call me Sherlock - I said "Sherlock" not "Shylock"!
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 10:05 am

When was the last time you went to Skye ?

True you can get a ferry but if you go to Kyle of Lochalsh there is a rather large bridge that gets you there !!!!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:34 pm

That explains a lot. Bridge was built 1995 (just Googled it) and I was there in the early 80's. Never actually made it over there as a combination of storms and my wobbly sea-legs meant it was a complete non-starter. Maybe one day, hear it's beautiful.

BTW, just got fully comp insurance on the ambulance for £124.00 Good stuff eh? cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 3:24 am

an old diesel or an old 3.5 on carbs Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tom's RR ambulance/camper   Tom's RR ambulance/camper Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tom's RR ambulance/camper
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next