Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!

Go down 
+8
er1c
Tuggy
cadarn
Crazy~Johno
loncbt
roamingman
Rickyd
Tom Mc
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Empty
PostSubject: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 8:20 am

Reluctantly I am in the process of sending the following Press Release to the magazines ... no choice! No

It has been announced that Landy Rally 2011 will be the last ever edition of the European 4x4 charity drive – the annual 3,000 mile non-speed on/off-road drive through the spectacular Alps and Pyrenees mountain ranges.

“It’s a real shame” said Event Director Tom McGuigan, “as the itinerary, the treasure hunt-type tasks and the actual routes just get better year upon year, plus it is getting more international (three Dutch teams this year), but financially it is impossible to keep running at a loss; that’s life I suppose. Yes I could increase the cost of entry, but as the event was always intended to be a low-cost, fund-raising adventure, I really don’t want to go down that road … or should I say ‘track’? A value-for-money holiday for 4x4 enthusiasts, whilst raising a few pennies for good causes, who could ask for more?”

Encompassing 11 countries in 9 days, the inaugural event in 2007 attracted 27 teams, 2008 increased to 30, but last year due to the recession it plummeted to only 17 crews. This year will again be around 15-20 vehicles, hence the decision to make 2011 the final event.

Tom continued - “What’s even more frustrating is that teams entering Landy Rally have raised over £100,000 for good causes over the past four years, and that is without the more usual ‘minimum charity donation’ specified for events of this type – not that there is anything around like Landy Rally, it’s unique! The way I see it, some folk are great fund-raisers, whilst for others passing around a charity bucket is not for them. As each team will raise funds for their own nominated local or national charity, this should be fun rather than a compulsory chore, hence we don’t impose minimum limits. Every penny raised is therefore collected with the very best intent, plus has the added bonus of being handed direct to the various charities without the need for a middle party – in other words it goes directly to the source. Unfortunately this novel approach will also cease next year; again … that’s life”.

Traditionally held the second week in September, basically when Europe empties of traffic after the peak August holiday season so the roads and campsites are all but empty for us to savour, the final event will be 10-18 September 2011. Open to all marques and models from the standard family runabout to modded hybrids, phone Tom on 02476 731971 ~ 07958 216266 or log on to www.landyrally.com for details.

END

Sorry folks, but all good things have to come to an end. Short of winning the lottery between now and next September, I see no way around the situation. Ironic really, as personally I had more fun last year with only 17 teams than when we had 30 teams. Although I didn't think it possible, I suppose with fewer teams the event became even closer knit with even more camaraderie. I have a feeling this year will be even better, you see.

How many weeks away? affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Rickyd

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 10:57 am

At least ill have one year, maybe 2 to experance it, and i want to thank you for letting me experance this adventure. Weather ill be saying this after september.......we'll have to wait and see lol!

www.littlezukeinabigworld.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://www.littlezukeinabigworld.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 12:07 pm

You'll love it - although if you enter again in 2011 you may well want to take the Navara. Being 6' 3", once in an SJ will be a laugh, two is just asking for a course at an osteopath!
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Well, Shocked will be pleased we will have two events to experance the rally with like mined people, only wished we had seen it in the beginng lol! if their is anything we can do to see it continue on a few more years cheers
Lets hope more people sign up before September, or at least try relly hard to get all who have taken part in the last 3 years, to sign up for the last one and make it go out with a BANG cheers lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
Rickyd

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 12:53 pm

The navara would wizz it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 2:20 pm

this changes things,
pinky will roll out into europe once more then in this case cheers

very sad news Shocked Shocked Shocked

there will be plenty more peterbog shows

many happy memories have been had drunken

Sad
Back to top Go down
loncbt

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Very Very sad news Tom

We've made some really good friends from 2008 (and got rid if 1 bad one Twisted Evil )

will be sad to see its demise. If we can afford it we will be there for your swansong m8

All the best

Ian, Keri, Rhys and Livvy Lou
Back to top Go down
http://www.swporc.co.uk
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 1:06 pm

a real shame it has to come to an end, will give it a good shot to get the Frontera round! some absolutely fantastic memories.... TEAM MONSTAR

WHATS THAT COMING OVER THE HILL!!!!

I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! DSCF1572

I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! 30643_1460532586248_1021411346_1333256_3822302_n

there are so many more photos, thousands in the Johnson library alone everyone with its own story...
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars
cadarn

cadarn

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 3:57 pm

I can't beleve what I've just read.........
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

However I have a tiny bit of hope Tom can't do without this kind of events.
Hopefully we see a nice trip as runner up.

It isn't over till the fat lady sings
Back to top Go down
http://www.dezeilmaker.nl

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 4:11 pm

landy rally may finish but tom surely will run something simular Twisted Evil

don't encorage fat ladies to sing pale
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. Never say never I suppose, but right now I can't see any other option. Best announce it now rather than spring it on everybody at the eleventh hour. Let's just enjoy the remaining events.
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 11:49 am

ey up tom,,sorry to hear that,,,but im sure you will come up with something,,,, different format maybe,,,,but what else you going to do,,,,,retire,,, Shocked No No No Sleep Sleep confused No
Back to top Go down
er1c

er1c

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-07-18

PostSubject: Surely Not   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 8:13 am

It was sad reading that but I can understand from the pocket perspective.

That said the fact you have said 2011 will be the last will mean "EVERYONE" will want to do it, so it will be bigger than ever, easier financially and you will reconsider and do 2012...

You may cross my palm with Silver any time you like Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Hmmmm, if only life was that easy. At the start of this year I was umming and arring about running Landy Rally this September, and loads of folk said to me about the fact their club were going to enter three teams, etc. Transpires there are no block bookings at all this year, all new entries or individual teams that have entered before. All talk and nowt do? Maybe. Circumstances change I realise, but three teams as opposed to zero is a bit of a let down.

As you say, maybe next year will prove manic, who knows? All I am sure about is we've a rally coming up in only two weeks time, time to get excited again about what I'm sure will be a cracker!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:02 am

Bad news Tom - it must have been a BIG decision.

I for one commend you for your determination to put on bloody good events over recent years, often at significant personal financial risk.

Maybe LandyRally dies... Im sure you'll think of something else equally 'out there'! How about a charity drive From the UK to Australia for a Christmas Barbi on Bondi Beach!?!?!?!?!?

Jon
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
Rickyd

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 9:37 am

ohh that sounds amazing
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 12:08 pm

How would you get round Afghanistan? There seems to be big mountains.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Rickyd

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 12:19 pm

up and over we have 4x4s lol!
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Keith Johnson wrote:
How would you get round Afghanistan? There seems to be big mountains.

hi Keith, hope you & the family are well.

I said it rather tounge in cheek without giving it any thought! But in the best Aussie tradition, "no worries, it'll be right!".

J
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi Jon,

Lovely to hear from you again ! Australia is obviously suiting you ! I must go one day it just seems a long way to fly when I don't like flying ! Pleased to hear you are enjoying it and love the photo of Ayers Rock (Uluru). Are you planing on heading back to England ever ?

Take care and have fun
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi Sylvia,
Good to hear from you. Australia is excellent and we have really settled in. Ellie & I love it and Honey (our Golden Retriever) really likes it too, although she's not that keen on getting shaved in summer!

As for going back to the UK, I never say never cos its a long time! Looking closer to the future though, I am planning to take the 110 on a BIG trip next July with a few members of the Adelaide Land Rover Club, so all things being equal have no intensions of heading 'up north' to Blighty before then.

The trip will take approximately 5 weeks and go something like this:
1. Sydney - Adelaide (Tarmac - 2 days)

2. Adelaide - Coober Pedy (Tarmac - 1 day)

3. Coober Pedy to Wiluna along the Anne Beadle Highway (dirt road)
http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/WDeserts/Anne_Beadell_Highway.aspx

4. Wiluna to Halls Creek along the famous Canning Stock Route (dirt track)
http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/WDeserts/Canning_Stock_Route.aspx

5. Halls Creek to Alice Springs (via Wolfe Creek) down the Tanami track.
http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/RedCtr/The_Tanami_Track.aspx

6. Alice Springs to Sydney (Tarmac - 3 days)

All up about 13,000 kms!!!!

Its a good job Diesel is about half the price of UK!

Jon

PS. Sorry Tom, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread - Feel free to move this wherever you see fit!!
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Tom recived my Land Rover World mag this morning it says we do 10 countries in 10 days Shocked Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 11:02 am

No problemo Jon, things like that tend to happen around here. Might well move it if I knew how! I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_biggrin Yep, it was a big decision, but "all good things come to an end" an' all that ...

Onward and upward eh?
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4

wideformat4x4

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-12-04

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 2:54 pm

VentureOverland wrote:
Bad news Tom - it must have been a BIG decision.

I for one commend you for your determination to put on bloody good events over recent years, often at significant personal financial risk.

Maybe LandyRally dies... Im sure you'll think of something else equally 'out there'! How about a charity drive From the UK to Australia for a Christmas Barbi on Bondi Beach!?!?!?!?!?

Jon

That's not as mad as it sounds, on a trip to the Le Mans classic this year I met a group of 11 MG owners that had shipped their cars from Oz to somewhere in Asia and drove the silk road to Europe did 2 laps of the circuit then drove to Abingdon to meet the owners club then crated up the cars and flew home.

Mental or what the newest of the cars was a 1977 Midget
Back to top Go down
http://www.wideformat4x4.webs.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 3:20 pm

Now that was a challenge. Reckon they had roof tents? Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!   I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I have come to a BIG decision - last ever Landy Rally!
Page 1 of 1