Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Team dropouts LR`09

Go down 
+2
andybloke
Tom Mc
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Team dropouts LR`09 Empty
PostSubject: Team dropouts LR`09   Team dropouts LR`09 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 8:09 am

No, not a new team name, but a word about all the folk that for one reason or another have been forced to drop out leading up to LR`09. Well, it’s a classic case of good news, bad news. Let’s get the bad news out of the way first.

There have been loads of teams dropping out this year either due to work commitments, lack of work commitments (due to being made redundant), or quite simply ‘lack of funds’ … something we can all emphasise with these days. At the last count six teams have dropped out with another imminent, although I’m sworn to secrecy on this one.

And it hasn’t just affected the teams themselves. No less then three of the Officials have had to bow out this year – Event Manager Badger (Mark) & his better half Dr. Evil (Laura), Mechanical Support Crew Dom the Pirate and his partner/ace navigator Ali, plus Adam (formerly of Team “Slow ‘n’ Dirty” LR’08) and Firestarter Kieran in the Scout Vehicle. The ‘Credit Crunch’ has clearly affected us all.

Now at last, some good news. Every year loads of teams (or at least potential teams) drop out of Landy Rally. Amazingly, of teams who actually book, normally up to five teams drop out in the last month leading up to the start line, and in the course of an entire year there are upwards of 12 to 20 more potentials that “talk a good fight” but when it comes down to actually doing something about it, don’t “fight a good fight”. So this year as it happens is not much different in terms of teams dropping out at the eleventh hour. Okay, instead of 5 dropouts there will be 7, but in terms of the overall event, you won’t even notice the difference.

The significant change this year is that all the dropouts have over the course of 2009 been forum users, so whereas before only a couple have announced their non-participation, nobody even knew about the rest. They didn't even know they were in, let alone hear when they were out. This year everyone seems to be announcing their retirement! Technology eh? Without a forum nobody would be the wiser, but now the world knows about it before I do! That said, I really wouldn’t be without it. This forum has been so useful for folk staying in touch, helping each other out, and generally keeping teams involved and in touch. It really is excellent.

It’s also good news on the ‘Officials’ front. First off we have a new Event Manager for LR’09 – enter Kieran! cheers

Yes I know, he’s a liability near any type of vehicular or domestic wiring, but keep him away from any form of electricity and he’s ‘sound as a pound’. Mmmmm, perhaps that’s the wrong expression to use in the current economic climate? No

Seriously, logistics-wise he’s on really the ball. Certainly his summer stint in Wales helping run, and in many cases actually running outward-bound adventure courses, has done his credentials no harm whatsoever. Joined by fellow Landy nut James as his co-driver (some of you would have already met James at the LRO Show in Driffield this year), he’ll be taking up the reins from where Badger left off - that of ‘points marking/awarding/deducting’ and general logistics.

Yet more good news … Fred & Geoff (the Mechanical Support Crew who have been with us from the very start of Landy Rally) who were looking highly unlikely to attend this year, are now 100% on board! Because Fred couldn’t justify dragging 5 litres of petrol-slurping Rover V8 around the Alps and Pyrenees, Tango 1 has had to stand down this year … to be replaced by Geoff’s diesel Series IIA. Don’t knock it, his is a ‘go anywhere’ sort of motor and it has been. If truth be known I’m just delighted we haven’t lost F & G as that would have been a disaster. We still have mechanical support, I still have my drinking buddies. All’s well after all! cheers cheers

Believe me, with Kieran, James, my daughter Bonnie (aka Bo), Fred and Geoff all overseeing the event, we have more than enough knowledge and experience to cope with any eventuality.

So, all in all, it’s a case of ‘swings and roundabouts’, especially as two totally new teams have joined us in the last couple of weeks. I kid you not, who needs 'preperation time' anyway!

Not that it was ever in any doubt (I’ve always said I run the event even if there was only half a dozen teams), but Land Rally / Landy(ish) Rally 2009 are, as usual, well and truly on! cheers cheers cheers

Last edited by andybloke on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : un-stickied)
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Team dropouts LR`09   Team dropouts LR`09 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:03 am

I was starting to get worried then, Tom...

Last year I was really quite upset after we had to drop out - I'd bought a land rover especially for the event, had a driveway built so there was somewhere to park it, and Landy Rally 2008 was supposed to be our last adventure before having to calm down and do the family thing.

This year we're in no position to enter, really... Neither of us are working at the moment, we've got a 6 month old boy to look after, and we're counting the pennies all the time.

Because of this, we're determined to get to the start line this year!

Being out of work would drive me bonkers normally. It still does when it's raining, or I can't work outside for some other reason, but I can now not get as stressed about lack of time to get ready for the rally, and tinkering with the landy's superb therapy after dealing with the social rejects at the job centre (DWP need to rethink their own recruitment policy).

Having the baby with us is going to make it an even bigger adventure - we've got him a 4x5 foot map of Europe attached to a pinboard so we can put pins, string and photos on it for when he's older. The Disco's just passed its MoT, and is a lot of the way to being adapted for overlanding with a baby on board (fold-down nappy changing facilities, airtight used nappy storage, built in baby food cooler, DVD of his favorite TV show, nightlights, etc), we've tried out the tent in gales and downpours, bought the maps, and have started stocking up on supplies.

Don't get down, folks. It's gonna be great fun! (And nobody expects decent presents for christmas this year anyway)

Last edited by andybloke on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : tyop)
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Gutted   Team dropouts LR`09 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:33 am

Its a real shame that Dr.Evil and I will not be there this year. Looking forward to 2010 though if finances and circumstances get back on track.

Hoping you all have a brilliant time......Having worked with Kieran at "Jap 'n' Jeep Jam" I can certainly attest to his competance and unflappability under pressure.

Good Luck to all of you - if there was any way we could be there we would be there.....
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Team dropouts LR`09   Team dropouts LR`09 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 11:33 am

Cheers you two.

Notice I said - "new Event Manager for LR’09" rather than just "new Event Manager". Kieran's only too aware that you'll be back at some point Mark, but at what point exactly is solely in the lap of the Gods. Time will tell. Until then Kieran will quite compenently fill your boots 'til you return to the fold.

In fact just for something different, it might be fun next year if you and the evil one competed in your own right, leaving Kieran to a second stint or even handing over the baton to somebody else - who knows? Well, it's certainly an idea.

As for Andybloke, Hannah and Lucas, rather you than me. Never was a nappy-changer, so the very thought of 'that' on the move makes me reach. Fair play, but Yuk! pale
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Team dropouts LR`09   Team dropouts LR`09 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 11:43 am

I think Andybloke and Hanmah will have it easy - in LR07 we took both of our little offspring so really had our hands full!! Admitedly they were a bit older but given one was Kieran, well enough said Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Team dropouts LR`09   Team dropouts LR`09 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 11:52 am

One hand on the wheel, one reaching for the extinguisher. Can't have been easy. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Team dropouts LR`09   Team dropouts LR`09 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 pm

It has been rather a strange year getting ready for Landy Rally. First there are three vehicles going then a fortnight ago we were down to just Mr DD and myself as Adam had dropped out and Marc and Manda had dropped out. However now it seems as though all four of us will be going as Marc has decided to join Roadrunners and Pinky is currently undergoing I know not what on the drive. But I've not heard a shout for a fire extinguisher yet !

It is a shame that several teams have had to drop out as they all seemed to be so keen. But maybe we'll see you again on the next expedition.

Andybloke - don't forget to pack the team spray for those nappy moments !
affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Team dropouts LR`09   Team dropouts LR`09 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:39 pm

DONT PANIC MR MANNERING!!!

Kieran is outside as we speak re-wiring pinky for the next display of infernos cheers cheers cheers cheers :flower: lol!

Oh and yes ill be navvi/team dream :king: for Road Runners this year giving Mr DD (im sure thats mean to stand for ditch diver but double D's welcome haha, oops family forum!) affraid affraid

PS Tom Cheque will be in the post for you tomorrow morning if you need any details for me then make them up Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars

PostSubject: Re: Team dropouts LR`09   Team dropouts LR`09 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 5:40 pm

inferno's i hope not my fire extinguisher cost £1 Laughing
cheers Tom and Mark!

pinky just needs a clean out and abit of TLC but nothing too hard.

finanace for me ? what finance as the summer of leading people of which familys and prodimently drunken stag and hen partys around the coast line and sending them off any cliffs i could find Laughing, aswell as too build rafts, get through swaps, battle 10ft waves ( i have to admit on that particular day in the kayaks i was worried ) it was only a placement there for i had pretty much pre agreed only enough pay to keep me afloat for the duration of my stay in wales ( not much ), the bank hasnt and wont hit green before the rally:shock: for that reason it was i had to drop out as a team but im always up for the challenge of helping tom i mean pleasure Rolling Eyes Laughing
as it turns out, ive been asked to be an instructor on a army fitness and suvival weekend in south wales for 5 days ( just before the rally ) which means i will miss out on the pre celebrations but will get there for some point during the very early hours of the morning after in calais

if nothing changes with the army week i will need to either pick james up en route or ask for him to have a lift there with another team? he will have no kit with him as i will have it all on board.

i also could do with some yellow hammerite itf anyone has any?

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Team dropouts LR`09   Team dropouts LR`09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Quote :
pinky just needs a clean out and abit of TLC but nothing too hard.

Why is she in pieces again ?? Not been a good day really. James came for the day on Tuesday and is still trying to stop an oil leak. I think his family are about to send out a search party for him :cyclops: :cyclops:

Its a bit obvious that LR is getting close everything wants to go pear shaped and the only job I have until Sunday is to find the maps .....
Anyone seen them ??
lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Team dropouts LR`09   Team dropouts LR`09 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Team dropouts LR`09
Page 1 of 1