Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Empty
PostSubject: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 8:25 pm

Okay, as some of you will be aware, I bought a 1973 Range Rover Classic ambulance recently to eventually turn into a camper. This is the state of play so far:-

Originally a 3.5 litre V8 5-speed manual model, with the help of the Haynes family (it's former owners) and Kieran, it now has a 3.9 litre V8 and auto box installed. Now with the assistance of Mike, a friend of Deano (Team Range Ravers) it will soon be wired up and ready to accept its new livery of Landy Rally tangerine with white signwriting.

Fingers crossed, the idea is it will have an MOT and be ready in time for Billing, and if all goes REALLY well I may even take it on Landy Rally 2009 in September! A tall order, this may be a step too far; we'll see. Exciting stuff though!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 9:20 am

affraid nice one tom,,,,,,overlander,,,,, cheers
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Can't wait to see it (I still think the Yank Tank would be more fun) ... I notice you didn't get Kieran to help with the wiring !!
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 1:07 pm

Styrange that, can't think why? scratch Reckon in future he should be sponsored by Chubb! Razz

Yep Tug, that's the idea. Anyone up for North Africa next year?
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 2:01 pm

yea me,,,,, :afro:
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 2:02 pm

i was looking at north africa this morning,,,if only you could load pics,,,,didnt i send you a pic this morning,,,,
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Nope! Just BBQ rules in an email.

Everyone does Morocco, so how about going somewhere different like Libya? Evidently there are still many WWII tanks and vehicles rusting (or rather not rusting) in the vastness of the Libyan Sahara, they could be fun tracking down.
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 3:29 am

yea just keep out of the mine fields,,,thats why there rotting there nobody wants to go get them,,,,,, affraid
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2009-04-22

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 4:30 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Okay, as some of you will be aware, I bought a 1973 Range Rover Classic ambulance recently to eventually turn into a camper.

Thought this might appeal to you Tom!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Range-Rover-Ambulance-Camper_W0QQitemZ260469922962QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes?hash=item3ca5379c92&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 6:25 pm

Interesting and thanks for mentioning it, but I have to say it looks pants compared to mine. Side view isn't that spectucular, but the back. Yuk!

Will attempt to show you a piccie of my baby, IF, and it's a big if, I can post a photo on my own. Kieran was with me t'other day to show me, but now he's back home ...

Here goes.

I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Rr_amb10

Okay, my ambulance clearly needs some TLC so won't be ready for LR`09, but when it's done and sprayed tangerine with Landy Rally graphics all over, reckon it will look the part. The fact it's tax exempt sure helps as well. cheers

Last edited by andybloke on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inlined photo)
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 2:34 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Interesting and thanks for mentioning it, but I have to say it looks pants compared to mine. Side view isn't that spectucular, but the back. Yuk!

Oh I dunno, they both resemble house bricks from the side don't you think...large house bricks that is! lol!

I quite like the ebay one actually, especially the roof overhang above the doors. It's the little things as they say.

I saw an RR I quite fancied whilst looking on ebay, that was also in orange and with a 200tdi lump.

I'm sure you'll have a great time doing your thing to the wagon and will be interesting to see your progress.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 4:51 am

You're dead right, it is "the little things". That's what I don't like about most RR ambulance conversions, the fact that it looks as if the coachbuilders have simply stripped a Rangie down and added an aftermarket fibreglass box on the back that sort of resembles a Range Rover Classic. It's the overhang part I don't like! As you can see, mine has flowing lines as if it came straight from the factory as a standard model complete with an aluminium body.

Pernickety I know, but that’s the way I see it. Each to their own an’ all that.

You gonna bid for the ebay version then? Go on, you know you wanna!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 11:15 am

Tom Mc wrote:
You're dead right, it is "the little things". It's the overhang part I don't like! As you can see, mine has flowing lines as if it came straight from the factory as a standard model complete with an aluminium body.

You gonna bid for the ebay version then? Go on, you know you wanna!!! Twisted Evil

Well aspects of the ebay RR aren't beyond conversion but I still maintain the door/roof overhang should stay and as you rightly say, each to their own.

Bid for it? lol! I don't like it THAT much! Besides, if I could get anywhere near paying out even a 1/5th of that price then I too would be dropping out of the rally on the terms of being totally skint!

Y'know the great thing about never having won the lottery is that I can window shop 'til the cows come home without ever getting complacent or spoilt! (Hmmm, something doesn't quite add up there) No
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 12:06 pm

Well well, seems we've three things in common - I'm not complacent, I'm not spoilt, and I've never won the soddin' lottery!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I want an Overfinch Range Rover Classic conversion, a twin-turbo triple-supercharged gull-wing Range Rover Sport, an 8x8 Range Rover camper, the Queen's 'state occasion' Range Rover for waving and looking down on the masses as I pass through 4x4 shows ... did I mention I like Range Rovers? :rabbit:
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Tom Mc wrote:

I want an Overfinch Range Rover Classic conversion, a twin-turbo triple-supercharged gull-wing Range Rover Sport, an 8x8 Range Rover camper, the Queen's 'state occasion' Range Rover for waving and looking down on the masses as I pass through 4x4 shows ... did I mention I like Range Rovers? :rabbit:

I assume the 8x8 would be 4 wheel steer?

I think with lottery money I would have a Disco rear end married to an Isetta front end but convert the single front door to a drop down (horse box style) and see if it would be feasable to have a 3 wheel drive system and powered by a Perkins 6.2D! Very Happy

What...SLS? Nah...coils front and rear. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!   I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I've acquired a 1973 tax exempt RR ambulance!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Landy Rally :: General Chit Chat-
Jump to: