Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Snow chains or no chains?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

Snow chains or no chains? Empty
PostSubject: Snow chains or no chains?   Snow chains or no chains? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 3:57 am

Hi

Sorry I've posted loads of questions recently, but..

I was reading a John Craddock's advert, which said that in some areas of Europe, which are more used to snowfalls, it is a legal requirement to carry snow chains or other traction aids. It mentions four Landy Rally countries: France, Germany, Italy and Switzerland santa .

Are people taking such things :?: . And does anybody know about the 'legal' requirements :?:.

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Snow chains or no chains?   Snow chains or no chains? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 7:42 am

Hi Lu,

As I understand it;

Tyres: in a lot of alpine/scandanavian countries there seems to be a legal requirement of 3mm pattern depth on tyres between October and May. Depending on where you are, studded tyres are also recommended for this period, although these are illegal for the rest of the year.

Snow chains; I doubt will be needed on this trip. Though I expect Tom could put us right on this one.

Cheers, Mark
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Snow chains or no chains?   Snow chains or no chains? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 5:36 pm

Snowchains will definitely not be needed in September - famous last words?

You gonna laugh at this one ...

Whilst on the recon at 3,000m in the Alps, I turned a corner in the Astra only to find two roads - one a hairpin left which was perfectly clear and the other an old road which used to go straight on. The tarmac of this original road was visible for only 10ft/3m or so before it disappeared under a gradual bank of snow.

You can picture the scene – yours truly rounding the corner thinking to himself, that would make a funny photo, the Astra up against the snow bank and a caption reading, " now you know why we drive Landy's". So, for a laugh I reversed back and drove straight into the snow bank at about 20 mph so the front wheels buried themselves. Having got my shots I then got back in to reverse myself back down the hill. I didn't move! With a wheel spinning furiously, I quickly thought Oh! Poo!!! I wasn't going anywhere. Oh the embarrassment of it all. No

Next thing was, before I time to figure out a way of extracting myself a young French couple turned up and instantly stopped to lend a hand. Having scooped out some snow and placed some rocks under both wheels (although the lack of a difflock meant only one wheel was actually spinning), we shoved and rocked the car until it popped out. Sure wish I had snowchains that day! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Snow chains or no chains?   Snow chains or no chains? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 12:11 am

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Snow chains or no chains?   Snow chains or no chains? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 8:38 am

i laughed so much, a little bit of wee came out!!

you gonna post the picture so we can laugh a little more?

surley for the little snow we might encounter our 4x4 and driving skill should be enough?!? lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Snow chains or no chains?   Snow chains or no chains? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 8:53 am

Nothing suprises me with you McGoo jocolor

Wasn't it a bit cold up there for you? I've seen you shivering at the height of a Welsh summer?! :clown:
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Snow chains or no chains?   Snow chains or no chains? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 3:53 pm

Cheers for the advice, but I was looking forward to asking for snow chains for my 30th!! My mum thinks I've gone mad, with my odd birthday present requests! lol!

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Snow chains or no chains?   Snow chains or no chains? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 3:54 pm

Nice of you to notice darrrrrling, must have been my erect nips that did the trick! No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snow chains or no chains?   Snow chains or no chains? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow chains or no chains?
Page 1 of 1