Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Landrovers and Wine!............

Go down 
+6
batfink
kaya
Tom Mc
Badger
VentureOverland
CarpeDiem
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Landrovers and Wine!............ Empty
PostSubject: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2007 11:54 am

RELAX!

You can all take it easy!

Team “Landrovers and Wine” have now entered!

You have your; split charging systems, winches, solar charging panels, refrigeration equipment, coil springs WITH extra lift, spare wheels, air con, bidet, GPS, intercoolers and air compressors, etc.

So much equipment to take, so I think it’s important to only take the essentials, so a full wine rack, and corkscrew! Very Happy

Joking, me! Of course, I’ve a list the size of Posh Spices trip down Rodeo Drive! Careful, and grateful guidance from the likes of Tom Mc, Jon from Venture Overland, Keith Gott Landrovers, Captain Chaos, and many, many others.
Genuine thanks to you all!

So what do we have, a Camel? No, a snail! A series 111 lwb safari, YES, YES, I know, she’s not the fastest, most comfortable or the best prepared for off-roading. But, she is clean, rust-free and mechanically sound (touch wood). I’m an organizer/planner by nature (stop yawning!), so the trip for me started one month ago, in getting together lists of what to take, increasing my limited knowledge in 4x4 driving/landrover mechanics/first aid and understanding my landy.

Look forward to seeing you all on the Landyrally, from behind probably!

www.landroversandwine.com is an amateur (me) site put together, just for the fun of it. It would have been finished by now, but too much wine-tasting going on! Chateau Tour Bellegrave, don’t you just love claret!

Anyway for those of you still awake, BON VOYAGE!

And roll on September! cheers
Best regards,
Mark
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2007 1:43 pm

If you need any bottles of white chilling Mark - I'll keep them safe for you... so long as there's room around the bits of cow and saussages (in the fridge of course)!!

Have you started spending money on your wish / requirements list yet?

If I can do Blighty to Timbuktu in an old series, Im sure you'll be OK. From experience though you may need to get an early start if there are hills en-route!!!

As for your spares list, unless youv'e just done them, I'd suggest head gasket, clutch master & slave cylinders, a gallon of EP90 and a squeezy bottle with long delivery tube so you can 'easily' refill the gearbox oil; oh and a spare throttle return spring. Or perhaps you have the one that doesnt leak!! If need be, most of the rest can be sourced or bodged en-route.
I cant recommend Richard at beamends highly enough for spare parts.
http://www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for your generous help, again.

Yes, done most of my list, divided into 4 sections, but won't starting buying stuff until June onwards. A few things to cover first.

Thanks agin, and best regards, mark
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:16 am

hello and welcome from team monstar Laughing

your landy sounds very nice Very Happy look forward to meeting you

kieran
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 12:41 pm

Thanks Team Monstar,

Likewise, I look forward to meeting you all.

Best regards,
Mark
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Welcome on board as they say!   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 6:56 am

Welcome welcome welcome - I have always been a fan of fitting two throttle retun springs right from the off! it can make the accelerator a little difficult to press but only ffor those that are not used to agricultural machinery.

I look forward to seeing your website and will be happy to add a link to it from the main landyrally website when it is up and running.

Cheers
Badger
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 9:41 am

Hi Badger,

Good to hear from you, and I like your canny observations. Thank you also for your comments.

Best regards,
Mark
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Website up!.........   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 12:01 am

Hello,

Yes, the website's up. Doesn't look much, it goes show you, knowledge and artistic flair, are 2 things I don't have. lol!

cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 4:54 am

Good start to your website. I'll talk about it more when I have time (just about to shoot out) but one thing has to be said from the off ...

The product name Land Rover is/are TWO seperate words, not one. The only time folk use the term Landrover is when they are trying to get around Land Rover's strict copyright policy i.e Fred's Backstreet Landrover Co.

PLEASE CHANGE IT - IT DRIVES ME MAD Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 8:43 am

Arh!

Well done Tom, I was wondering when somebody would spot that! Embarassed

I did say it was an amateur site, Very Happy . Maybe too much wine tasting, they say you can drink 21 units a weeks, my mate says that's the limit, not a target! Embarassed

Anyway, corrected. Any further observations, all are welcome.

Best regards,
Mark
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 10:53 am

I've observed that you haven't sent out any wine for me to taste Sad
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 11:02 am

Shocked you didn't receive it! Can't rely on anyone these days!

Cheers anyway, drunken
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 12:09 pm

For a total amateur, great start to your website Mark. Sent you an email about the Feedback box. Can you post on here the comment I left? I thought it was amusing at the time, though I really can't remember through the femented-grape induced haze!

Then again, it's proabably not worth repeating and could be altogether embarassing Embarassed
Back to top Go down
kaya

kaya

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 6:55 am

Hello to the Landrovers and Wine. Good Luck for the oldest car on the Rally.
Regards, Kaya
Back to top Go down
http://www.chiusino.info
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 10:13 am

Hello Kaya,

Thank you! But I believe a Series 11a has entered.

