Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

big wheels

Go down 
+4
andybloke
The Lamb Chops
Tom Mc
paul
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

big wheels - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: big wheels   big wheels - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:16 pm

Now I thought the question was "what's the largest tyres that can be fitted under a unmodified Disco, not the TDI/TD5 v V8 argument. Now we all know that diesel/veg oil is the best fuel. Well it costs more anyway Crying or Very sad

Paul. As previously stated, the largest are 235x70x16" is the largest that can be fitted without any mods. If you want to a lot of off roading and still have a car that is still usable on the road then 32" tyres i.e. 235x85x16".
To fit these tyres you will need +2" springs so they will fit in the wheel arch and +2" shock absorbers so the axle will articulate, you will also need to "cammel cut" the wheel arches so the tyres don't rub. You may need off set wheels so the stand further away from the chassis so they don't rub on the radius arms. Not all Discos are the same you maybe lucky and not need the wheels. Those 8 spoke modulars do look good though and they do give you a wider track, therefore more stable.
What you must remember is the more capable you make your car off road i.e. giving it more ground clearance, lifting the lowest part of the car, the diffs. It all goes to make the car less suitable for on road. 235x80 raises the gearing by about 12% making the car less resposive unless you are prepared to stir the gear leaver. One way to partly over come this is to make your engine develope more torque Twisted Evil This I have done to my 200tdi by fitting a larger intercooler, tweaking the turbo boost and giving it a bit more fuel.
The Disco on standard size tyres with a mud pattern will suprise most people including me on how capable it is. It all depends on how much off roading you are planning to do.
Last years Landy Rally all the off roading could be done with a standard Disco on road tyres, even the smugglers route out of Andora.
Even with the engine mods I have done to my car, if I have a choice of my car or my wife's standard Disco for a long run, I take the standard Disco. This does not mean my car is sh£te on the road, I do do long journeys, it is just that hers is better.
I hope this has helped and not confused the issue. Hope you have a good rally, wish I was coming this year.

ps Andybloke. 235x80x16" the speedo reads very nearly spot on according to sat nav, it just goes to show that standard speedos shows 10% fast + or - 2 or 3%
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
paul

paul

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: wheels   big wheels - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:56 pm

thats great mate thanks my disco has gota 2 inch lift springs and pro comp gas shocks on it already
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: big wheels   big wheels - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:41 pm

We have a 2" lift and 235/85 BFG MTs. A bit of "meatball mechanics" was required as a temporary measure to stop rubbing on the wheel arches! Shocked

big wheels - Page 2 Campin10

Followed by using a grinder to do the job properly at home and in Val D'Isere! (Cheers Camel Adventures - your grinder with mobile power was very useful!) cheers

Lu and T :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: big wheels   big wheels - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 3:49 am

'ere Tweedie, how long did Lu make you stand on one leg when you forgot her birthday card? Razz
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: big wheels   big wheels - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi there,well if you have the 2" lift already then standard wheels/tyres must look a bit silly with all that air around them. Just be aware that fitting tall tyres raises the center of gravity even higher.

The general consensus is if you want to look the part then 265x75 tyres are the ones to fit but if you want to be able to do the bussiness off road then 235x85 are the ones to go for. Because they are narrower then they will cut through the sloppy stuff onto the harder stuff below. They also lift the lowest part of the car, the diffs. My 235x85 BFG MTs have now done over 25,000 miles and are about half worn. I will obviously change them long before they are illeagle because they will lose it in the mud. The car goes around corners on the door handles and the tyres have yet to let me know that it is too much for them. The Insa Turbos, they are good in the mud but very noisey on tarmac, and I don't think they will last like BFGs.

Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: big wheels   big wheels - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

big wheels
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2