Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Poorly Range Rover

Go down 
+4
Keith Johnson
Crazy~Johno
Tom Mc
Badger
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 4:07 am

My Range Rover has gone clatter clatter, pop and then fizzle.

Does anyone know where I can get a 4.6 lump from? or a crashed RR

It looks like the extreme cold had frozen the coolant and driving to work on thursday morning, with the temperature reading correctly inside it went clatter as i accelerated from a traffic light and then the thermostat housing blew and deposited a cloud of steam all over the place.

The big yellow taxi took me to the local garage. I was finally able to start it to move it into the parking bay and it sounded awful......The man has done a compresion test and they read as follows 120 110 45 50 35 45 65 60......Not at all what it should be....

Turners want about £2500 for a replacement block and then i might have to get the heads done also.

It might be just the head gasket done......

It might be for sale for spares.......
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 5:51 am

Oh poo ... or words to that effect. Mine succumbed to the cold as well, hopefully it’s just the water pump but I’m not counting any chickens! Well the water couldn’t have frozen as there was no water in it. Ever since I’ve had it, despite being fine all day after a long run it will gulp down about 3 litres before setting off the following day. Can’t be a porous block as it wouldn’t use that much, a seeping head gasket perhaps as there are no obvious leaks like a heater matrix split, who knows? Guess it’s come to a head for the P38 and mine now … sorry, terrible pun. No
Back to top Go down
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 3:08 pm

kieran i wonder if the 4.6 HSE p38 down at B and B might have the engine to go in it hehe sunny bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 6:36 am

I would DEFINITELY replace not just the engine but the whole Grunge Rover with a Disco - much more reliable - even Pinky hasn't had those problems (yet) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil !!

PS anyone fancy a chocolate orange ??
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 4:43 pm

ohh bugger that reminds me my antifreeze is still in the bottle in the back

sorry to hear about that badger,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Range-Rover-P38-4-6-V8-Engine-VGC_W0QQitemZ350146886571QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item350146886571&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

theres just an engine, cost alot dont they affraid

it may cost a simular price to buy a full p38 as have your engine fixed but if you have it fixed at least you know it will be a good engine
http://http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/land-rover-range-rover-p38-SAT-NAV-NO-RESERVE-no-px-why_W0QQitemZ220344221995QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item220344221995&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318

best of luck
kieran
Back to top Go down
rooftop

rooftop

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-06-24

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 6:03 am

dont be a fool badger and pay them prices for a 4.6 fuel gobbling demon that you wont top up with water,and then bang it goes again.do the sensible thing and get a diesel[dirty smelly slow dirty] but theres loads out there for less than 2500 grand put some too and u can get a td5 for 4000 alday andy exasscrew
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 8:09 am

That's the point though Andy, they are slow.

If you're going to have a motorway cruiser, and let's face it the P38 always was, then you have to have the best - a 4.6 V8. Badger's not interested in mud-plugging, he's been there and done that for years with the best all-round 4x4 ever made - the RR Classic! Besides, he had LPG professionally fitted when he bought the vehicle, thus he's running on half price fuel, less car tax and less insurance (I assume?)

Caught between a rock and a hard place, he has to go for another V8. Thing is, if he can wait and not rush into buying a real expensive lump now, over the course of Spring and Summer he'll pick up a bargain along the way as belts tighten. He may even pick up a salvage vehicle or an insurance write-off, in which case he'll be quids in. He will find one, just you see!
Back to top Go down
rooftop

rooftop

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 8:33 am

ILL PUT A POST ON OUR SITE SEE IF WE HAVE ANYONE WITH ONE,WE HAVE ONE OR TWO SALVAGE AGGENTS IN CLUB,WHEN U OFF TOO ROMANIA ANDY
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 2:38 pm

No need to shout! In 'computer speak' that's what capital letters mean.

Cheers on behalf of the the stripey one - Badger!

As for mine, forgot to say that I started it up a couple of days later when the temperature had risen considerably, and it was fine. No horrible grating sound you get when a water pump is knackered (it's as if the bearings are dry - does a water pump have bearings? Dunno, but that's the sound), plus it was accompanied by that high-pitched squealing sound of a fan belt slipping. But now quite literally NOTHING! It's behaved itself ever since and I've driven it from Bornmuff to Ross-on-Wye and up to Crewe ... and back, then Bornmuff to London return. No problem whatsoever apart from using 3-4 litres of water for a day's run. Very strange, but my wallet is very relieved; pity Badger can't say the same about his.

So what was that high-pitched grating sound I heard that day? All I can put it down to is - it was so cold that particular morning, the water must have been frozen in the water pump itself or surrounding area, but the alternator belt was turning on the water pump pulley, hence creating the grating and high-pitched squeal. I suppose because I shut down the engine immediately and didn't attempt to restart it, it didn't do any lasting damage? Phew! pale

As for yours truly heading to Romania in the Spring, see my new thread in the Events section of this forum entitled "Romania charity run Easter(ish) 2009".
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 1:43 am

Thanks for all the advice guys n gals within the forum and aside.

I have had a bit of a week of it really...I put the mondeo in to the garage for the mot and service to find that it needed about £1000 of work to the rear subframe, trailing arm, brake caliper to get the mot.

and then I crashed the coutesy KA they gave me.....(£1000 excess)

OUCH!!

RR is going to have to go on hold for now.....I shall get it back to mine and then see what happens in the summer when I get some money again. I might make some discrete enquireies about selling it for spares - especially as it has the LPG kit and recent suspension bits - it might be better to do that and then buy a proper toy.

