Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

hmmmm have we solved the problem?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

hmmmm have we solved the problem? Empty
PostSubject: hmmmm have we solved the problem?   hmmmm have we solved the problem? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 12:15 pm

hello,
we may have a new idea as to what the problem is on starting the landy up in the mornings, but first a storey...

once upon a time there was a land rover with a starting problem where all the kings men tried at Abingdon 4x4 show to solve and many of them now have bold patches due to scratching there heads over it, and when all the valiant suggestions failed mr kieran and mr keith thought it would be that way for ever, there noble steed got them home the millions of miles from there to here.
The landy then went into our local mighty garage for hub rebuild the two puzzled men asked mr Richard friend from garage to have a look at it whilst doing the hubs, but once more he came to no conclusion.
So brave mr Kieran and Evan braver mr Keith set off on a world wide expedition to get to Derbyshire to meet with humble associates from the mud-club.
Having to fill up in the morning they assumed that the seriously strong smell of diesel was off of mr Kieran’s hands. the two soldiers turned up at the front line (pub in the middle of no where) with the other mud-club members amazed that we had made it with out breaking down all happy the two of them Evan volunteered to lead the lead convoy around the almighty green lanes of Derbyshire well that was until mr Keith spotted a waterfall coming from under noble stead pinkys bonnet....

oh dear we made it all that way (not that far ) and a banjo bolt or what ever there called that holds in the fuel return pipes had worked loose over how ever long and finally dropped off, and we wondered why we only had half a tank of diesel left after 56 miles, we managed to put another normal bolt in the hole filing one of the edges down to create a similar effect

all the symptoms are there for this to have been happening but we wont know until paddocks opens and I can either get there or the postal strike is over and receive the stuff.

hmmmm
cheers Kieran

Last edited by on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: hmmmm have we solved the problem?   hmmmm have we solved the problem? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 1:57 pm

Sorry ... what?

Find out where the oil was appearing from yet?

kieran wrote:
... a bango bolt or what ever there called that holds in the fuel return pipes had worked loose over how ever long and finally dropped off

Scrappies for banjo bolts. Bike brakes, some car brakes, most turbo's, fuel filters, etc... You can even get them with pressure sensors in them to see when fluid stops flowing through them Smile
Scavenge some copper washers, too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org

PostSubject: Re: hmmmm have we solved the problem?   hmmmm have we solved the problem? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 2:07 pm

ahhh yes i forgot the bit about the washers Laughing i took one of those circle connectors off the ignition earth wire

thats a good point there is a 200 tdi in the scrappy at the mo i know because i accidentally ended up with the oil filler cap off it Laughing i will get some in the morning

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: hmmmm have we solved the problem?   hmmmm have we solved the problem? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 2:32 pm

kieran wrote:
ahhh yes i forgot the bit about the washers Laughing i took one of those circle connectors off the ignition earth wire

Clever Smile Is that why you keep replacing the alternator, bad earthing? Wink

Banjo bolts come in various lengths, so make sure you don't get one that's too long.
As for the copper washers, new is always best, but if you get some second hand ones, make sure they don't have dents in where they were over-tightened. Also, copper gets harder after it's deformed (such as by being clamped between a banjo coupling and something else), so clean them up in washing-up liquid, hang them on a bit of copper wire and heat until glowing dull red with a blowtorch.
Some people say to quench in cold water, but it really makes little difference with copper.
Unless the washer is damaged, this seems to make them fit leak-free every time (or until they are too thin to use).

Oh, maybe invest in some locktite, too - cheaper than half a tank of diesel!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hmmmm have we solved the problem?   hmmmm have we solved the problem? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 2:55 pm

yh i have just decided i need to sort this problem fairly quick, today we averaged 15 miles per gallon Shocked

cheers for that advice andybloke will will do that tomorrow with the copper washers if any come withe the banjo bolts,

if i had any useful advice i would share it but all i can give is that tomato sauce goes well with pizza Laughing
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: hmmmm have we solved the problem?   hmmmm have we solved the problem? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 3:38 pm

kieran wrote:
if i had any useful advice i would share it but all i can give is that tomato sauce goes well with pizza Laughing

Quite right!

Stops the toppings falling off.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: maybe i have a hole also?   hmmmm have we solved the problem? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 6:27 am

15 MPG - i'd be happy with that!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hmmmm have we solved the problem?   hmmmm have we solved the problem? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 10:06 am

i guess 15mpg is not so bad Laughing

well touch wood and fingers crossed i have sorted it Very Happy

i will tell you after tomorrow morning
cheers kieran
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hmmmm have we solved the problem?   hmmmm have we solved the problem? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 10:34 am

in short
no
the problem still exists nobody seems to know whats wrong with it not even the garage man Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hmmmm have we solved the problem?   hmmmm have we solved the problem? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hmmmm have we solved the problem?
Page 1 of 1