Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go down 
+4
andybloke
theshortwayround
batfink
CarpeDiem
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 10:57 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

3x20L jerricans (used condition) £?

£8 (eight) Very Happy bounce bounce bounce

That's 60L of wine!, sorry diesel.

And, and; a multi-purpose spade/saw/axe in a small pouch type thing, £6.

Excellent!

Mind you, with wheels/tyres being a priority, and about 700-800, if you add an Engel about 300-400, and split charging system, ???. And the bill for the latest hiccup on my landys reliability.

I need to starting saving for actually travelling! Otherwise, a fully kitted-out landy, and no juice in the tank! No

Wishing you all well, Mark
Back to top Go down
batfink

batfink

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Ill have them after the last 3 days i need something to cheer me up? Sad Very Happy
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 3:43 pm

Wow, sounds a right haul!!

Where you been shopping, and is there any left??

i've not started looking at fridges yet, but didn't know they was that much! my split charge system cost about £20 though if that helps!!

any one else got any nice hints/tips/cheats for doing good stuff for nowt or not much? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 12:09 am

Hello,

Got these items at the local car boot. Very Happy

Still may be able to get an Engel, we'll see. If not, have to search ebay for a temp 12v one, though the draw on the wattage will be a lot.

Did you fit the split-charging system yourself? £20 sounds good.
Cheers, mark
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 4:23 am

wow, good car boot!

Halfrauds had a 45 ltr fridge / powered cool box for £99 reduced to £69 i tink the other day, might be worth a look.

Yeah fitted the split charge myself. took maybe half hour, then a further half hour to attampt it so i can now override when it's on and off, not just automatic.

Easy done, quite wordy to explain, but if you need, can do, or over the phone might be easier!

What batteries are you running?
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 10:09 am

Many thanks.

Though got this off another forum;

"Hi Mark ,,, Ive try ed a couple of cheepo fridges and my conclusion is ,, There all rubbish. Dont waste your money like i did and get yourself an Engal

Ive just got back from the North East coast and ive been running my 27 litre Engal at 5 C on a little scrap car battery i found at work for 4 days , and that's without a split charger. and it never missed a beat

But if you really dont want to spend the money just yet , i d get a 12 v cool box from a camping shop , cheapest one they do ,, get a spare 12v battery and run your cool box of it at night , and in the day, run it off your ciggy lighter connected to your engine battery"

Still a decent 35L Engel is around 400, we'll see. have to thinks about the tyres, do i really need new ones? Not really, the colways I have will be good enough for this year.

As for the battery, no idea, Landy still in garage, when it's out (hopefully for longer this time!) I'll let you know, though it is a heavy duty one.

Thanks again, and best regards, mark
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 11:44 am

Hi,

Thanks again, further to my last message, and your guidance;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servl...tcategoryrn_33951

It's only a fridge, but also consumes only 4.5 amps when on. What that actually means is ???

It's run by a Thermo Electric Solid State Heat Pump Sleep , and has a low battery cut-out, to help prevent a flat battery. And has a 1yr warranty.

Still in two minds, long term, certainly an Engel, but £££ at the moment.

Thanks again, and really appriecate your help,
Best regards,
Mark
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 1:12 pm

Hey Marc, look what i found!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Waeco-40ltr-Portable-Camping-Fridge-Gas-12v-240v_W0QQitemZ250122543843QQihZ015QQcategoryZ19296QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Waeco 40 litre fridge!! only slight snag is that it's £150.
Although Janet came up with a suggestion, we buy it, then we can rent space for others.....?

What do you think? I can loose £100 from my budget on it. i just gotta try and find another £50!! probably time to speak to some more prspective sponsers.....

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi,

Good news!

But I've already picked up a Thermos coolbox for £2, have to make do with that.

It looks a great fridge, but my limited knowledge says the same thing occurs on nearly all 12v fridges/coolboxes;

"230 V AC/50 Hz/100 W/0.43 A, 12 V DC/100 W/8.33 A"

These are the important figures are; 12 V DC/100 W/8.33 A

8.33 Amps, that's nearly twice as much as the Halfords one at 4.5 Amps, and way more than an Engel at 1.5/2.00 Amps.

If you have a good 100amp battery, with your fridge on overnight at 8.33 Amps per hour, after 12hrs, flat battery. You'll see on 230v, it's only 0.43A

Many thanks all the same, but I'll stick my basic one at moment, until I can afford an Engel.

Cheers, and I hope you preparations are going well.
Best regards,
Mark
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 2:27 pm

cool stuff!

