Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spoke too soon

Go down 
+2
roamingman
Keith Johnson
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 2:05 am

After saying on another thread that while I still had one or two little jobs to do Lenny was about ready, now that the start date gets closer the list gets bigger. We went to an offroad site a few weeks back and thought that if nothing broke that was a good test and if it did I would have time to fix it anyway. Nothing broke. Then last weekend we went to Manby, only 150 miles but a good chance to detect any strange noises etc. No strange noises. Then last night we went to the local pub meet, about 15 miles in total and - nearside headlight doesn't work, spotlights turn on but then won't turn off without turning all the lights off, the handbrake sticks on and the exhaust has come off from the manifold. Rolling Eyes

Still nothing too serious and there is still one weekend left.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 5:56 am

I feel sure you will make it on time cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
cadarn

cadarn

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Ok Ok, I hear it, will take some more spares and tools with me as I intended lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dezeilmaker.nl
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:10 am

Opps! The start line is approaching rapidly. Here we go again. Spoke too soon Kopfschuettel
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 12:09 pm

Deja Vu from the days before the start of this years MAC Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 2:21 pm

It's the Landy curse!!!
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 12:16 am

[quote]Deja Vu{/quote]

??? never seen that before Laughing Laughing

No panic, handbrake fixed, exhaust refitted - it was a remnant from the Mac since it hasn't been the same after I clouted it on the next to last Welsh section Twisted Evil

Lights all work now so just about ready. The only jobs I am planning to do are take off and grease the front prop and see if I can get the front passenger door to stop catching on the new front wing. Why a new front wing you may ask?? It was needed after Tom navigated for me round the Manby off-road course last year and we ended up in some crater about ten miles away cheers .

TIP FOR SKODA-JON Let Tom drive and you navigate.....on the other hand I have also been in the car when Tom has been driving ..... :face: Jon, can you drive AND navigate??
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 5:23 am

Sssssshhhhhhh, you'll get me a bad name. Spoke too soon Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:45 am

It gets better .. Yesterday I had to drive to Nuneaton to collect a new transfer box for Kieran - his had been making a noise for some time but when he looked closer there seemed to be metal filings inside and a lot of play in the drive shafts but little oil. At short notice a guy from a 4x4 club there sorted him out with a replacement box. Good news.

We went to collect it in Lenny, a last chance to hear any funny noises etc. Not really expecting any as everything checked and greased / topped up etc. After pulling off the motorway on the return trip we heard a very loud metallic shrieking from the gearbox area. The noise not affectde by whether the engine is on or off, the clutch being pressed or which gear we were in. It only stopped below about 20mph and above 50-ish. It didn't happen all the time but was pretty constant for the remaining 10 miles. At one point we stopped and put the transfer box into neutral and went through the gears but no noise. It seems to be the transfer box gremlin. No obvious play in the drive shafts or loss of oil but I can't ignore it with 3000 miles on the menu next week.

It seems that I will have another trip to Nuneaton tomorrow to get another transfer box for Lenny. Good job there is still plenty of time left before Friday Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 6:11 am

Nightmare! Spoke too soon Affraid
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 11:18 am

Took bits off and tried different things and have decided that the bearing to the output to the front prop is making the noise. I guess if that has gone then other things won't be far behind so the plan to change the transfer box is the one to go with. Kieran has got his new one in place during the day so hopefully by tomorrow night Lenny will ge back on track. The only concern is the 70 mile drive tomorrow to get to the new box. So fingers crossed and don't forget the RAC card.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Sorry, would run it over to you but I have so much still to do ... no change there then!

Saying that, no matter where it is, if it gives up en route phone me - I have a straight bar ready and waiting.
Back to top Go down

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:44 pm

and just as reliable transfer box to pull it with Rolling Eyes Laughing
pinky's new box is fitted its dry and tight, lennies new box is fitted ... going to be a long few days,
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Strewth, it definitely wouldn't be Landy Rally without at least one Johnson family vehicle digging its heels in in the week leading up to departure. Lenny, Pinky, and Marc hasn't even entered his Frontera yet!

What's that they say? "The worst is yet to come!" Spoke too soon Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 2:47 pm

I have just pulled the engine out of the frontera today and yesterday Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad but hopefully should be looking a little more likely that ill be at the start line next year cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars
Sponsored content

Spoke too soon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spoke too soon   Spoke too soon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spoke too soon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Landy Rally :: Your Wheels-
Jump to: