Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fuel prices

Go down 
+4
er1c
andybloke
cadarn
Tom Mc
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 1:15 pm

Looking at the lower table within this site - www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-Advice/Petrol-Prices.aspx - I see that Luxembourg is a darn good place to fill up as we head south – the second cheapest en route (0.99 euros diesel / 1.14 euros petrol) and Spain not so bad either (1.1 euros diesel / 1.17 euros petrol)

However, Andorra is still best at 0.83 euros diesel / 0.97 euros petrol

Our equivilent prices in the UK? 1.45 euros diesel / 1.51 euros petrol I think I’ve got that right … haven’t I?

Anybody want to produce and post on here a Fuel Price Chart of the countries we visit as we travel clockwise from Valkenburg to Calais?

Haven't got time myself, still tons to do ... like have breakfast! Sad but true. Fuel prices Kopfschuettel
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 2:33 pm

Holland around 1,21, Belgium around 1,12 for Diesel
Back to top Go down
http://www.dezeilmaker.nl
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 2:12 am

Average August prices (In Euro's)

PetrolDiesel
Holland1.551.21
Belguim1.381.14
Luxembourg1.150.97
France1.351.12
Germany1.391.20
Switzerland1.161.20
Austria1.080.97
Italy1.401.25
Spain1.171.10
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:48 am

That's only 9 countries, thought we were driving through 11? Fuel prices Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
er1c

er1c

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-07-18

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:17 am

Crap I forgot Austria when I called the bank...
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:21 am

What did you call the bank, something nasty? Fuel prices Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
Rickyd

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 am

Talking of fuel. Whats the best jerry cans to take. Plastic or metal
Back to top Go down
http://www.littlezukeinabigworld.co.uk
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 11:56 am

The cheapest we found fuel in Austria was 1.22 for petrol and most places were closer to 1.30 that was mid June.

Also dont forget Switzerland and Lichtenstein use Swiss Francs.
Back to top Go down
Rickyd

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 11:57 am

Just wack it all on the credit card and worry about it when you get home. Thats what we are doing
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 12:38 pm

We have plastic jerry can lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 2:14 pm

This year I'm not bothering with my 20L jerrican, well, not running a thirsty V8 now, so simply taking a couple of plasic jerricans. For the space you have Ricky I'd suggest a baby's bottle! Failing that, a £3.50 plastic can will more than suffice, anything more bulky would be bigger than the engine itself. Go as light as possible mate.
Back to top Go down
er1c

er1c

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: JERRY    Fuel prices Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 1:17 am

JERRY JERRY JERRY !!! (had to do it)

We have a couple of big fat 20L jerry cans but I have to be honest they are more hassle than they are worth. One is old and one is brand new and both take an eternity to fill due to the LOUSY way they let air into the can. I reckon it takes 15 mins at least holding 20L of fuel to empty the can which is a real pig to do.

I would use it for an emergency but never to extend my range.

I see the view on carrying fuel is changing from previous posts.

If you get stuck you can have GRAY Diesel for only £4.20 per litre (donated to the charity) Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 5:09 am

I took two 20L jerry's in 2007 ... to save money. Filled them in Calais, did 2,700 miles, ended back in Calais with exactly the same fuel. All that additional weight - stupid. Same as carting around an extra passenger - really stupid. You're running a diesel, then 5L is sufficient.

For Ricky, if he needs 5L in the tank to get out of the poo, then he's still got another 5L back up as obviously petrol engines burn it up quicker.

Apart from the fuel price/saving money issue, there are only really a couple of times where having spare fuel on board is an issue, but if that ocassion arises you'll be glad of the security that goes with having spare fuel on board.
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 8:27 am

It probably depends on the range of a tank of fuel. With Kieran's landrover in 2007 we struggled to make it to the first nights stop because every fuel station we found in Belgium was an Auto one and the card system was down so unable to get fuel. We had used the Jerry cans and were running on fumes by the time we got to Luxembourg. Lenny on the other hand can do an extra 100 miles before needing refueling. Even finding Tom with his spare fuel on board wouldn't have helped as his Rangie drank petrol !
Back to top Go down
er1c

er1c

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Dont forget   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:16 am

Dont forget the mans tendancy to drive every mile possible before filling up... Smile
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 11:39 am

Tom Mc wrote:
That's only 9 countries, thought we were driving through 11? Fuel prices Icon_scratch

Didn't have up to date prices to hand for the others.
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 11:46 am

er1c wrote:
We have a couple of big fat 20L jerry cans but I have to be honest they are more hassle than they are worth. One is old and one is brand new and both take an eternity to fill due to the LOUSY way they let air into the can. I reckon it takes 15 mins at least holding 20L of fuel to empty the can which is a real pig to do.

Get a better nozzle.
I found a great plastic one with a big (1/4 inch dia) flexible tube for letting air back into the can, but someone ran over it.
My present jerry can spout was greatly improved by drilling a proper sized hole in it where the pin-prick air holes were, and brazing in a short length of copper brake line - fills much quicker now, as the tube gets air well into the baffle in the jerrycan away from the opening.
Back to top Go down
Rod

Rod

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 2:13 pm

20 litre jerricans? affraid Its illegal to use these to carry fuel in a vehicle in the UK!

Legal maximum is 10 litre metal can or 5 litre plastic (not that this stops Halfords selling 10 litre plastic cans!)

See the Fire Service Advice on Fuel Storage

Anybody know the rules for the countries we'll be visiting? confused
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 3:04 pm

Know the basic rules for driving laws for the countries en route - so will you soon as they form part of you rally pack at Registration/Scrutineering - but no idea about amout of fuel that can be carried.

I suppose the four 20L jerricans the team of two fireman from Kent tried to 'spirit' away from Andorra during Landy Rally 2007 was a bit OTT, but if anyone knew what they were doing, fire fighters surely should. When discovered the customs officials sent them packing, but they still managed to somehow reach Spain by driving the most unorthodox route possible up over the mountains with their booty intact ... completely illegal of course. Crazy people!
Back to top Go down
er1c

er1c

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Know the basic rules for driving laws for the countries en route - so will you soon as they form part of you rally pack at Registration/Scrutineering - but no idea about amout of fuel that can be carried.

Stop trying to worry us... the next thing you will be telling us is that they dont drive on the left!
Back to top Go down
Rickyd

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Are you saying we have to take a test Shocked
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Can tell you that in 12 days
Back to top Go down
http://www.dezeilmaker.nl
Sponsored content

Fuel prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel prices   Fuel prices Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel prices
Page 1 of 1