Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

European Breakdown Cover

Go down 
+3
Keith Johnson
JC
andybloke
7 posters
AuthorMessage
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

European Breakdown Cover Empty
PostSubject: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:29 am

...£98 from AA ?!?! affraid

First Call have annual cover for £77 though. Anyone tried them?

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
JC

JC

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2009-04-22

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:14 am

andybloke wrote:
...£98 from AA ?!?! affraid

First Call have annual cover for £77 though. Anyone tried them?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I took out cover for the Landy Rally period for an extra £22 with NFU. This covers us from 18th to 28th, although 'verbally' I was told we will get extra cover for this price for the week prior the event! Why they couldn't have put that in writing too is beyond me.

Stranger still, it would've cost me £20+ to add Potti to the insurance (fully comp) for the rally period and yet only £7 for the year! scratch
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:17 am

I've been having a look round for cover for Kieran. The main problem (for him at least) is the age of the vehicle most companies do not cover vehicles over 10 years old, although some do up to 15. You can always phone them for special quotes but none are anywhere near £77. I was thinking that the RAC is still prbably the best since they cover the driver rather than a specific vehicle. This is also useful if you have more than one vehicle that could go abroad in a year. The RAC is about £100 but you can get different levels of cover etc. Also we have called them out (as has Tom I beleive......) and if you don't let them take complete control you can get some useful help when you most need it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:21 am

JC wrote:
I took out cover for the Landy Rally period for an extra £22 with NFU.

Oh, yeah, NFU includes breakdown cover now, doesn't it! I shall phone them on Monday morning to ask about European cover!

Thankyou!
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:30 am

andybloke wrote:
JC wrote:
I took out cover for the Landy Rally period for an extra £22 with NFU.

Oh, yeah, NFU includes breakdown cover now, doesn't it! I shall phone them on Monday morning to ask about European cover!

Thankyou!

Yes it does. You're welcome. Tel: NFU 0800 282 652
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:11 pm

You cynic Andybloke ... they do! Well, it's not actually them of course, but a company affiliated to them like Green Flag or whoever. Deano for instance has just done exactly the same, got European breakdown cover via his insurance company. Believed he only paid £20ish for it as well. I may not be exact with the cost, but it was certainly below £30. I'll ask him to post on here with details.
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:57 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
You cynic Andybloke ... they do! Well, it's not actually them of course, but a company affiliated to them

I'm used to insurance companies doing insurance, and NFU only started doing breakdown cover recently (on my policy, at least)...

Will give the nice lady in Elland a call on Monday.
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-09-03

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 3:25 am

It is possible to extend the age of a vehicle on a European recovery plan at an extra premium cost.. However there are major snags.

1) If the recovery company decides that the cost of international recovery is more then the vehicle is worth then they will not recover it! You recover it to the UK then they will recover it from UK port to your home.

2) If the recovery firm decides that the accident was caused by offroad driving they will not recover you. Have a mishap on a tarmac road and land up in a field then that is an off road accident and hence not covered. Don't ask me how I know!

Be very careful about European cover if you have an older vehicle!

Regards

Brendan
Back to top Go down
Dean McGuigan

Dean McGuigan

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:29 am

I think my 1987 Classic would come under the older vehicle bracket but my insurers (Heritage) are great as they not only agreed that my Rangey is valued at £1000 but they ar'nt charging me a single penny for upgrading from a Rover 3528cc V8 to a TVR 4000cc engine as they said its little difference size wise, oh what little do they know!

My breakdown cover is through Heritage and costs £30 for a fully comprehensive breakdown policy which is valid for 8 months. The same policy with the AA costs approx £150. I have read somewhere on a similar driving experince forum that Heritage (who belong to Norton Insurance) will offer the same cover to non policy holding individuals but his needs to be follwed up and i can't see it being available at the same price as a policy holding customer.

Try and see what can be done might take a bit of finding but your two leads are Heritage and Norton Insurance for breakdown cover, if anyone has some luck please share the wealth- good luck!
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 2:35 am

All sorted. £35 from NFU.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 9:59 am

just sorted mine out, £75 told tell them what you need it for the give slight discount
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:28 pm

kieran wrote:
just sorted mine out, £75 told tell them what you need it for the give slight discount

Before he spent time in Wales, it was often possible to understand Kieran...
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:34 pm

andybloke wrote:
kieran wrote:

Before he spent time in Wales, it was often possible to understand Kieran...

Glad I'm not the only one who struggled with that! scratch
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Yep! scratch

Mind you, been hard to understand at the best of times. Just seems to have worse lately!Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 3:12 pm

You think you have problems understanding Kieran ??

Us parently things never have ! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: European Breakdown Cover   European Breakdown Cover Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

European Breakdown Cover
Page 1 of 1