Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ferry crossing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
landyman500

landyman500

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-02-27

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 12:56 am

Hi all. The ferry crossing are we all crossing together or do we need find our own way. I spoke with tom earlier in the year and was told to hold off booking a ferry. It's getting closer and the prices are rising.
Please could you fill in info on what is the best way forward. Do we book our selves or wait for info and book as part of a group.

Thanks mark
Back to top Go down
http://Bristolstagstour.club.officelive.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 5:01 am

They may be rising at the mo as we head towards July and August, but they start falling off again in September.

I have to throw this open to others as I tend to book with only a week to go before the off. Same every year, around the £60 mark for a sensibly timed crossing and return. If however you want a real cheapie, you can book now for one in the middle of the night like Kieran & James do.

My suggestion ...

First off you have to decide if you want to arrive in Valkenburg (the one in Limburg BTW as there is two Valkenburgs in Holland) on the Friday just before the start, or a day before to unwind. Everyone has a last-minute panic as they load up and head south to their ferry at Hull/Dover, so arriving a day in advance is preferable IF your circumstance allows.

Exactly the same is true of the Monday post-event. If you can stay over Monday 20th Sept and head back on Tues 21st that is better and altogether safer as you'll be tired after the event, plus of course you're likely to have had a celebratory drink or three at the prize-giving dinner in Calais Sunday evening.

If your budget allows it's also beneficial to book a hotel in Calais for the Sunday and Monday nights, that way you you'll sleep like a log Sunday night and can have a long lie in! Monday afternoon is allocated for bagging those bargains at the French hypermarkets. Cheese, beer and wine tend to be the favourites. At £1 upwards for a bottle of wine (and nowadays you can bring back loads), you'll cover the cost of Christmas at a stroke!

Date sorted, then it's time to decide which ferry to use. Bearing in mind the start is near Maastrict, Holland and the finish is in Calais, this too can have a bearing on whether to head out on one rote and return on another. Again, I can't answer this for the teams, you have to decide what's best for you.

So, who is getting which ferry and when? Time to start formulating a 'cunning plan'.
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 7:08 am

WE have booked Newcastle to Ijmuiden, with DFDS also coming back from Ijmuiden to Newcastle, taking into account diesel and extra camping in England we will be making a saving. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 10:33 am

Can't see too many joining you on that route, but I've said that sort of thing before and been surprised. As you say, fuel nowadays plays a big part as to which route is best from your particular corner of the UK.
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 11:50 pm

We booked Chevy onto Norfolk lines last week for today even telling them all its dimensions and have a return trip for less than £30.00. Not sure how that works as they wanted £60.00 to get us to Holland with Lenny who is slightly smaller. lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 7:24 pm

Don't look a gift horse ... cheers
Back to top Go down
Rickyd

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-01-11

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 9:09 am

i Get so sea sick. SO we are booking Dover to Calais return. Sailing over on the Friday then driving to Holland and then returning on the monday.
Back to top Go down
http://www.littlezukeinabigworld.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 9:42 am

You and me both mate! Get sick looking at a mill pond ... with feet on solid ground from the bank!!

I would assume Sylvia you got your ferry for £30 with Norfolk Lines as P&O are currently running a £30 return passage promotion, so they had no choice but to follow suit. Handy for us ain't it? cheers
Back to top Go down
Rickyd

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Has anyone booked a ferry for the friday
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 5:08 pm

Just so you know ...

Not entirely sure yet, but the finish of LR`10 may be at Dunkirk instead of Calais. Wanted to be 100% certain before announcing this change, but equally teams need to be aware of the possibility. This is due to the improvements taking place this year, the different way the Road Book is compiled, the new places we will be visiting, the new & novel tasks undertaken and the folk we’ll meet along the way. The fact that Norfolkline have become sponsors of Landy Rally only goes to confirm that Dunkirk is the right move.

That said, it's only a 30 minute drive from Calais to Dunkirk, or visa versa, so it's largely irrelevant which coastal town hosts the finish.

However, this major change depends entirely on finding the correct location within the Dunkirk area for the prize-giving dinner, hence I can't announce it officially until confirmation come s my way. As they say ... watch this space!
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:27 am

Vote for finnish Ijmuiden cheers lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Surprised you didn't suggest Aberdeen!
Back to top Go down
landyman500

landyman500

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 am

hi all,

we have booked our crossing friday the 10th a 230pm dover - calais landing 5pm ish then drive to start point, and our return will be monday 20th 230pm landing dover 5pm ish.

Is there anyone else traveling on the same P & O crossing that wants to meet up and travel together.

Please feel free to contact me by text, call, or email

landyman500 at yahoo.com

Mark

Back to top Go down
Rickyd

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 3:13 pm

landyman, love your web site, but i think you have the start point wrong. I thought we was starting in holland
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Quite! The start is near Maastricht, Holland on the 11th Sept. If your ferry gets in at 5pm ish on the 10th, then I hate to tell you but you've got a 195 mile drive ahead of you to reach the campsite . Admittedly all but 20 miles will be on motorway (no toll charges either) but it will still take you three hours.

Did you realise this?
Back to top Go down
Rickyd

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 2:15 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Quite! The start is near Maastricht, Holland on the 11th Sept. If your ferry gets in at 5pm ish on the 10th, then I hate to tell you but you've got a 195 mile drive ahead of you to reach the campsite . Admittedly all but 20 miles will be on motorway (no toll charges either) but it will still take you three hours.

Did you realise this?

I did, thats why im booking a 2pm ferry. Tahts only cos it takes 4 hours to get to dover
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 5:34 pm

As long as you know, had me concerned for a mintute. till not too late to load the SJ in the back of the Navara you know! Wink
Back to top Go down
Rickyd

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 2:14 pm

Dont tempt me Tom, I went for a drive up the motorway today. I hit 70 in the SJ and man it stunk of burning, but where is the challenge doing it in an 08 navara
ferry crossing 14210001
Back to top Go down
landyman500

landyman500

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi all,

Yes, we are aware of the start point, my last posting says that we are leaving Dover on the 230 sailing landing in France at 5pm ish.

I'm hoping that will give us enough time to get there with time for supper and a quick chat to all you other landy ralliers.

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Tight, but you'll do it. Never seem to turn in too early the night before the off, can't think why? Rolling Eyes

Ricky - seeing as though you have a crewcab, guess you can't put the Zuke in the back after all ... not unless you stand it upright that is. I'm sure I've a couple of bungies I could lend you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ferry crossing Empty
PostSubject: Re: ferry crossing   ferry crossing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ferry crossing
Page 1 of 1