Yeah i was thinking about the power rating, but as Tom said we're on pukker sites, thought would prob be able to plug in some nights and run from mains. then just switch off if engine not running, and no mains, will keep cool for a while.

have to have a think!!
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 3:05 pm

You could always run it on gas.

That would keep it really Cool.

Thanks again, mark
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 5:02 am

A lot of campsites have a freezer so visitors can put ice-packs, bottles of water, bricks, etc in over night. A couple of 1L pop bottles full of ice in a decent coolbox does a long weekend in the UK, and only costs a few quid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 9:42 am

Idea Brilliant! cheers
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 9:52 am

Yay, a simple answer!! - for now....
Back to top Go down
ardvark2345

Number of posts : 37

PostSubject: You read my mind   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:29 pm

I spent saturday looking in all the camping shops and anywhere else I could think of to find a 12v fridge for the boot......I never thought of Halfords! I will be going to buy one tomorrow, thanks for the tip, I did look at the expensive Engel etc but for that price I could buy new tyres...which I will be doing anyway so the Engel must wait.
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 9:24 am

Tell you what, when you get your halfords fridge, let us know whats it's like!
If it's any good, i'll probably get one as it seams the cheap option to the problem!!

Fingers Crossed.

New nickname for you, Offical Landy Rally Fridge tester!!
Back to top Go down
ardvark2345

PostSubject: Official landy rally test operative report   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 5:13 pm

I bought it today and will be testing it over the weekend, off to an airshow with my dad for fathers day. If the landy lasts that is, what with the smoke machine behind my air vents!

Ill let you know how it fares, but on first impressions it has a mass of space and looks a real bargain.

D
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi there, we have a Halfords fridge and it seems to work fine. The only strange thing is when you run it without the engine running it doesn't fire up until you start the engine. It runs it all night, I have tried it. There was a mates 110 parked up next to us at Eastnor so I knew I could get a jump start if needed.
It will be going with us on the Landy Rally, I hope the Disco electrics keep up with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 5:25 pm

Before I set off on the first Astra-breaking excercise, I purchased a 35 litre Halfords fridge (£99.99 'on offer' at minus £35.00 = £64.99)

It works okay in that it chills food/drink, but it's only a poor substitute for the real McCoy like Engal, etc. Put quite simply, if you can't afford £400 for the real deal, a Halfords bargain bucket it will do the job - just!

Remember though, it does draw heavily on the battery, so while it's fine on the move, when at the campsite and the engine's off it can run it down substantially. If it does it does, but no worry as there will be a host of jump leads, power-packs and tow ropes around so no problem.

Personally, as the Rangie has a slot for a second battery I shall take a spare - just in case.
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 5:41 pm

Yeah, i like the sound if that. halfords is def the bargin option, and it sound like it will do all we want it too, which is mainly keeping milk, bacon, cheese, water and beer cold.

If it has a mains option as well that would be great so we can plug in at campsites, as the car has mains facility on as well.

Also looking at the campsite details, it lookslike we'll be able to buy bread and stuff most days when needed, so should be fine, and doesn't need to be that big, as will only need a couple beers each ready for the evening, so they'll fit in fine!!
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 4:22 pm

ardvark2345 wrote:
I bought it today and will be testing it over the weekend, off to an airshow with my dad for fathers day. If the landy lasts that is, what with the smoke machine behind my air vents!

Ill let you know how it fares, but on first impressions it has a mass of space and looks a real bargain.

D

How are the Halfords fridges bearing up? Still not decided what to do about a fridge yet and funds becoming more limited.

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi there, the Halfords fridge seems just fine. Even when switched off at night the milk is still cool enough to not be nasty on the weetabangs. Can't fault it so far, as the camp sites will have hook up the fridges should never be without power.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 3:54 pm

Cool (literally!) Cool Cheers!

Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 4:59 am

Hi

We got our Halfords fridge yesterday and are currently testing it out in the living room - excellent beer store next to the telly! drunken

It was reduced further to £49.99 (from £99.99 then £64.99) and the mains adaptors have been reduced to £12.50 (from £26.99). Bargain! We're going to try it out next weekend when we go camping. :star:

Do you need to use ice packs, if you haven't got electricity overnight?

Back to top Go down
ardvark2345

PostSubject: Halfords cool box   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 9:09 am

The halfords bargain basement box has been great, we have taken it out on quite a few trips now and its can pack loads of food and drink in and it keeps it nice and cool.

Im glad I didn't splash out on a £400 box as my landy budget is going into the red fast.....diff and steer guards, CB next week, coolant leak and major service next week.......roll on the 15th!

Hope the rest of you are enjoying the run up to the trip and getting all the kit in as much as I am.

Dean
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Landy Rally :: Random stuff-
Jump to: