Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2008 itinerary announced

Go down 
+4
bofa bill
Bling 'n' well up 4 it
Keith Johnson
Tom Mc
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

2008 itinerary announced Empty
PostSubject: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 1:54 pm

Big improvements to the itinerary this year. As good as it was last September, lessons learnt have resulted in a route that will see more off-roading for those who want it (and more options for those who don’t), plus the most scenic parts of the route will be driven in daylight. For instance, it was a crying shame that for many the stunning route into Andorra was undertaken at dusk or in the dark, with the majority of crews taking the tunnel instead of the favoured option of driving over the Col (mountain pass). The new route now allows for the Col to be driven in guaranteed daylight, plus I have a couple of other tasty treats in mind.

Remember the dust bowl in Spain I talked about in 2007? Well this time around everyone will have the opportunity to tackle this amazing wilderness. 40 miles of gentle but awesome terrain … heaven!

And still more! Do you recall the presenters of Top Gear driving a Porsche, Ferrari and an Aston Martin along what they described as the “best driving road in the world!” - the Stelvio Pass in Italy? Well we’re going there!!! ... PLUS drive a few more tracks in the process. I tell you, it will be amazing.

Given this road is further east than ever before, yet another opportunity is now possible. You know the strap line of Landy Rally / Bofa 4x4 Rally is 8 COUNTRIES IN 7 DAYS? Well, just to add a bit of spice to the proceedings, make that 10 COUNTRIES IN 7 DAYS!

Yep … TEN countries! Have a look at the new itinerary and you’ll see why:-

ITINEARY 2008

Saturday 13th September (DAY 1)
France (Start at Calais)

Sunday 14th September (DAY 2)
Spain, Andorra

Monday 15th September (DAY 3)
Andorra, France (Val d’Isére)

Tuesday 16th September (DAY 4)
France (Val d’Isére), Italy

Wednesday 17th September (DAY 5)
Italy

Thursday 18th September (DAY 6)
Italy, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany

Friday 19st September (DAY 7)
Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, France (Finish at Calais)

You've sussed it, the route this year is being run anti-clockwise. Intriguing eh? Basically the entire event all hinges on the first day. Instead of leaving at noon with a slow, traffic-clogged run down to Luxembourg for the first night's stopover, the idea is we hit the autoroute down past Le Mans towards Biaritz to cover as much ground as possible on Day One. By getting this boring motorway bit out of the way early on - and with it gaining virtually a whole day right at the beginning - the itineary thereafter slots into place perfectly. A cunning plan indeed!

Thanks BTW to Dom the Pirate for popping over the other day to help plan this new itinerary. Trust me, you’re gonna love it!

Last edited by Tom Mc on Tue May 20, 2008 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 2:06 pm

sounds brilliant cheers

what will the distance be or will it still be 2300 miles?

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Impressed   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 2:10 pm

It sounds good - I only hope Lenny manages more than the first day ......
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 3:01 pm

A tad more I reckon, but we'll know more after I carry out the reconnoitre in June.

It'll make it Keith, even if Fred has to haul it around the final 2,299 miles! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Fantastic..........can't wait until Sept!! bounce

Fed up watching that particular episode of Top Gear as everytime my son switches on the telly it's straight to channel "Dave" to see Top Gear from morning to night!! The road does look amazing though!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.4chas.com
bofa bill

bofa bill

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 5:40 pm

AWSOME.

10 countries?
what aboot the scots, welsh and the engerlish teams?
Bleedin eck, 11, 12 and 13 countires in how many days?

bring it oan
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
Mel_f

Mel_f

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-09-02

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 2:01 am

Hi Tom,

Looks good, glad to see the 1st day is nice and gentle, just to get us into the idea of the Rally affraid affraid

Mel
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:13 am

Fantastic...

Whats the arrangements Tom for booking in. Can this be done on the previous night to save valuable driving time in the morning, or is it a 6am registration, 9am depart??
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:41 am

Good question. I had already decided to bring forward the start to 10am, and that was merely travelling the anti-clockwise route like last year heading down to Luxembourg. Now we are heading southwest to Spain, I think your suggestion of 9am and majority of the Registration the night before makes good sense (first time for everything eh Jon Laughing )

Why not? I am sure folk would rather have more time on the road than twiddling their thumbs on the start line. The only down side is that whereas the noon start last year meant that if teams couldn't get away from work on Friday, it meant they could still get the ferry/tunnel early on Saturday and still make the start. This was my original thinking - to keep Landy Rally a 'week off work event'.

Hey ho, can't please all the people I suppose. Reckon starting Saturday at 9am and high mileage on the first day HAS to be the way to go.

Last edited by Tom Mc on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:47 am

Of course starting Saturday won't effect the Sheltie Vikings team. As they have an additional 650+ miles to cover down from the Shetland Isles just to reach Dover, they'll most likely be on the road from Thursday! Dedicated or what? cheers
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 am

Tom,
Cant write too much now... The brain is starting to fuzz after having 2 good ideas in quick succession!!!

However, I reckon most people will look to make the Friday evening ferries if it means getting off the start line a few hours earlier on the Saturday.

Kieren, Better start getting the Red Bull's and Pro+ in now... It'll be a long first day for you jocolor
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 9:51 am

what facilities are ther at the start?

Camp
shower?

long drive be good to awake refresheed with a comfy SSS
and running water for the 'Andrews and Asprin members
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 10:24 am

Our camp site (with showers, shaves, s ......... ) is all of about 10 seconds drive from the start line, the start line is outside a cafe which opens early especially for us so we can have coffee and nibbles. Couldn't get any closer to facilities if we tried!

Me, I have breakfast on the move - two Anadin and I'm right as rain!
Back to top Go down
Monstar - Sylvia

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-09-25

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 5:29 pm

I'm looking forward to doing all the good bits in daylight this time. We missed half of the French/Italian Alps last time as we left Val d'Isere at 6.30 am. After running out of some oil that I'm told makes the transfer box work we missed nearly all of Switzerland in daylight and Andorra ?? well my memory was o a very dark and slightly foggy trip into the country!

This is always provided Lenny will behave himself. He's just passed his MOT so thats a good sign !

Look forward to seeing you all again

P.S. Tom does the campsite in Calais still insist on making the emergency abandon ship announcements all night long ?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi Sylvia – That’s the idea. Tackling the route anti-clockwise with an early start on Day One, everything else fall neatly into place. As you say, you’ll be able to see the Alps this time around. cheers

Thought you knew, there's a proven antidote for 'emergency abandon ship announcements' the Froggie's sell in almost every shop - cognac! Take a high enough dosage and I guarantee you’ll sleep through a ship’s fog horn sounding off 10ft away!!! drunken
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 3:18 am

Monstar - Sylvia wrote:
This is always provided Lenny will behave himself. He's just passed his MOT so thats a good sign !

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news but the MOT only suggests that it wont fall apart. No guarantee of reliability. Still, all that said, so long as you can keep the oil, water and Diesel in the right places that Tdi will go anywhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Quote :
Kieren, Better start getting the Red Bull's and Pro+ in now... It'll be a long first day for you

funny you should say that as i have the owner of the local indian restuarants saying he will sponsor me in red rooster ( a good energy drink ) better take a trailer with a porter loo Rolling Eyes Laughing

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 1:26 pm

looking forward to the 8 countries in the last two days Laughing cheers affraid
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 1:45 pm

Must just say if comes to either boat keeping Sylvia awake or the other way round, I know which one I'd put my money on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 1:50 pm

You wait until you see the dust bowl. Not saying we will do 40 miles like I unintentionally did, but it'll long enough and long smooth enough for everyone to tackle. Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 2:28 pm

kieran wrote:
Quote :
Kieren, Better start getting the Red Bull's and Pro+ in now... It'll be a long first day for you

funny you should say that as i have the owner of the local indian restuarants saying he will sponsor me in red rooster ( a good energy drink ) better take a trailer with a porter loo Rolling Eyes Laughing

cheers kieran

You dont need a portaloo - there's plenty of holes in a Defender floor pan!!
pale
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 3:51 pm

Tom Mc wrote:

Thought you knew, there's a proven antidote for 'emergency abandon ship announcements' the Froggie's sell in almost every shop - cognac! Take a high enough dosage and I guarantee you’ll sleep through a ship’s fog horn sounding off 10ft away!!! drunken

Nice thought - I don't think the team driver will let me sleep it off the next day though. I think as there's only the two of us in our team I'm going to have to do some navigating to get us through France!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 itinerary announced   2008 itinerary announced Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2008 itinerary announced
Page 1 of 1