Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
roamingman

roamingman

Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2010-02-03

[HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Empty
PostSubject: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 am

Sad if yer inclined to help people.....

Took this from another forum, it was sent to a member as a round robin,

While driving on a rural end of the roadway on Thursday morning, I saw an infant car seat on the side of the road with a blanket draped over it. For whatever reason, I did not stop, even though I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head. But when I got to my destination, I called the Police and they were going to check it out. But, this is what the Police advised even before they went out there to check....

"There are several things to be aware of ... gangs and thieves are now plotting different ways to get a person (mostly women)to stop their vehicle and get out of the car.

"There is a gang initiation reported by the local Police where gangs are placing a car seat by the road...with a fake baby in
it...waiting for a woman, of course, to stop and check on the abandoned baby.

"Note that the location of this car seat is usually beside a wooded or grassy (field) area and the person -- woman -- will be dragged into the woods, beaten and raped, and usually left for dead. If it's a man, they're usually beaten and robbed and maybe left for dead, too.

DO NOT STOP FOR ANY REASON!!!

DIAL 9-9-9
AND REPORT WHAT YOU SAW, BUT DON'T EVEN SLOW DOWN.

"IF YOU ARE DRIVING AT NIGHT AND EGGS ARE THROWN AT YOUR WINDSCREEN, DO NOT STOP TO CHECK THE CAR, DO NOT OPERATE THE WIPER AND DO NOT SPRAY ANY WATER BECAUSE EGGS MIXED
WITH WATER BECOME MILKY AND BLOCK YOUR VISION UP TO 92.5%, AND YOU ARE THEN FORCED TO STOP BESIDE THE ROAD AND BECOME A VICTIM OF THESE CRIMINALS.

THIS IS A NEW TECHNIQUE USED BY GANGS, SO PLEASE INFORM YOUR FRIENDS AND RELATIVES.

THESE ARE DESPERATE TIMES AND THESE ARE UNSAVOURY INDIVIDUALS WHO WILL TAKE DESPERATE MEASURES TO GET WHAT THEY WANT."
Back to top Go down
http://www.teddybearspicnic.webs.com
cadarn

cadarn

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 4:22 pm

You believe it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dezeilmaker.nl
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 6:29 pm

Don't doubt your sincerity Yoda, but is this another of those internet myths that has been doing the rounds for ages? May be true, may not, but me being a cynic I too think it's the latter.

My theory is that so many 'warnings' and 'funnies' do the circuit solely that unscrupulous characters can gather together thousands of email addresses (the types of block email addresses that build up on these round-robin posts) can be sold off to email advertisers and scammers.

Think I'll post off my theory to 10 friends to canvas their opinion!
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:11 am

Tom Mc wrote:

Think I'll post off my theory to 10 friends to canvas their opinion!

Don't bother !

We all get enough junk mail as it is !
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 10:12 am

Well it did come from a trusted friend, well I will not be emailing anybody with this, but on the off chance it is true thought I would post on here, thier is a lot of car jacking coing on, in diferant ways.
Just thought I would give people on here something to think about.

If it is crap nouthing to worry about is thier. Smile
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Chain emails are worse than spam, because people actually waste time reading it because it comes from somebody they know, and then waste other peoples time by forwarding it on.

Anything that claims to be breaking news, and should be forwarded to your friends is almost certainly a hoax, unless it directly relates to the friends (babies being born, surprise parties being arranged, etc).

Please do not forward scam warnings, virus warnings, anything else that suggests you should forward it to all your friends. If it's really important, it'll be on the news.

You can check that these mails are hoaxes very quickly with google...
Click here for an example

(By the way, there are no phone numbers you can dial that will cost you £25/minute, so that email about PDS you will receive in December is also a hoax)
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
roamingman

roamingman

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 4:07 pm

It may be a HOAX, you obviously read to post a comment.

So you wasted your time reading it and then wasted your time to post

one time it may not be a HOAX only hope you or any friends, do not get hurt.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Seems you can't do right for doing wrong these days. Like I say Yoda, the warning was sincere but you got taken in like all of us have at some point.

Funny enough, Wayne thinks he’s quite savvy when it comes to these sort of things, but only recently he too got caught out with a warning-type scam. Only realised it when I emailed him back to say – "I’m surprised your so gullible". It was only when he stepped back did he realise he had been duped ... kicking himself! Again, like Yoda, he though he was doing the right thing.

Really annoying as these scam artists play on our ‘good nature’, no wonder we are turning more cynical by the second.

If it helps, whenever unsure I now use a site called Snopes.com - www.snopes.com/snopes.asp - Type in Baby Seat into the search engine and see what come up. This goes for supposed lottery wins, bank password changes or account suspensions, inheritances from long lost trial cheif relatives in some obscure African dictatorship ...

BTW Andybloke, that Google thingy where the cursor strolls across the page is really neat.
Back to top Go down
roamingman

roamingman

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 2:04 am

For fun

Tom i see your piont but I was not taken in as you say, did not ask anybody on here to send any emails under thret of death.
I think andybloke must have recived a email from someone on the subject

Just fun lol! lol! :lol! lol!

ps maybe stop posting in this section
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
BTW Andybloke, that Google thingy where the cursor strolls across the page is really neat.

Clever that, isn't it!

I think I've finally got the local community policing team into the habit of checking snopes.com before emailing around such "social viruses" - they used to regularly email all manner of things claiming to be "confirmed by the police" and "recently reported to police" ...

Please don't stop posting funnies, but forwarding scare messages doesn't do anyone any good. I read your comment about maybe one time it wouldn't be a hoax, but how would anyone tell? It's the modern cry of "Wolf!"
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
roamingman

roamingman

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Agree sorry if I upset anyone,

Will continue to post fun and drivele lol!
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 2:24 pm

You will never guess what landed in my work in box this morning !

This very email ! affraid affraid

It would seem you are not alone with your concerns Yoda!

Whilst this may be a hoax there are some not very nice people around who seem to enjoy doing all manner of nasties to con people !
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 3:19 pm

roamingman wrote:
Agree sorry if I upset anyone,

You haven't. As you say, move on and let's all talk some more drivel. [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_cheers [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_cheers [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....   [HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[HOAX] Sad if yer inclined to help people.....
Page 1 of 1