Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top Gear Bolivia special

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dean McGuigan

Dean McGuigan

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Top Gear Bolivia special Empty
PostSubject: Top Gear Bolivia special   Top Gear Bolivia special Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 7:11 am

Sunday 27th @ 7.45 its a must to watch or record if you cant as Clarkson, Hamster and Captain Slow are traveling on and off road right to the centre of Bolivia in 4x4s under the value of £3,500 including a Jeep, Range Rover classic and a Suzuki! Crying or Very sad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pm34y

Top stuff! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Top Gear Bolivia special   Top Gear Bolivia special Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 7:40 am

Jeep??? Don't think so Deano, that's a Toyota BJ40, equivalent of early Series Landy's. They often win the Malaysian Rainforest Challenge (that's if there are no Rangies competing that is Smile ) so it proves their pedigree. They are brill.
Back to top Go down
Dan White

Dan White

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Top Gear Bolivia special   Top Gear Bolivia special Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 1:55 am

How many of us were shouting at the telly last night?!?!!

I particularly liked the way they when they were on the raft, no winches, and when they left the beach all 3 had winches fitted - or the complete rebuild of hammond's front diff on the side of the road! Now i know that you can achieve a lot with ducktape, a leatherman and a hammer but hmmm, set up for good tv methinks.

Good effort in hiding the camera/support crew too, but nice to see the odd shadow and or glimpse of defender front wing once or twice!
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Top Gear Bolivia special   Top Gear Bolivia special Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 2:25 am

Dan White wrote:
I particularly liked the way they when they were on the raft, no winches, and when they left the beach all 3 had winches fitted

You didn't notice that they all had the winch mounts in place when they arrived (hence the number plates in the front window)?

Quote :
or the complete rebuild of hammond's front diff on the side of the road!

I thought they just took the broken diff out of the rear axle and discarded it.

Quote :
Now i know that you can achieve a lot with ducktape, a leatherman and a hammer

You didn't know this already?
Duct tape's like the Force ... it has a light side, a dark side, and holds the universe together.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Top Gear Bolivia special   Top Gear Bolivia special Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 8:32 pm

Still haven't seen it. Will make up for that tonight as I recorded it. I'll also keep the video for those who missed it.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Top Gear Bolivia special   Top Gear Bolivia special Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 6:00 am

good entertainment - but so frustrating in places - all the crashing into each other and stupid stuff (setting fire to each others stuff, intentional drowning)just for a bit of entertainment really does want to make me get the machete out a la JM.

They obviously had some good support people with them as the bridge was very nicely done and I cant imagine any of them knowing enough to do that ;o)

I felt really sorry for "donkey" at the end just for a cheap TV shot....

It did make me and Dr. Evil think that we would love to do that drive sometime.....
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Top Gear Bolivia special   Top Gear Bolivia special Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 8:00 am

I finally managed to find time to watch it last night, and I concur wholeheartedly oh stripy one. Rolling that poor ol' LandCrusier down that dune was sacrilege. What was the excuse? "Forgot the handbrake". Rollocks!

Still, give them some credit for Clarkson really did have mud up to his gonads (whether he was actually sinking is another matter entirely, but the mud line was clearly at the top of his legs) and go on, admit it, they did have us on the edge of our seats where the RR was passing that white Toyota Amazon on the mountain road. As soon as they showed the first scene from afar, you just knew it was impossible for the two vehicles to squeeze through, yet they tried (supposedly). Don't know how they did it, but it looked good. The crumbling edge brought back some memories I tell you, amazing I'm still here really. affraid

The other daft thing were those mods. Mind you, that's exactly the kinda stupid things that third world countries do to 4x4's, it's true to form.

Personally, despite winches magically appearing and setting vehicles alight with what obviously was some inflammable liquid, overall I enjoyed it. It was TV after all and not 'real life'.

Agree too with Badger ... oh how I'd love to undertake that drive! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Gear Bolivia special   Top Gear Bolivia special Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top Gear Bolivia special
Page 1 of 1