Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sat navs

Go down 
+3
andybloke
Crazy~Johno
Dean McGuigan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dean McGuigan

Dean McGuigan

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 10:52 am

Any opions out there on a desent sat nav to purchase for the rally? Been looking at the Tom Tom one XL and the Garmin Nuvi 255W cuz they are relatively cheap compared to the super navs but im starting to get a head ache from looking into it so if anyone can throw their 2 pence worth in about them or any others up to £150 then i would be grateful scratch
Back to top Go down
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 11:21 am

we had a tom tom and a garmin last year and Team Monstar still got lost!! haha No
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars
Dean McGuigan

Dean McGuigan

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 11:26 am

Lol that is terrible fairplay to them! Which would u say performed the best?
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 12:46 pm

I've been using Garmin kit for years, and generally find it works well. Only tried tom tom once, and didn't get on with that.
The Nuvi range are nice. If you find one with a T at the end of the model number, it comes with a traffic report receiver, so has traffic jam avoidance on major routes.
Check Amazon - they were cheapest a few weeks ago. If you have AA breakdown cover, put your membership number into www.garmin.com/aa to unlock discounts on the garmin site. If you buy from somewhere other than Garmin, don't register it until September - if there are any map updates available, you should get them for free.

Look for the Garmin "Lane Assist" function, too. That shows what lane to get into in advance of junctions. The Nuvi also has the security feature of asking for a PIN number if you turn it on anywhere except home, and a single touch "find nearest petrol" function.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
JC

JC

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 2:02 pm

Dean McGuigan wrote:
Any opions out there on a desent sat nav to purchase for the rally? Been looking at the Tom Tom one XL and the Garmin Nuvi 255W cuz they are relatively cheap compared to the super navs but im starting to get a head ache from looking into it so if anyone can throw their 2 pence worth in about them or any others up to £150 then i would be grateful scratch

When I recently looked around for a sat nav I came across one on ebay and although I didn't buy it (wasn't suitable for my needs) the seller sent the following reply to me..."In short no, go for a Garmin 60CSX brilliant bit of kit, thrashed mine around the Sahara and worked a dream.

My personal preference would be a Garmin, not based on knowledge, just reputation.
Back to top Go down
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 2:45 pm

mine is a garmin and its pretty good as you can add your own POI (points of interest) such as LPG stations, its also easy to change the voice and pictures, ie i have Dr Nightmare and my vehicle is a tank or a golf buggy, its not the singing dancing traffic alerts but it does have speed cameras etc,
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:38 pm

We opted for a Mio 4 years ago and she is very good at green laning. We found our way back to the main road in Spain When the roadbook didnt resemble where we were (ie we were lost) However she has more recently taken us greenlaning in North Yorshire - a lovely road she just forgot we were in a Chevy Day Van and not "Lenny" at the time. The local walkers got a it of a shock when we came round the corner !!.

She doesnt have all the traffic details and she didn't stop Mr DD having his photo taken by one of those nice cameras at the side of the Road. But she does have a character all of her own and has got us round Landy Rally twice, on a grand tour of Scandinavia although she ran out off map in Finland. A trip to the Pyrenees and another tour of Norway plus umpteen hockey pitches all around the Midlands. Kierans is A NuviT and seems to do allsorts of extra things.

It's really down to what you want it to do. On Landy rally you are supposed to do it all with the set of maps that you need to bring and the road book. But we do own up to using them when coming out of Andorra at 2.30pm after a brake pipe replacement on ours and a clutch cylinder repair on Kierans and the next campsite was Italy ! Fastest route was rather a good setting !

Good Luck with the shopping
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 9:19 am

i havent got a tom tom,,,,iv got an erica,,,,[misses],,,,, affraid
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 9:06 am

We've got a Tom Tom 1 Europe (with traffic alerts). We bought it after Landy Rally, so I don't know how useful it is for that. We used it round the Pyrenees, but to be honest I don't rely on it a lot. I have it on, with no route planned with the compass on the screen too, which helps to check which road you are on and direction you are travelling in, but I nav using the map really. You can put co-ordinates into it which is really useful sometimes.

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
Dean McGuigan

Dean McGuigan

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 9:50 am

Using it as an aid is a novel idea although having a route planned does give u an eta, very handy at times. Next on the agenda is finding a sat nav nice and cheap..... hours of internet searching beckons..... geek
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 4:13 pm

We used ours to work out roughly how long and how far away we were from the campsite
I remember heading up to the stop after the Garvia Pass last year (I can't remember the name only the camp site) and between us we had 4 different sat navs with eta's which varied in time and distance of upto 3 hours and about 60 miles. I think ours (Tina) thought no one would be daft enough to try the Garvia Pass. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sat navs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sat navs   Sat navs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sat navs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Landy Rally :: General Chit Chat-
Jump to: