Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Landy Rally reconnoitre

Go down 
+5
loncbt
Dean McGuigan
Sylvia Johnson
Tuggy
Tom Mc
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Landy Rally reconnoitre Empty
PostSubject: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 6:25 pm

It's that time again, off on the recce Saturday morning ... all 2,800 miles of it. Well actually, it will be more like 3,500 miles as the number of times we have to make detours due to road closures, new road systems, festivals blocking the route, MISTAKES, etc. It really is quite incredible.

Anyway, my co-driver this time around is none other than ol' conehead himself - Kieran! And before you ask, YES, we have all the essential supplies on board ...

Beer (lager)
Water fire extinguisher
Tent
More beer - Spitfire (when in Germany) and some Bishop's Finger.
Powder fire extinguisher
Sleeping bags
Fire blanket
Stove & gas bottle
Co2 fire extinguisher
Wine
Marmite/Primula/baked beans
fridge (for beer)
Fire-bucket full of sand ... just to be on the safe side!

Think that's it, well, maybe some more beer, but that's the essentials covered.

Can you think of anything else? scratch
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 2:12 am

lots of toilet paper,,,soft,,,,,,marmite,,beans,,,ummmmm affraid
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 2:14 am

Tuggy wrote:
lots of toilet paper,,,soft,,,,,,marmite,,beans,,,ummmmm incolsed space,,,better take resparators,,,,affraid
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 7:20 am

Have you got all the essentials for Landy Rally
5 litres of water
breakfast bars
pen and paper(someone has to write down the directions ! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes )
and of course team spray ! lol! lol!

I've only got one request ---- please avoid that ********* motorway around Milan in Italy for this years Landy Rally it was an absolute nightmare last year!!

Have a good trip.
Back to top Go down
Dean McGuigan

Dean McGuigan

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 9:36 am

Now i know this might be hard for u two but plz do try n take some common sense with u it will come in handy Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Common sense? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I got caught out by that soddin' autostrada last year and like a few others ended up actually in Milan itself! Best avoided I agree.

Team spray is good Tuugy, both for armpits and other pits! Seems we're going start as we mean to go on - Kieran's bringing down a 'Naz curry' tonight so reckon it's gonna be a windy on the ferry ... and that's just INSIDE the ship! No
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Oooops seems the Rangie doesn't want to play! Embarassed Embarassed

Balgium is as far as the pair of them have got before a snapped fan beltad burst hose stopped them in their tracks !!

They are now waiting for the garage to open on Monday morning before deciding what to do. scratch
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 2:36 am

me and tom went to the belgium national years ago,,,there are plenty of rover owners out there that would come to there rescue,,surely hes got some contacts out there,,,, Idea
Back to top Go down
loncbt

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Common sense? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I got caught out by that soddin' autostrada last year and like a few others ended up actually in Milan itself! Best avoided I agree.

Team spray is good Tuugy, both for armpits and other pits! Seems we're going start as we mean to go on - Kieran's bringing down a 'Naz curry' tonight so reckon it's gonna be a windy on the ferry ... and that's just INSIDE the ship! No

we ended up in Milan i think!!!!......we got some funny looks when we needed a quick "pitstop" up an alley....of course there was nobody around when we started...but loads walked by as we did what we had to!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.swporc.co.uk
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Apart from the Italian's appauling driving on the autostrada. We came off the autostrada and promptly managed to lose The Monstars as following their instructions to turn right which we did Roadrunners and Slow and dirty ended up on a road running parallel to where Monstars were ! Roadrunners then proceeded to lose Slow and dirty in the traffic taking wrong turns at traffic lights by which time it was an emergency dash to the "hole in the ground" better known as Gorgonzola station toilets "!

Happy memories Laughing Laughing

We managed to regroup before the Garvia pass !

Back to the recce:- The last text from Kieran mentione also a blown head gasket and the rangie being recovered to Calais (presumably Jean Luc's) and something about a hire car. I'd got a rather strange picture in my head of them trying to do the Recce in a Ford Ka or similar.

lol!

No doubt more news will follow scratch
Back to top Go down
Tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 8:04 am

what motor have they gone in,,,,, scratch
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 11:58 am

I understand it was Tom's blue Range Rover originally. Kieran's 90 still needs a bit of work doing to it to be ready for Landy Rally type expeditions yet. Now they've set off in a hire car but not sure what and had reached the Alps this morning !
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 3:43 pm

Sylvia Johnson wrote:
I understand it was Tom's blue Range Rover originally.

That'll have black tape over all the warning lights and a service history that ends about 20,000 miles ago, then Smile

Thanks for the updates, Sylvia.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Dean McGuigan

Dean McGuigan

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 11:33 am

Bloody gaskets! Had a couple of old bangers scrapped due to the same thing, not good. Good job they didnt get any further than Jean Lucs so on the whole could be a lot worse :pig:

Carry on regardless i say! :arrow:
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:45 pm

Well we've had another couple of text messages ! They've made the Pyrenees and its hot and there are lots of lpg places going across the bottom bit of France !! So not giving much away other than its a Peugeot 207. Not sure how well that will go off road scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
Dean McGuigan

Dean McGuigan

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 11:49 am

I can recall one time when i was with dad about to leave for a 4x4 and my mum said and i quote 'dont u dare take the fiesta (1.1 popular) around any off road courses', well needless to say we had a go and planted the bumper well into the mud when going down to come back up. So maybe he will take the Pug off roading in Val d'sere, who knows :?: Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 9:51 am

Anybody heard how they're doin' or if the RR's been fixed yet?
Back to top Go down
http://www.4chas.com
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:21 am

They caught the ferry back at midnight. I've only seen Kieran from a distance at a set of traffic lights at lunchtime - think he was still half asleep as I drove past blasting the horn and he never even noticed his mum Sad Sad

Spoken to him and said he was a bit tired so by now he's probably tucked up in bed !

Apparently the 207 managed most of it with the Rangie being collected at Calais on the way back (Jean Luc must have waved his magic over it )
Back to top Go down
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 1:19 pm

Good news about the Rangie - heaven help the person who buys the 207 when the hire company sells it on!!! affraid Think there could be a few warranty claims on the suspension and clutch me thinks - if it still has a clutch!!!! Laughing Laughing

As for Kieran - maybe he was half asleep, but just be glad Sylvia that at least he was on the right side of the road!! lol!

D
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:28 pm

I'm glad he was on the other side of the road. That yellow bull bar would make a bit of a mess of my little red car.

He's now back on the drive putting Pinky back together again after Eastnor and 10 days feeling neglected at Tom's - something to do with a leaking seal Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes and more oil on the drive !!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:39 pm

Yep, we’re back. That was certainly an experience. It all started to go pear-shaped in Liege in Belgium (about 50 miles SE of Brussels) when the viscous fan belt snapped on the 3.9 RR. This in turn caused the top hose to not just split, but explode. This at speed is obviously a disaster as you don’t have time to react. No watching the temperature gauge slowly rise, just very rapid over-heating!

Anyway, after it was clear we wouldn’t be going anywhere that night (Sat) the local RAC equivalent garage of the area took the Rangie back to his lock-up while the RAC provided us with a hotel overnight. Next day I struck a deal with the RAC to have the Rangie hauled back to Jean-Luc Guyot’s independent Land Rover workshops in Calais, while Kieran and myself toddled off to Brussels airport in a taxi to collect our hastily-arranged hire car – a Peugeot 207. Don’t laugh, a great little car as it turned out, but actually we had been offered a bigger motor to more match the RR in size – an Opel Zafira or VW Touran. Both there MPV’s may have been bigger, but as they were still both only two-wheel-drive, I figured the extra saving in fuel swung the balance in favour of a smaller vehicle. The ‘Pug’ it was then!

I’ll describe our travels more tomorrow, but for now let it be known that we completed 90% of the recce, travelled 3,684 miles in the process (I still believe 3,000 miles for the teams is a fair guesstimate – will know for sure when the Road Book is compiled and complete) and we are back safe and sound. The only bit we missed out on was the off-roading at Val d’Isère and a couple of intended routes in the Pyrenees, but this won’t be a problem as for the very first time we will have a Scout vehicle this year - in the form of Kieran and James in whatever Landy they will have ready by September.

Any tracks therefore that we didn’t manage to complete in the Pug will be driven on Landy Rally by K & J … 3 hours before the teams arrive! Here they will leave an orange ‘paper trail’ for everyone to follow, hence solving the problem instantly.

As for the off-road capabilities of the Peugeot, these are best left to those magic moments around the camp fire at Billing or wherever. Suffice it to say they are not exactly ideal, yet Kieran and myself managed to plot a route this year that I have no doubt is the “best route to date”.

As I say, more story-telling tomorrow, but for now I’m going to crash out for some much-needed zzzzzzzz time.

Nearly forgot – my blue RR is up and running again thanks to Jean-Luc and his magical powers, but more of that tomorrow too.

Night all!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Wanted to add this bit separately.

Kieran … THANK YOU, you’re a star mate. Never whinged once during the entire mind-numbing experience. Truly amazing for a teenager, it's even more amazing given that he sat next to me for nigh on 11 days.; absolutely bloody brilliant! cheers

Playing ‘catch-up’ after losing the best part of 48 hours due to the RR’s problems would have killed off most people, but he stuck to it like a true pro.

Hope you read this Mr Bofa Bill. Read it and feel ashamed. A man at nineteen, shame you’ll never understand the concept.
Back to top Go down
Dean McGuigan

Dean McGuigan

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
As for the off-road capabilities of the Peugeot, these are best left to those magic moments around the camp fire at Billing or wherever. Suffice it to say they are not exactly ideal, yet Kieran and myself managed to plot a route this year that I have no doubt is the “best route to date”.

Sounds great Smile

Well done on your adventures sounds like a blast although a little taxing!

And well done Keiran i managed 9 days in the Rangie with dad last year so i know what its like Laughing and bonnie will have all the pleasure in september Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Hey, you should be feeling sorry for me. Remember, it also works the other way as I have to put up with "Miss Moaner" for 9 days! affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 3:14 pm

well done both - sounds like an adventure!

"Best route to date" - Makes me want to join in in Sept but just too many things on the go for this year Sad Sad but I'll def be back for 2010 Very Happy Very Happy

I'll look forward to the stories at Billing...

PS Glad the Rangies sorted out cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally reconnoitre   Landy Rally reconnoitre Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Landy Rally reconnoitre
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next