Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Occupations part 2

Go down 
+3
CarpeDiem
ardvark2345
theshortwayround
7 posters
AuthorMessage
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

What Occupations part 2 Empty
PostSubject: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 9:27 am

Whats the Best, most Amusing Job you ever had??

My best one, Current job

Most amusing, i was a beer taster (Yes really! drunken )

Difference between beer and wine tasters??

Beer tasters swallow, Wine tasters spit!

Would you agree mark?
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
ardvark2345

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Best job worst job   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 5:10 pm

Best job is my current one - freelance construction manager - mainly good cos the money is great and the hours are flexible and Im my own boss.

Worst job....where to start pot washer, hod carrier, call centre on phones but probably most depressing mind numbing soul destroying job was fitting together caligraphy sets.

Actually come to think of it best job really was raking almonds in Israel while on a kibbutz, up at 5am rake almonds till 12 noon then eat and sleep by the pool wake up at 8pm for food and then drink until 3am..........and vodka £1 a bottle happy days !!
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 8:56 am

Hi,

Great topic!

Yeah you should spit out wine, I do on very rare occassions, but I'm no expert, so I just drink it. tongue

Best job? Spent 10yrs in the Merchant Navy when I left school, loved travelling. But most of them actually have been good, been lucky on that front.

The worst, working in a small factory while I waited to join the Navy. pale

All the best, Mark
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:12 pm

Best job - current one speech and language therapist, because I'm always busy, never have to watch the clock and it's very rewarding when a child I'm working with makes a breakthrough. sunny

Worst job...Wallpaper sample book factory as a student!!! Very boring. Sleep

Lu :bom:

Best job..paintball marshall at 16 years old! Very Happy

Worst job...cleaning out septic tanks using a tanker! No

Tweedie :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
batfink

batfink

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm

my best thrilling job was going to sea,crab and lobster fisherman,but very anti-social work hours.What a buzz in a 15ft swell looking up at the crest of a wave wondering if its coming over the gunels or not.

most borring job was putting roller blinds together for a yatch's

but landscape gardening is'nt the best thing going,ho hum its all money.
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 11:29 pm

Hi,

"It's all money" and how we need it, us poor Landy owners! Very Happy

"very rewarding when a child I'm working with makes a breakthrough"

It looks as if you'll be very busy on this trip! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 3:25 am

Yeah, lot's of child like activity i shuold imagine during the week!! must remember to buy water pistol for the drive bys....

fav Quote - Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional!!
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 4:11 pm

Don't worry I don't do speech therapy in pubs on principle!! The principle that my speech gets more and more slurred!! drunken lol!

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 5:46 am

excellent, what about whilst around the camp fire?

Be amusing to see the speech on your 30th then!!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 5:53 am

Great topic mate.

BEST: Renewing the rubber fire-hydrant seatings in Buckingham Palace, Clarence House, St James' Palace, Kensington Palace ... and a lot more besides. Truly fascinating! Wasn’t too keen on one of the Queen Mum’s corgis tugging at the leg of my jeans though. Think about it, what you supposed to do? Try and gently prize it off before it rips it to shreds, nudge it away with the other foot, kick it (not that I would) but whatever you do, you can bet your life that somebody in authority would just turn the corner as you took some action. On a hiding to nothing really!

Also used to like spraying the stove enamel onto Holdsworthy racing bikes. May have been smelly, dirty and carcinogenic, but oh so rewarding to see the finished article.

Actually, attending the Rainforest 4x4 Challenge of Malaysia as a motoring journalist was the very best, closely followed by organising Weston Park, Euro Truck Trial, National 4x4 Show, Land Rover World Record Attempt, Landy Rally, etc., but as I don’t regard any of these events as a ‘proper job’, so obviously none of this counts!

WORST: Breaking the asbestos lagging off boilers 10ft tall x 8ft wide x 20ft long without even a mask in those days (lethal blue lagging at that) and having to literally climb inside them to scrape out all the scale and sulphurous crap. Looking back I was no better off than a child chimney sweep from Victorian times! And before you say it – no, I’m not that old!

Exposed to all those potential dangers, amazing I’m still alive really. Clearly the alcohol has had a positive, diluting effect. That’s my excuse and I’m most definitely sticking to it.
Back to top Go down
ardvark2345

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 5:54 pm

I had a great summer doing asbestos surveys in all the schools in Exeter a few years ago. It was non intrusive so completely risk free, although much fun was had by donning our protective suits and walking round taking samples. On one occasion we were met outside by concerned parents and a local radio crew asking if the school was closing due to asbestos..........Happy days!

Dean
Back to top Go down
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2007 3:31 am

Tom,
how can you say that was your worst job? I've seen you trying to crack the lagging off old boilers most Saturday nights!!!!!!!
Trouble is it sometimes takes more than 2 Malibu's before they will succumb to your charms! :cyclops:
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2007 1:27 pm

Thank for your observations Captain, I learnt it all off you. Now I know why 99 time out of 100 I'd go home alone. Buy 3 Malibus? No chance!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Occupations part 2   What Occupations part 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Occupations part 2
Page 1 of 1