Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To Those Up North!

Go down 
+3
Tom Mc
andybloke
JC
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JC

JC

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2009-04-22

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 12:04 pm

Posted this once already but heck knows where it went!

Does anybody live near Huddersfield that can do a collection for me, or maybe someone is going that way in the near futrure?

I could collect the goods from you at the LR Christmas do. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 1:08 pm

Depends what size, how bad it smells, and when it needs collecting!

I do head over Hudds/Halifax/Brighouse way quite often. Next due in a couple of weeks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
JC

JC

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 1:37 pm

andybloke wrote:
Depends what size, how bad it smells, and when it needs collecting!

I do head over Hudds/Halifax/Brighouse way quite often. Next due in a couple of weeks.

No smells (to my knowledge).

I need picking up some Discovery Commercial glass! Basically it is 2 x rear quarter glass and 2 x rear passenger glass. The rear passenger glass will need a good bit of boot space as they have extended framework on them.
I think a couple of weeks would be fine, I'll get back to you on this.

Is it possible to give me a firm date at this stage or is that too early?

If you prefer to arrange on the phone you can PM me and I'll give my number.

I appreciate this muchly Andy.
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 2:52 pm

Shouldn't be a problem.

You have messages.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
JC

JC

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 3:13 pm

andybloke wrote:
Shouldn't be a problem.

You have messages.

I'm on the case!

PM responded to.
Back to top Go down

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 5:09 pm

if its not sorted already give me a ring, my house mate's boyfriend lives in huddersfield and couldcollect for me

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:29 pm

kieran wrote:
if its not sorted already give me a ring, my house mate's boyfriend lives in huddersfield and couldcollect for me

cheers kieran

Thanks Kieran, I have been let down by the guy and I think it's a no go UNLESS I can pull something off. I'm working on a plan.....BAULDRIIIICK!!!!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 12:01 pm

kieran wrote:
Kieran, you talking about your housemate James? affraid
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Tom,

James lives down the road !
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-07-18

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 3:32 pm

JC,
What do you need for changing your disco?
I could look around here/
Disco"s are demolised very often
Back to top Go down
http://www.dezeilmaker.nl
JC

JC

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 11:35 pm

cadarn wrote:
JC,
What do you need for changing your disco?
I could look around here/
Disco"s are demolised very often

Mainly I'm after all the side glass behind the driver, ie passenger doors and rear quarter panel from a Discovery Commercial. It's a solid black (opaque) tinted security glass and will fit from models '99 to '04.

Thanks for offering to look Jaap but it's more rare than hens teeth!
Back to top Go down
The Rally Virgins

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-10-08

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 2:27 am

Hi JC,

Hope you are well.

Have you thought about using complete black out tint or spraying the glass black?

I was thinking of doing the canopy of the Hilux this way.

Regards

Chris
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 2:45 am

The Rally Virgins wrote:
Hi JC,

Hope you are well.

Have you thought about using complete black out tint or spraying the glass black?

I was thinking of doing the canopy of the Hilux this way.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, fine thanks, hope all is well with you!

Believe me I've considered all the options. I chose against black out tint because it's a ridiculous price for what it is plus it's wafer thin. Paint would need an acid etch in order to key the glass otherwise anything that accidently rubs the inner glass would eventually scrape the paint off. Unfortunately glass isn't the ideal thing to paint. In saying that there is a paint product in the USA that is suitable for painting glass but the postage costs more than the product! scratch

I think I've finally decided to use solid black vinyl. The inner rear quarter panel will be ply lined so there's no worry of anything coming into contact with the glass and scraping the vinyl. The middle windows won't have ply but then I don't think they're quite so much at risking of scratching.

JayC
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 8:42 am

An update Chris.

I bought 5 metres of black (solid) vinyl for about 35 notes. It is thicker than the tinted products you often see used for cars therefore longer/harder wearing. The benefit of buying more than required, as opposed to a designer pack for a specific vehicle is that if anything (yeah you guessed) goes wrong you can cut another piece from the excess.

After completing 6 pieces of side glass in pleasant weather I felt I deserved a coffee! Nobody told me that when I go back outside to do the rear glass the wind was going to pick up. Sad

Just as I prepped the vinyl a gust of wind picked up and folded it against itself. Honestly, it was more frustrating that being led down an ever narrowing thorny bush track by some nutter in a Hilux. Twisted Evil

Think I may need to do the rear glass again but overall well impressed with outcome and far cheaper than buying the Commercial glass from an ebayer that has innadvertantly done me a favour by deciding not to sell.

Thanks again Andy for your kind offer and Kieran too!
Back to top Go down
cadarn

cadarn

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-07-18

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 11:27 am

This means I don't have to look anymore?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dezeilmaker.nl
JC

JC

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 am

cadarn wrote:
This means I don't have to look anymore?

Yes that's correct Jaap. Sorry I didn't notify you earlier but I really wanted to see how it pans out before I got too excited and only made the decision yesterday to buy the vinyl.
In truth you really would have struggled to find the glass Jaap as it's such a rarity. Thanks for keeping an eye out anyway.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 11:24 am

Sebastian, the Austrian guy who has helped out various Landy Rally teams passing through his home town for the past couple of years , bought his 90 with yellow vinyl stuck all over the bodywork. Surprisingly it looks okay. I'm sure Roadrunners or somebody can post a picture of his Landy on here.

Definitely good for potential scratches ... take note JC. Wink

Last edited by Tom Mc on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 2:36 am

It does look really smart, and is virtually unscratchable. Or at least when it is scratched its just a replacment bit of vinyl

To Those Up North! Sebast10
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
JC

JC

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 4:36 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Sebastian, the Austrian guy who has helped out various Landy Rally teams passing through his home town for the past couple of years , bought his 90 with yellow vinyl stuck all over the bodywork. Surprisingly it looks okay. I'm sure Roadrunners or somebody can post a picture of his Landy on here.

Definitely good for potential scratches ... take not JC. Wink

Cheers Tom/Keith, this is similar to what is referred to as 'vehicle wrapping'. Vehicle wrapping in its true sense and to the naked eye looks as good as any pro-paint job, no, even better actually! Wrapping is a very expensive process but can look the dogs wotsits. 'Wrapping' is the process used on many fleet vehicles and busses for advertising in case you weren't aware.
I think even to have vinyl laser cut to shape or even the amount of vinyl required to approximate the panel work will be very expensive.

Arguably it is cheaper than a paint job but on this occasion if we'd stuck to the road map scratch we wouldn't have ended up in the Congo which is the only occasion where damage was taken!

Still , I shan't dis-count this idea. Hmmm a wacky multi-coloured Disco Td5, not many of them to the pound! bounce
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 7:06 am

Know what you mean by vehicle wrapping, that's what the RR ambulance will have in part one day, but Sebastian's 90 was individually cut in sections. Expensive? Possibly, but with the materials sourced wholesale and time and ability on your hands, it wouldn't be too bad. Novel if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 7:26 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Know what you mean by vehicle wrapping, that's what the RR ambulance will have in part one day, but Sebastian's 90 was individually cut in sections. Expensive? Possibly, but with the materials sourced wholesale and time and ability on your hands, it wouldn't be too bad. Novel if nothing else.

Novel true, be a heck of a job removing the residue left behind though when it eventually gets removed!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 8:07 am

Nah, just 'follow the leader' and it will remove all residue a treat. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

To Those Up North! Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Those Up North!   To Those Up North! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Those Up North!
Page 1 of 1