Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10

Go down 
+9
Badger
Crazy~Johno
loncbt
andybloke
TonySLROC
roamingman
Sylvia Johnson
cadarn
Tom Mc
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Empty
PostSubject: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 am

So, Wayne (your Event Manager for LR`10) and I spent most of yesterday going through the proposed route of Landy Rally 2010, and boy was it worth it. We have created a route which is definitely the best yet, with more off-roading than ever. Exactly how this was achieved I still can’t fathom out, but one big factor was the fresh focus Wayne brought to the table. Events sometimes need a new perspective, that’s exactly what took place.

To whet your appetite, here is the daily types of roads over which we’ll be travelling though the 11 countries, plus the evening campsites:-

Day 1: Official start in Maastricht, Holland. Main roads, motorways. Six countries on the first day. Camping in Feldkirch, Austria where we’ll meet up with some local off-roaders for a little tipple!

Day 2: Main roads, three more countries, three mountain passes including the incredible Stevio Pass in Italy with its 60+ hairpins, camping by Lake Como, Italy.

Day 3: A misty 40 mile lakeside drive early morning as the sun comes up, then boring motorway to make up time (well, maybe not so boring as you’ll be competing for space with mad Italian drivers!!!!!!!!), off-roading at the largest/highest/most beautiful off-road centres in Europe - Val d’Isére, camping in Val d’Isére village.

Day 4: Mountain roads, main roads, motorways, camping at a beach resort on the Mediterranean (a first for Landy Rally).

Day 5: Mountain roads and passes, main roads, shopping in the tax-free haven of Andorra (another completely new location), a glorious off-road route down into Spain, camping in the Catalan Pyrénées.

Day 6: Main road, Spanish greenlanes, camping in west of the Pyrénées.

Day 7: Driving the area I call the ‘dustbowl’. As there is so much more to see and drive in there, it is Wayne’s intention to carry out a reconnoitre there this summer (this being completely independent of my recee of the entire 3,000 LR`10 route in June – including the dust bowl) so come September it will be all mapped out and therefore sheer heaven! Afterwards it will be main roads. Camping in the North Western Pyrénées in France.

Day 8: Main roads, half-day driving with French off-roaders in the Dordogne.

Day 9: Main roads, motorways. One hour less drive than LR`09, but still a long boring drive up to Calais – NO CHOICE! The lure of the prize-giving dinner at the Café de Paris keeps you going.

Again, be aware this is only the proposed route for LR`10, so nothing will be definite until carrying out the June recee. That said, it is 80% definite.

Also new will be the Road Rook. This will be completely revamped, making it far easier for first-timers and old-stagers alike.

To top it all, it is hoped Wayne can join me for the reconnoitre in June. No promise as yet for he’ll have to fit it in between his TV commitments (he’s currently working on the “Doctors” TV soap these days) so we’ll see.
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:05 pm

hi Tom,
Looks very nice indeed.
Hope you don't mind, but I copied your text to our "prikbord" and on the Belgium landyforum.
Who knows it helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dezeilmaker.nl
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Copy away ... and thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:15 pm

This sounds really good. I'm looking forward to making my acquaintance with that termite hill in the dust bowl at long last ! So please include some directions even if we have to make a detour to find it !

Mind you I really don't fancy the Italian Auto-Strada . They really are crazy drivers

affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Mmmmm, that's exactly why I mentioned them, I know you just can't wait. Gotta agreee they are mad, so best close your eyes and think of England!!!

As for the infamous "termite mound", we'll make certain you see it, after all it has become your Holy Grail. bounce
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:41 am

Route looks great, really looking forward to the rally cheers
As for italy you just have to drive as mad as them cheers

Was better when I was HGV driver they gave way before I
make them more affraid affraid of you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
TonySLROC

TonySLROC

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-04-20

PostSubject: Copy   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:09 am

Hi Tom is it ok for me to copy this to the SLROC Forum?

Regards

Tony
Back to top Go down
http://www.totalsolution.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:22 am

Of course mate, go right ahead. After all, Suffolk Land Rover Owners Club will be entering at least three teams this year, would expect nothing less! Wink
Back to top Go down
TonySLROC

TonySLROC

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-04-20

PostSubject: SLROC   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:26 am

Definetly 2 teams Tom. With the route now on the forum who knows it may be more. we have had a lot of new members this year.

Tony
Back to top Go down
http://www.totalsolution.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:45 am

Nice one. I'm in the process of updating the website too, so some pretty photos will help.
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:58 am

Hi Tom can i copy the route to the D3 forum, cheers
Regards kevin
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 4:05 pm

This Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 will be uploaded on the main Landy Rally www.landyrally.com website very soon - maybe even tonight according to Andybloke - or at least VERY soon.

As soon as it is you can then copy & paste a link direct to the page direct on the D3 website. Any problems with this, I can PM the link to you then you can simply transfer it from there.
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:36 am

Tom Mc wrote:
This Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 will be uploaded on the main Landy Rally www.landyrally.com website very soon - maybe even tonight according to Andybloke - or at least VERY soon.

Sorry. That took a little longer than I expected, but is much more manageable now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
loncbt

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Tom...it sounds awesome....

unfortunately we deffo cant make it again this year(off to USA in October and cant afford both), but i'll be there with you guys in spirit!
Back to top Go down
http://www.swporc.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Cheer guys, i know that. Enjoy the U.S. of A. y'all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:27 am

italian drivers are like playing rugby, dont get jumped on by the big ones !!! Laughing
souding good

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 3:48 pm

cadarn wrote:
hi Tom,
Looks very nice indeed.
Hope you don't mind, but I copied your text to our "prikbord" and on the Belgium landyforum.
Who knows it helps.

Belgium forum seems to give us some interested people, Dutch not yet.
Try to keep 'm interested by answering as many questions as I can.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Good man - your beer's being chilled! cheers
Back to top Go down
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 3:54 pm

Looking good even a night in feildkirk (or however its spelt) with Sebastian for the annual stop, hopefully no breakdowns this year!! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars
cadarn

cadarn

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Good man - your beer's being chilled! cheers

Yours too, think you'll be sooner in Holland as we will be in brittain
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 4:02 pm

We spent a night at a hotel in Feldkirch on LR 08 same one as Dirty weekenders went to on LR 09. both for the same reason OOOPs. So a scheduled stop will be very different !.

How long does it take to get from Calais to Maastricht - Lenny speed ? Just wondering if we need to set out Thursday evening instead of Friday morning ! scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 4:08 pm

Last year you almost passed the city as crossing Holland. But driving straight through france and Belgium I suppose about 3,5 hour.

:?: :?:

Checked Google: 3 hours and 1 minute
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 4:10 pm

We didn't hit Holland until about 4pm ! so better catch an earlier ferry and find a decent hotel for Friday night. No point in starting off without sleep !!
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 4:19 pm

That's for sure a better idea: starting at 9, a drive of at least 3 hours; suppose you have to leave the ferry, to make sure, about 5 am. To be on the safe side you should aboard about 3? That surely would hurt
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 3:19 am

Sylvia Johnson wrote:
How long does it take to get from Calais to Maastricht - Lenny speed ? Just wondering if we need to set out Thursday evening instead of Friday morning ! scratch scratch

I'm wondering about thursday night at Sangatte?
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10   Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Proposed pre-reconnoitre route for LR`10
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next