Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

200 Oil Issues

Go down 
+3
LuckyTrucker
Sylvia Johnson
andybloke
7 posters
AuthorMessage
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 7:53 am

Red's developed an annoying habit of flashing its oil pressure warning light at me when at idle and hot...

'93 200TDi, 160000 indicated miles, 4000 miles since last flush, filter and oil change (Chevron 10w40 semi, Britpart filter with BFO magnet attached) ...

Place your bets for
  • The first thing Tom would disconnect, Oil Pressure Switch,
  • Here's hoping for a quick fix, Clogged oil filter,
  • Nothing, the oil just stopped working exactly 12 months after being poured in,
  • That old favorite, Head gasket failure, or
  • The expensive rebuild, Cam bearing problems!

Oil, filter and pressure switch change in the morning before a 2 hour drive through the dales to the lakes...
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:35 am

It's not been parked next to Pinky then ? affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 3:11 am

Hi Andy, first of all does it have a death rattle, does it go ok? If it doesn't rattle then maybe the oil presure is low but not enough to cause metal to metal contact in the bearings, if it goes ok then I would not worry too much but of course do not thrash too much.

160,000 is not mega miles for a 200tdi, mine has done 230,000+ and still ok(fingers and everything else crossed). Is it worth changing big ends and mains now before the crank gives up, The bearing shells are not dear or wait until it does give up and then swap for a second hand engine.

Engine swap, not too technical but heavy, renew bearing shells not heavy but technical. The choice is yours. If it is going ok I think I would let it develope, you have breakdown cover I hope. If you have your young man in the car then that is something else to consider.

Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 1:21 pm

LuckyTrucker wrote:
Hi Andy, first of all does it have a death rattle, does it go ok? If it doesn't rattle then maybe the oil presure is low but not enough to cause metal to metal contact in the bearings, if it goes ok then I would not worry too much but of course do not thrash too much.

Sounds fine. Goes fine.

Quote :
Engine swap, not too technical but heavy

Unfortunately there's nowhere level near where we live, except Morrisons, and they have a 3 hour only car park policy... Makes manoeuvring an engine lift tricky.

Quote :
If it is going ok I think I would let it develope, you have breakdown cover I hope. If you have your young man in the car then that is something else to consider.

New filter and oil pressure switch fitted today... I assume the plastic conical side of the switch wasn't supposed to be half full of dirty oil? It was oily and very brittle.
New oil .... didn't have as much as I'd thought, so used 4L Castrol Magnatec 10w40 and 3L of supermarket 15w40 100% mineral.
Two hour run up and down hills fully loaded with family, beer, calor gas etc, nice warm engine, no leaks, no flickering pressure light at very low engine speeds . . . usually only took 20 minutes to show up. Have plenty supplies and an AA card on board Smile

Hopefully it was just the pressure switch. Hopefully!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 1:58 pm

THat is good news cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 12:50 pm

Andy was going to offer you the following ...... BUT

The service bay was almost empty for half a day but Kieran has returned the engine lift to its rightful owner !

So perhaps just as well that Red is now behaving himself.

Pinkie is eating wires again !!! affraid affraid affraid

OOOPS got Mr DD 's log in instead of mine

Sylvia
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 3:52 pm

not eating them, the starter wire rubbed through the rubber and melted, all sorted now using that insulating stuff for sharp edges you gave me andy,
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Surely it's high time you fitted Pinky with smoke alarms? Razz
Back to top Go down

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:24 pm

no fires since andy soted it, other than the sarter wire !!

nah although id save the alarms for your ambulance by the looks of the wiring Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Yes, you could have a point there. Embarassed

Now there's a thought - Andybloke, as you'll be twiddling your thumbs soon, fancy wiring up an ambulance mate? I'M SERIOUS!
Back to top Go down
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2008-01-22

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Having heard the start of the story about your ambulance Tom isn't it time we saw some pics and maybe even a running commentary of progress?!!!! lol!

D
Back to top Go down
http://www.4chas.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 7:28 pm

Love to, but 'Technology Tom' still hasn't mastered the subtle art of posting photos on forums. Tried to follow Andyblokes instructions, but to no avail. Obviously doing something fundamentally wrong, but for the life of me I can't figure out what. Until then, sorry no piccies!
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 4:34 am

Bit late to the party on this one Im afraid.

Is Red still behaving properly Andy?

If not, rather then lift out the engine as suggested already, the bottom end can be fully overhauled from underneath. Sump off, ladder off and drop everything from underneath. Bit of a pita to do, but have done it once before.

Shells & bearings should be replaced if there is any hint of rattle & chatter, otherwise it'll be a much bigger job and will then want the engine out.

Fingers crossed Red's ok though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 5:02 am

You get lost between your armchair and the keyboard Jon? Really must brush up on your navigation for this year! Razz
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 9:28 am

Tom Mc wrote:
You get lost between your armchair and the keyboard Jon? Really must brush up on your navigation for this year! Razz

Very constructive Tom!

...set me thinking though. I wonder if a keyboard could be integrated into and armchair arm?!?!? Sort of James bond, flip out style... Then if the armchair could be integrated into the Defender...

I just know there's a Range Rover joke in there somewhere...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
Sponsored content

200 Oil Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 200 Oil Issues   200 Oil Issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

200 Oil Issues
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Landy Rally :: Your Wheels-
Jump to: