Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself

Go down 
+4
Captain Chaos
CarpeDiem
theshortwayround
Tom Mc
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Empty
PostSubject: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 4:47 am

Well I managed it, but only just. As you know, for fuel economy I set off roughly two weeks an ordinary road-going Mk.2 turbo diesel Astra, badged as an Opel Astra on the Continent, a car that was on permanent loan by a good friend – another off-roader as it happens. This was fine and dandy in the temperate north of France, but as soon as it started warming up as I headed south (33° being the norm), things went rapidly wrong. Basically, the poor old thing couldn’t cope with some of the long mountain climbs in the Pyrenees, the temperature needle zooming up into the red in no time at all. The result was inevitable I suppose – a blown head gasket!

MORAL OF THE STORY: Make certain your motor’s cooling system is 100% efficient for Landy Rally, otherwise you too will suffer the same fate. For that very reason I'm just about to purchase a new radiator for the Rangie. Take note, you've been warned!

Anyway, I called the RAC as I had taken out European cover before departure from rain-lashed England … just in case. Good job I did eh? They arrived and hauled the dead Astra off to the nearest Opel dealership. What to do now? With still five days of the reconnoitre to go and an aged motor that was beyond economical repair, dumping the car was the only option. But how to continue? Annoyingly, I had just reached the part in the Pyrenees where the tracks started, so had to continue to be able to produce a credible Road Book. Any other other place I reckon I could have worked off maps, but not the tracks (this proved totally correct as I found that several tracks did not even exist any more, so obviously have deleted these from the original Road Book - see, homework DOES pay off). Yes I could have hired a car in Spain, but (1) my RAC policy would only cover two days of the hire fee and I still had five more to go (2) unless I hired a 4x4, the risk of damaging a saloon car on the mountain tracks would have been too great – and at the end of the day yours truly would have been the one paying through the nose for repairs (3) I seriously considered buying an old banger in Spain, but apart from the fact I could have lumbered myself with a pup, how would I insure it? No, only one thing for it, return to England via a direct Ryanair flight from Barcelona to Bournemouth and start all over again. This I did and I reckon it was the right decision.

MORAL OF THE STORY No. 2: I would strongly advise you get yourself some European breakdown cover. Had I not been about to attempt the tracks, I would have instantly gone down the ‘hire car’ route, but as mentioned, unlike yourself I still had a job to do so this was never a realistic option.

Having returned to Blighty, the very next day I bought another diesel Astra off ebay for £350. Mad? Well, although 2 years older and a non-turbo version, it seemed sound enough and I needed to retrieve my brand new towbar I just had fitted to the TD Astra only a few weeks previously costing £200, so bought it, booked another ferry for £60 return (night sailings are definitely cheaper) and headed off to finish the route. One hellava risk I know, but to me life’s all about risks and challenges, however daft they may appear at the time.

So, I’m on the road again. However, I found could not shoot straight back south to where I had left off as all the road number changes in France had caused so much havoc with my original Road Book (the first reconnoitre having been undertaken last year), I felt the ‘first day’s stage’ needed to be repeated all over again. So this I did. Exactly a week later, armed with my trusty new ebay steed, I once again left Calais at 12hrs on a Saturday, heading through France, Belgium and down into Luxembourg. This by the way was the first big change, for it quickly became apparent that reaching the intended stopover at Sarbrucken in Germany would have proved impossible for the Series Landy’s. Despite being both the most practical and logical solution, there was absolutely no way I was going to ban slower Land Rovers from taking part in Landy Rally merely because of their age, so had to adapt accordingly. The campsite will now be just south of Luxembourg City, full details of which will be issued shortly along with all the other campsites en route. This of course has had a knock-on effect to the itinerary, resulting in both the route and the stopovers being amended for this reason. Ironically, far from being a disaster, the effect has been the complete opposite, so making event even better. Now, not only have I found a cracking campsite in Luxembourg, I also found a good ‘un in Italy. Didn’t want to stay in Germany anyway, too expensive by far! Although I can’t tell you anything at the mo, this has also meant other good things will be happening – totally unintentional when I first conceived Landy Rally. You’ll find out … all in good time!

To whet your appetite, I will however tell you that one of these ‘bonuses’ is the off-roading at Val d’Isére. Now, instead of first going to the campsite and basically waiting until we are summoned, we now will be going directly to the off-road site via a Road Book especially prepared by none other than ‘Mr. Val d’Isére’ himself, king of the off-road community in the Alps! Here in a purpose-built area, he will have prepared for us a lunchtime barbeque upon arrival, not to mention a few of his 4x4 mates to meet and greet us. Thereafter, having securely deposited any heavy kit not required, we will be let loose on the “largest off-road site in Europe” – all 800 hectares of it. Now I don’t know much about land sizes, but believe me 800 hectares is FIRKIN MASSIVE!!! This is the very same exclusive location where the 4x4 manufacturers go to promote their products, so feel very privileged we have been given this opportunity. As mentioned before, it is a non-damaging site (whatever that means????) in that there are no trees to bite back, it is not badly rutted so causing your suspension to blow a shock absorbers, instead it is a paradise of rolling, pitching hills that has a backdrop second to none. Trust me, it is an experience you will never forget!

Moving on, I have to say my naturally-aspirated diesel Astra was proving an ideal substitute for a Landy, not off-road of course, but when counting down the miles. It was like a sloth compared to the turbo version, so proved an excellent indicator of how many miles could be achieved in a day. This said, it also confirmed one of my biggest fears. On the days where we have to put in some hefty miles, my advice to those in slower vehicles (i.e. Series II and III’s) is to leave an hour earlier than the other entrants. I realise this is a pain, but an extra hour on the road will make all the difference time-wise, especially early morning when the roads are virtually empty and ‘stop-start' is not an issue, and of course this will also enable crews to pace themselves much better and not put undue strain on their vehicles. The alternative is to arrive at the overnight stop up to two hours later as additional traffic, adverse weather, bad light, etc. can take its toll in the course of a day. So unless you’re prepared to slot in a V8 lump and upgrade the suspension and brakes, sorry but slightly longer hours are the only viable alternative.

Regarding the rest of the event, the one reoccurring question I have been bombarded with is, “what’s the greenling like?” In short the answer is EXCELLENT, but again, because of time (or rather lack of it) this is the biggest drawback for some. The big ‘laning day is on the Wednesday, the day we leave Andorra and cross the north of Spain. Make no mistake, it will be hard but oh so rewarding. Now, to offset the fact that folk will want different things from this day, I have created three options:-

Option No.1 will be an out ‘n’ out ‘Laning Day featuring two sets of tracks + the unavoidable road miles of course. Anyone is welcome to join in this option, but be warned that for the Series vehicles to take part, on this particualr day they will almost certainly have to leave two hours earlier and maybe even arrive an hour late to fit everything in. Mind you, it can hardly be described at ‘greenlaning’ as the dusty trails of the Pyrenees include a combination gravel tracks, rocks and the occasional brook or two, but again the scenery and whole presence of the place is sooooooooo rewarding. The first section is right up in the mountains, and although you won’t be scratching your paintwork, at times it's fairly wooded. The second section could not be any more different. Although still sited in a mountain rage, the valleys and plateaus are best described as a ‘lunar moonscape’ for it is barren, desolate and totally devoid of life – well, human that is for I did see an eagle and numerous birds of prey (kites/falcons and such like) – the area spanning over 60 miles. For instance, when I found myself ‘lost in paradise’ in the Astra last week, I had clocked up 46 miles before I found my way out of the labyrinth of tracks that criss-cross the area! No kidding, it was still bright sunshine and 28° at 7pm when I entered, 10.30pm virtually dark and a darn sight cooler by the time I found tarmac. I have to admit, I was getting more than a little concerned as I started passing exactly the same tracks ... only from the other direction! You’ll laugh, but towards dusk I found myself building piles of rock three high at crossroads and junctions, just like they do in the movies as the thirsty injured group try and find their way out of the desert after the plane crash. Scary!!!!!!!!! At least I wasn’t injured, hungry or thirsty as I had lodas of everything on board, but I did have a schedule to keep and spending the night kipping in a mini-desert wasn’t part of the plan. Every time I followed a track up over a crest expecting to see civilisation, there was nothing – except more and more mountains that is! Really spooky I tell you. That feeling of being totally alone is disconcerting to say the least, so fair play to lone sailors and similar who take on the oceans and barren landscapes of the world. Rather them than me! With this in mind, when I return on the Landy Rally itself I shall be taking a number of little stakes/arrows (orange of course) so we can form a 'paper-trail' to find our way out.

This brings me on to Option No.2 - a ‘Semi ‘Laning Day’. Bearing in mind the lengthy mileage and taxing terrain involved, it is possible to cut out the first set of tracks completely. With a Road Book supplied for the main roads, those who elect to do so can simply by-pass the aforementioned first set of mountain tracks and move on to the ‘dust bowl’, which incidentally is very close to the overnight campsite at Pamplona where an inviting swimming pool awaits!

Last but not least is Option No.3 – a ‘Shopping Day’. WHAT, shopping I hear you ask? Well never say I don’t give you a choice. This option allows those who wish to take advantage of the tax-free bargains Andorra has to offer the opportunity to leave the French/Spanish principality at whatever time they wish and following the Road Book all on main roads (no tracks whatsoever) making their way over to Pamplona in their own good time. I realise in some folks eyes this option won’t be deemed in the spirit of the event, but Landy Rally is all about enjoying yourself, and if it means some coming away with some real bargains under their belts, then let them. Everyone is different after all, so live and let live. As long as you enjoy your off-roading on that day, that’s all that matters. Besides, do to mechanical problems some may not have a choice. Who knows? The point is, the option is there for those who want or have no choice but to avoid the tracks.

So, apart from the daily tasks which remain a state secret (I’ve got some crackers lined up BTW – don’t worry, nothing physical so you don’t have to get into training, but certainly testing on the ol’ grey matter), the exact number of teams taking part (granted, I will tell you here and now this inaugural event will be nowhere near a full entry, but with teams still booking up it’s all looking very healthy and I guarantee the procession of vehicles will look fantastic) and the prize-giving dinner in Calais evening of the Friday (did I mention the owner of the Café de Paris also owns the disco directly opposite? No, didn’t think so. Might just end up there ‘dancing the night away’ or at least my form of dancing!) that’s about it for now.

Ever so chuffed, I’m really pleased with what’s taken place so far as the camaraderie is already showing through, friendships already forming, and if the event is half as much fun I had on the reconnoitre (and that was on my own), then Landy Rally is going to be something special.

I realise it's a daft question in itself, but … any questions folks?
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 5:03 am

All i can say WOW!

Just also want to say, Thanks in advance for all your hard work to make this event possible for us all.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Roll on September!
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 7:53 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Awesome! Great work Tom!

I've read it twice and will read it again, we'll be starting as early as possible. But, if we arrive before anyone one else, we'll be on the gates with a collection box! Twisted Evil

Great stuff! Cheers, Tom.
Back to top Go down
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 8:43 am

Job well done old bean!!
Do you know about the Spanish & Italian road name/number changes happening in August??

Just a passing thought...............................
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 2:23 pm

wow sounds like you had some good fun!!

just one question, what is the dust bowl metioned in option 2?

bring on the worlds biggest off road site cheers cheers cheers

cheers kieran

Monstar affraid
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 4:00 pm

Excellent, cheers Tom! Very Happy

Tweedie and Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 7:29 pm

Thanks for the support folks. However, it truly was a labour of love for I was in my element, so it really wasn't any hardship at all. This said, whilst enjoying it I am also very conscious that my job is not only give you the entrants the best possible value for money – for it goes far beyond that - it’s to make sure you enjoy it as much as I do! In achieving that, if I have to sleep a few nights in the Astra, then so be it. Not the end of the world after all.

As for the dust bowl, it's a massive area that has tracks all over the place. On a 1/400 000 map only one track can be seen in amongst a mass of featureless white nothingness. This would indicate wilderness, although it is far from that. In reality it is a mountain range that consists of valleys, plateaus, drops and rises, and gravel – plenty of gravel! Best thing is of course, without a soul living anywhere nearby there’s also nobody to moan and groan at you. Sheer heaven!
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 1:26 am

Excellent work Tom. Give yourself a gold star!!

I (and I suspect I wont be the only one) am up for Option 1. Given that we are only there once (at least this year!!!) for the sake of getting up a few hours earlier options 2 and 3 aren't even a choice for me.

Last Christmas, whilst en-route to Timbuktu in the old Series 3 we frequently set of at 5am so as to get a head start on the faster vehicles... Sometimes only to arrive 3 hours late as well! Certainly was character building... and bloody good fun!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 1:37 am

Great work Tom.

Yeah, one question... Will we be getting roadbooks before the event, at the start, or in pieces along the way?
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 4:07 am

Daily, for it will also contain the much-talked about tasks. :?: confused :?: confused :?: confused

... and you lot out there can stop trying to get me Brahms in all the various show beer tents in a half-hearted attempt to extract info about said tasks. I'm well practised in the art so you'll have to try a lot harder!

Mind you, Chalky and Sparky (sounds like a clown's circus act - wonder which one has the bucket full of little scraps of paper to 'soak' the audience with?) gave it a good go up in Driffield at the Land Rover Spring Adventure weekend. We all had a bit of a stagger on that night I seem to remember as Mr JD came a' calling in the early hours - or rather was told the following day. drunken That said, you are still welcome to try at Billing; I'm good like that.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 am

Thanks for that Captain, that's just what I DIDN'T want to hear Mad

Just as well compasses don't lie (well, if set up right) as it looks as if we'll need them.
Back to top Go down
batfink

batfink

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 4:03 pm

Marvelous work,its got me a bit scared affraid: and a lot excited will have to quadruple check everything now to put my mind at ease.
And again thanks for all your hard work it takes a lot to sit and drive a vehicle for X amount of hrs (i used to work a farm 12hrs + in a tractor up and down the spud fields)and to gather all the info needed for the Rally at the same time.Hats of to you Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy :
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 5:41 pm

Mmmm, thanks and all that, but best save the praise for after IF it all goes according to plan. Those road number changes have and still will be a nightmare if CC is right. Still, at the end of the day the Road Book will include so many references to towns and villiages along the way, that even without any road numbers at all, plotting a route will be relatively simple.

... or put another way, if I can do it, anyone can do it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself   Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reconnoitre of entire Landy Rally route - an event in itself
Page 1 of 1