But on the bright side thats the 3 things....nothing else can go wrong surely.....
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 8:57 am

Well you would think so, but that sex change operation you've been on about for years may go horribly wrong (it could even go tits up!!! Razz )

... or they could yet feel your collar for your part in the Brinks Mat heist back in `83

... or that 'mistaken baby' incident at the hospital where you were born may come back to haunt you

... or a 1,001 other horrors could be waiting around the corner.

Never mind, you know what they say - "Always look on the b r i g h t side of life, do do, do do do do do do". Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 10:37 am

I know we have launched the landy' ish Rally but does a Mondeo qualify ?

Your Mondeo sounds like Lenny's catalogue of disasters on Landy Rally.

If all else fails I believe Pinky isn't planning on doing anything that week !! affraid affraid lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
rooftop

rooftop

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 12:33 pm

sorry 4 shoutin dont know im doin it,just been on phone 2 one the lads he had to replace a 4ltr recently 3000£ but that was a complete engine i believe,new he works for a dealer appleyards he thinks the 4.6 is the same as,but ill see him this weekend at parkwood offroad.he did say though dont bother with a second hand unit as yuoll only buy someones basket case regards andy[it seems as if im wispering now] ha
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Called a bonnet, the Mondeo has a lovely slope. Fred will be delighted as he's back in Tango this year. Twisted Evil

Personally I reckon Badger should cut his losses and flog the P38 on ebay for whatever he can get. He can always put a sensible low reserve on it just to prevent it going for a £1 (as much as that I hear you cry Razz ) and just get rid. Bloody annoying it may be, but that's what you get buying an expensive motor - 'expensive' being a relative term compared to £1,000 Range Rover Classics. Not having a go, just pointing out the facts. Old RR or LR engines cost a whole lot less, that's life.
Back to top Go down

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 4:47 pm

if you decide to break it badger i might be interested in some parts as theres a real bad noise on the rangie sounding like cogs mismeshing hopfully just a UJ
and might well be interested in the LPG kit
good luck with what ever option you take

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Range Rover has gone   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 3:31 am

Just a quick update to let you all know that i am no longer the owner of a RR. No more listening to the sound of 4.6 V8 scaring the birds first thing in the morning.

I shall miss it - especially on the roads around mine - I had the miss fortune to bend an alloy on my mondeo on a pothole the other day....I am sure he RR would have hardly noticed it.

See you all at an event soon I hope - but I shall be in the Mondeo......until I decide if I can justify getting another Land Rover.
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 5:56 am

I was only joking when I asked if you would do the rally in a Mondeo !

If you don't fancy going very far away from Tango one or very fast, I think Pinkie is planning to sit out this years Landy Rally. Although she's spent the weekend in the "Service Bay" (our drive) getting ready for Mac 4x4 Challenge.

We are currently taking bets on how far she'll get. All money to
Macmilllan Cancer Support!

www.justgiving.com/monstarmac
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 8:14 am

Sad End of an era, well, a chapter at least. Fun while it lasted and all that. Onwards and upwards Badger.
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:39 am

What no Pinkie Sad Sad Sad won't be the same. Hope it's not the last we'll see of Pinkie

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 12:22 pm

Pinkie is still alive and putting up a good fight. She has just completed MAC 4x4 challenge - complete with a MAC green bumper. Doesn't quite look the same as the bright yellow one but nevertheless still striking.
The turbo is still giving Kieran a bit of grief. hopefully we'll have that sorted out shortly. Kieran seems to have lots planned for Pinkie this summer just not Landy Rally (at the moment) but you never know.
Back to top Go down

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 4:29 pm

its just not financially possible to get it ready two years of landy rally and one of the mac ( although thats abit of a soft event ) whilst still using off-road have taken their toll,
pink >>Y <<
is ready for a break and abit more TLC but will definatly be staying around for the foreseable future, as for the turbo its tempting to smack it very hard with a hammer,

ahh well smile and dream of a V8 series three camper paid for by perky nearly got one before perky but decided against it but now the moneys there its likly we will be doing that with the intension of hitting africa at some point Twisted Evil

ahhhh welll back to uni work
night:sleep:
Back to top Go down

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:25 pm

spoke too soon there,
pinky is officiaclly now taking a rest Shocked ....

Poorly Range Rover Dsc00612

heres the list,
the reason for the rac truck was a apparent non-starting problem,
the ignition electrics appear dead, ( unfortunatly not a flat battery )

front crank shaft seal is leaking,
turbo = dead
breather pipe either blew its self off or wobled off leaving oil all over the car park
possible bent valve
possible injector issues ( maybe over fuelling )
CV joint seal has gone

list of jobs to do that were planned anyway
rear body cappings
battery tub
split charge system
disco transfer box

hmmmmmm the kieran charity is taking donations :face: 24hrs a day

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 5:06 am

kieran wrote:

heres the list,

The bumper looks good, though!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 7:46 am

It was dark by the time our "special delivery" turned up last night.

So Pinkie is now resting in "flat offside rear tyre spot" (Both Lenny and the Chevy have got flat tyres as above) next to service bay drive. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

May be she'll recover from the Buxton country air shortly. It is obviously not very good for her.

I'll go and get the kettle and teabags ready. lol!

Kieran I seem to have a fully subscribed life membership to "Kieran Charity" already. It has lasted for the last 19 years so far Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 8:03 am

Sylvia Johnson wrote:
Kieran I seem to have a fully subscribed life membership to "Kieran Charity" already. It has lasted for the last 19 years so far Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

At least you got the free cuddly toy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Sponsored content

Poorly Range Rover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poorly Range Rover   Poorly Range Rover Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poorly Range Rover
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next