Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Digital cameras

Go down 
+3
theshortwayround
andybloke
Tom Mc
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Digital cameras Empty
PostSubject: Digital cameras   Digital cameras Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2007 4:46 am

Hey BJ, great avatar you have there, dead spit of you!

Thanks for the photo and pointing me in the right direction by the way. Came out well although you can't actully see the Landy Rally graphics (too small I suppose) but I'll update it as I learn about digital cameras.

So, to my question: About to buy a decent digital camera. In the £100 - £150 price range, I've narrowed it down to a choice between a slim Casio model which has a lithium battery (think it's called this - same as a mobile phone batt), and a fatter Fuji model which takes two regular AA batteries. Now, I realise the lithium lasts longer and you can recharge it over and over again, but what if your charger's broken or there's no power - you can miss those vital shots. Whereas although a fatter camera, you can get AA batteries anywhere in the world + they are now affordable (even over here places like Wilkinsons sell 6 Duracell AA for £2.49) I need to know your experiences with digital cameras.

BTW, both cameras include exactly the same functions/same lens/etc.

So folks, which do you reckon is best - slim and rechargeable or fatter with AA's?
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Digital cameras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital cameras   Digital cameras Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2007 7:09 am

Tom Mc wrote:

So folks, which do you reckon is best - slim and rechargeable or fatter with AA's?

Larger cameras tend to have better optics.
Maplin sell in-car chargers for NiMh AA batteries, too, so you can recharge while on the move, and buy alkalines when you're not.

p.s. CPC have 24 packs of Energiser for under a fiver at the moment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

Digital cameras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital cameras   Digital cameras Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2007 9:28 am

My Camera takes acouple of AA'a for that exact reason, you can always get them. You can buy lithium AAA with a charger for not much, and they last ages, and as andybloke says, you caneither get a car charger, or use a 150w inverter which is only about £30 to charge them.

If it's only that between the 2, then def go for the AA option.

And as always, does size really matter scratch tongue ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Digital cameras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital cameras   Digital cameras Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2007 11:21 am

Just to throw a spanner in the works...

Id spend around the £150 mark, log onto pixmania.com and buy a Sony camera with a Lithium-Ion battery.

Yes you can always get AA batteries but the Lithium-Ion ones last for ever once they are charged and if you get a Sony one the optics will run rings round most of the others of a similar price. Id also stay clear of the fuji ones, but thats just personal choice.

My camera is a Canon Digital SLR, that has a Lithium Ion battery and I have no problems with it, although admittedly I do have two batteries, just in case.

I have used many fuji, Sony, Canon point and shoot cameras. For the money, the Sony's win hands down. The Canon Ixus cameras are great but probably just a little over budget.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2007-03-01

Digital cameras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital cameras   Digital cameras Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 7:04 am

Fatter is better I say!!!!!!!!! (I've set myself up there for a right pasting off the mighty leader) GO FOR IT MCGOO!!!!!!!!! :elephant:
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Digital cameras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital cameras   Digital cameras Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 11:04 am

As if, you should know by now I wouldn't mock the afflicted. Bad enough being lumbered with all that useless lard all year around without me extracting the urine - talking about that 2 bob team you support, not the lard aound your waist! Twisted Evil

King of the Road Book study (don't believe all you read in forums)
Back to top Go down
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2007-03-01

Digital cameras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital cameras   Digital cameras Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 5:32 am

LOVE U2 HONEY X Wink
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

Digital cameras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital cameras   Digital cameras Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 1:55 pm

andybloke wrote:

p.s. CPC have 24 packs of Energiser for under a fiver at the moment.

CPC??

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Digital cameras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital cameras   Digital cameras Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2007 2:09 pm

My mates just brought this one;

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0441517634.1185133941@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddlhmffhkdcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=958218&category_oid=-24888

whether it's any good or not, don't know, I know even less about cameras, than Land Rovers. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Digital cameras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital cameras   Digital cameras Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Digital cameras
Page 1 of 1