Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fuel cans

Go down 
+2
Rickyd
roamingman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Fuel cans Empty
PostSubject: Fuel cans   Fuel cans Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 4:31 am

Tom
Been cheking up on the laws about carying extra fuel in Europe, some countries allow 20l some 10l some 5l.
Not allowed to cary on some feriers,
So question is why must we have a spare can of fuel to get pionts.

Also given the availabillity of fuel stations in europe, what is the point at all.
Are we giong to be off road for more than 4oom ?
Just means caring more wieght, and taking up room, which could be used for more imortant equipment.

Just my veiw cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
Rickyd

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Fuel cans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel cans   Fuel cans Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 5:17 am

roamingman wrote:

Also given the availabillity of fuel stations in europe, what is the point at all.
Are we giong to be off road for more than 4oom ?

Just my veiw cheers lol!

I got no chance then as my little SJ only does about 200 miles to a tank. So i for one will need cans.

Im just a bit worried about the altitude presure. Last time i was in switzerland i was in a motorhome, Going up a mountin pass, as soon as i hate 3000 feet all our pot noodles and bags of crisps exploded. Hope feul cans dont do that at 9000 feet
Back to top Go down
http://www.littlezukeinabigworld.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Fuel cans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel cans   Fuel cans Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 5:18 am

Good point, one that's been asked before. Highly unlikely I know, but if a vehicle's fuel tank were to spring a leak in the middle of nowhere, the Pyrenees can get pretty remote at times, the onus shouldn't be on somebody else to get that team out of trouble ... not to mention that fact they may be one their own and lost! Again highly unlikely granted, but it's just a precaution. In fact it's exactly the same reason we carry carry water, spare brake fluid, rad weld and a spare tyre too; just in case!

Put it this way, if I was travelling around the Alps and the Pyrenees on my own, I would carry spare fuel, so this just carries on to Landy Rally. Believe me, trying to find a fuel station at times isn't always that easy. If you're running late due to breakdown or whatever, as soon as darkess descends fuel stations can be very few and far between. It's bad enough driving country roads in the UK trying to find a station open, try it in Spain!!

The other relevant point is your vehicle's age. Bearing in mind that some teams are running 20 year old vehicles, a split tank could just be down to age, let alone something impacting it. We don't all run modern 4x4's!

Last but not least, several times on Landy Rally we've come across a local or a tourist in trouble due to a fuel leak or just run out. Us being the good citizens we are have got many a fair maiden out of trouble (some have got fair maidens ... Twisted Evil ) so if for no other reason, us off-roaders can be seen as the 'good guys' for once!

Next question please. cheers

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Fuel cans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel cans   Fuel cans Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 5:25 am

Rickyd wrote:

I got no chance then as my little SJ only does about 200 miles to a tank. So i for one will need cans.

Im just a bit worried about the altitude presure. Last time i was in switzerland i was in a motorhome, Going up a mountin pass, as soon as i hate 3000 feet all our pot noodles and bags of crisps exploded. Hope feul cans dont do that at 9000 feet
Ha, never had a bag of crisps explode yet, not unintentionally anyhow. Personally I never fill jerricans up to the top. 20 litres will leave a slight gap anyway, but me I put in about 19 litres. Don't forget nowadays a brand new 10 litre jerrican will cost £14.99 - not a bad item to leave on board throughout the year I'd say, although maybe not for you Ricky as it would be lifted from your ragtop.
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Fuel cans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel cans   Fuel cans Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:38 am

Take all your comments, and now see why, cheers

Just needed answers, cheers

Will now see about room, is 5l enough or would you advise more?

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Fuel cans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel cans   Fuel cans Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:54 am

"We need answers".

I AM NOT A NUMBER, I'M A FREE MAN!!!

- err, yes I'm sure 5l will suffice. As long as you're not completely dry, that's the main thing. Gather you'll now be keeping an eye open for damsel's in distress?

Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Fuel cans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel cans   Fuel cans Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 11:46 am

I have a story to tell !

Go back three years to the very first Landy Rally ! Day one Team Monstar joins the start line with a full tank of fuel. Wondering why we needed to carry fuel !
Later that day we were travelling through Belgium round about Saturday tea time and needed to fill up. Finding a self service garage was not a problem. Finding one with a card machine that was working was a bit of a nightmare. The credit card system was down in Belgium. Fortunately we had the cans on board and were able to carry on, but by the time we got to Luxembourg and a working garage we were running on diesel fumes ! affraid affraid

We weren't even in the mountains but our rally was almost over before it began.

Likewise another team we were travelling with last year ran out of petrol fumes and had an empty jerry can ! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

We do at times go a long way between finding fuel stations (unless Tom has plotted a route with garages every 100 miles or less )

Based on our experience its definitely a good idea to carry a jerry can of fuel.

Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Fuel cans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel cans   Fuel cans Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 12:41 pm

It's another advantage us oil burners have over the petrol heads. There are a lot less restrictions for carrying diesel than petrol.

If you're carrying fuel in a metal can, you're probably ok with either - I'd imagine it's much preferable to carry 19 litres of petrol in a metal box than 5 litres in a brittle, bulging, plastic bubble with a badly fitting lid.

Previous discussions on carrying fuel: https://landyrally.forumotion.com/general-chit-chat-f10/fuel-can-transport-was-in-ferries-thread-t156.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Fuel cans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel cans   Fuel cans Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Ricky, last year i did open a 20 litre jerry can at Val d'saire and get decorated in fuel and smelt kinda of groovy for a while affraid affraid confused confused
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Fuel cans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel cans   Fuel cans Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 4:25 pm

... or how about finally finding an unmanned fuel station that only takes plastic (loads on the Continent), only to find out your particular brand of 'flexible friend' is not accepted or faulty - one scratch on the read out is enough to invalidate it - or the pump itself has a glich. Grrrrrr!!!!! Mad

I rest my case. Although not always apparent, there is method in our madness!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel cans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel cans   Fuel cans Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel cans
Page 1 of 1