Hope to see you in September, we'll be the early starters, to get the hills!

cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 3:36 pm

By the sound of it, your crews will have the biggest hangovers drunken drunken drunken

A thought - nobody's entered any supercharged Range Rover Sports yet, 'cause if they do these hares will be able to sleep in, set off at midday and still pass the Series tortoises! BUT, that's where my cunning plan kicks in, you could have a Bugatti Veron or McLaren F1 GTR and it wouldn't matter a jot as speed is not going to win anything on this event. Cunning indeed.
Back to top Go down
batfink

batfink

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 2:02 pm

Ahoy there people.I should think i will be one of the early starters to as the old batalac is powerd by steem well a 2.5 n/a diesel Sleep Also welcome abord good to see the site has come alive.Im Fred. Team SELSEY SHARKS. Cool
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 2:10 pm

Hi Fred,

Welcome! Good to see another 2.5D in the event, you'll be in good, albeit hungover, company!

Best of luck, and see you in September.
Best regards, Mark
Back to top Go down
TonySLROC

TonySLROC

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-04-20

PostSubject: Hi all   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi all and welcome, I notice that its starting to get quite busy on the forum it just makes me realise time is ticking on and i am now looking forward to meeting you all in september.

Regards

Tony :farao:
Back to top Go down
http://www.totalsolution.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 5:09 am

Quote :

‘WINE CONVERSATION’ TRANSFERRED FROM ANOTHER SECTION OF THE FORUM:-

TOM: Sounds as if he needs a good Claret to lubricate his bores, something you can help with Mark. What do you recommend?

Talking of Claret, Tesco do their own el cheapo version (at around the £3 mark of what I remember) which ain't half bad. Feedback please CD.

Carpe Diem: £3 claret!

Like everything else, you get what you pay for, or do you? There is Claret for £3, and there is Claret for £??? a bottle.

First of all what is Claret? Tasty! Well, yes, claret is actually English for red Bordeaux wines, from Claret.

You can get the very good claret Château Fontcaille Bellevue 2004, for about £7, or even a Cru Classé claret for about £20. I even managed to pick up a Margaux for under £20, , only 6 you understand, and they are for research purposes, though they won't be at their best until 2010 and onwards. So I'll have to wait, as if!

Of course if you want to splash out; try a Château Léoville-Barton 2000, but at about £100, don't spill any!

Personally, I just drink what i like, but you won't go wrong with a Bordeaux red even for £3, or a white Burgundy (some very nice Chablis out at the moment).

2005, this is a very good year for French wine. And where's our starting point? Yes, France!

I propose some gentle shopping aisle ling in a local store, along with a fun game, how many cases of wine can fit into a 109?

Answers on a full case of wine, to be sent to my home address, thank you!

Thanks for the in-depth essay on Claret, although me being a total numpty when it comes to wine will stick to the £3 section! Still I'm learning (in part due to your excellent tutorials) so may even take a stab at a £4 bottle from time to time.

As for shopping in France, must relate a story I myself witnessed back in the 70’s, way before wine became fashionable in this country –

Always remember a big hypermarket in Calais (think it was Mammoth) that had all the excited Brits lining the bottom of their empty trolleys with wine as soon as they walked in the door. They would then do all their food shopping, filling the trolleys to the brim before heading to the tills. Just before the checkout at the very end of the last aisle was another wine section, only this time it was ¼ the price of the section by the entrance. Why? Well the previous strategically-placed wine display contained good quality wines – Chablis, Vouvray and the like (although it still seemed inexpensive to us) – while the last section contained all the cheap table wines with foil tops which were dirt cheap.

Picture the scene … realising they had been stitched up, Brits galore unloading a mountain of groceries on the floor, off-loading the now ‘expensive’ wine from aisle No.1 to replace it with gallons of gut-rot local plonk from aisle No.28 (which the French often water down as an everyday drink with meals even for breakfast) – then re-fill the trolley again with all the food purchases! Absolute pandemonium!!! So funny to see though, that’s ‘wine ignorance’ if ever I’ve seen it. As for the hypermarket, how many other Brits couldn’t be bothered to go through all that upheaval just to save a few £’s so went ahead and paid anyway; racketing up the store’s profits in the process! Ironically, little did the buyers of the good wines know they were the lucky ones, as scarred for life, the cheapskates have probably never touched another bottle of wine ever again! pale

It seems “ignorance is not always bliss”.
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 8:18 am

Hi Tom,

Great story! Brits abroad, don't you love them.............

Recently spent 3yrs on the Costa Del Sol, thankfully not everywhere were there firsh & chips, Prince of Wales/London/Red lion pubs, bingo nights........

Best regards, Mark
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 2:32 pm

Hello all,

Thank you again for your help, and comments, truly grateful.

So she's back, and sounding very sweet, and with a new MOT! Very Happy

Maybe it was a waterway blockage, or the head gasket not seating properly, who knows, but now drives very, very nice, and stays on the "N" even in heavy traffic.

So here's the mains things that have been renewed/changed;

Cylinder head (complete i.e. valves, stems, rods, hot spots etc)
Head/water pump/thermostat etc gaskets
Fan and shroud
Radiator
Temp sender
Glow plugs
Thermostat
Rad hoses
Fan belt

and various bit and pieces.

So driving her around gently for a couple hundred miles, and enjoying it.

All the best, Mark
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 2:18 am

Sweet.

Sounds like she'll be running on tune for a good while again Mark. Just feel sorry for the the hole its left in your wallet!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 4:50 pm

Hi there, I am so pleased that there are other LR models taking part beside Discoverys. More Series the better. cheers
Must admit though I lurve sunny my 200tdi Disco
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 9:13 am

Yeah, ilove my Disco, but i do miss the series... Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Landrovers and Wine!............
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next