Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Landrovers and Wine!............

Go down 
+6
batfink
kaya
Tom Mc
Badger
VentureOverland
CarpeDiem
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi,

Talking about holes in the wallet. Rolling Eyes

One of tyres only just passed the MOT, was going to buy 1 anyway, so I could have 2 spares, got the best price for 2 tyres, any p&p, fitting etc. About £140.

And then, a friendly mechanic says if you want some AT's, I've got 5 new ones, brought them, never used them, do you want them? And I'll fit to your rims free for you!

scratch How much? £360, could do without that like a hole in the head or wallet, but could also save a lot of hassle, so slept on it, and decided OK.

So now in procession of 5 General Grabber AT2's on O/E rims, just got to get them balanced and put on.

Must really start saving! I'm going to take some collection boxes, so I can rattle them on route, and procure wine when we stop.

All the best, and yes, see you next month.
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 9:31 am

Wow that was bit of luck, although still money better off i nthe pocket, but even so, good one!

Just over a moneth to go, getting close now!!

Maybe see you Sunday if your still around....
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 10:47 am

Hi,

Look forward to it.

Re; tyres, yes, colway MTs are great, but not for what I want, so even forking out £140, would only fill a gap until I got more £££ in my pocket for BFG ATs.

But these came up, and although a newish tyre, i.e. not much written about testing on them, what I have read, seems only positive.

There goes the Margaux, Chablis and Chateauneuf du Pape, here comes Tom's £3 claret. cheers

See you on Sunday, all the best, mark
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 2:54 pm

I'll have you know Tesco's 'everyday' Claret is okay ... after the 2nd bottle. drunken Shocked drunken Shocked
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 10:26 pm

lol! cheers Tom
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 2:15 pm

Never mind all that poncy elitist-named Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Château Léoville-Barton and Margaux (wasn’t she in The Good Life?) my recommendation is Shiraz 2006 – wine of South Eastern Australia. Not even a producer’s name, just a variety of grape, that’s confidence!

Try it … 14% of pure heaven! Lidl supermarket @ a mere £2.99 a bottle. A great wine and great value!!! Now try telling me my new-found tipple is inferior to that over-rated, over-priced French plonk you sup. Hic! geek

Seriously Mark … TRY IT! bounce
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 11:41 pm

Hi Tom,

Yes, probably tried it. Brought a couple of mixed "mystery" cases of oz wine just after xmas.

Shiraz; Aussies have got this grape right, Holroyd Farm Shiraz 2005, I drunk recently, HIC, lovely stuff.

Aussies have got a lot of good wines, and a huge surplus at the moment, that's why pubs/shops etc are pushing them, more £££ profit.

The wine clubs/wholesalers do good offers on cases of Aussie wines, especially "mystery" cases, you'll could even get a very good bottle or 2, trown in. tongue

cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 3:21 am

'ere Mark, hadn't you better think about setting off now to get a head start? That way you may get to the start line by the 15th! Razz
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 9:15 am

scratch :suspect: jocolor Razz
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 12:16 pm

We're back home.

Outstanding event, really had a great time meeting all of you.

Many thanks to the Pukka Posse for staying with us.

2008! Bring it on!

info@landroversandwine.com
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 1:56 pm

Landrovers and Wine series 3 - fasters S3 in the world! i had it clocked at 117 kph, and it was easily keeping pace with the 6 Discoverys it was running with on all but the stieep hills.

Excellent stuff.

Cheers

:arrow:
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 12:41 am

Many, many thanks again to all those people I met, and allowed me to pick their brains. cheers to you all!

She's just had a checkover and service, a few things done, but no loss of fluids scratch is she a Landrover?

Anyway; a few more items brought that were needed, and I'm off again, unfortunately not until mid Nov, but for 3 weeks and following some of the LandyRally route, which I hope to see in daylight this time Smile

Best of luck to you all!
Mark

Ps. may see some of you at Sodbury.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 3:36 am

hello,
good luck with the trip,
look forward to the photos from day light Laughing

definatly is the fastest S3 in the world Laughing

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 10:44 am

Don't forget to visit at least one of those Italian wineries in the Aosta Valley, they are supposed to be extremely good wines. And if you do, please convey my/our thanks to the Ville d'Osta campsite on the hill down from Col St. Grand Bernardo - their welcome was a highlight of the event, especially for BJ/Andybloke who came back late, Monstar who were even later (or was it the opposite way around???) and Fred who instead of drinking himself under the table, drunk himself under his Landy, kipping as he did UNDER his 'little beast' along with a pillowful of smelly cheese from the bar.

Can't think who placed said cheese on his pillow under his nose, but I did get my cumuppence. Funniest thing was a choice between (a) him waking in the morning to a lump of runny, pudrid cheese welded to his ear, or (b) the fact I had lent him my pillow in the first place, so Fred had returned it (stinking cheese ‘n’ all) by stashing it somewhere within the Rangie so it wasn’t until Rafe and I had hit the road did the pong become apparent and unbearable! Oh happy days. Cheers Fred!!!!
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 2:22 pm

Laughing

Cheers Tom

Ps. have to go next year, just to catch up on those campfire stories. Smile
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 9:56 am

Cheers Kieran, I must confess the 117kph was not only downhill, but probably, also wind-assisted. Smile

Tom; yes, thats one of the routes re-covered, and probably at the same campsite, just because I know it's there.

cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 4:48 am

The gearbox went 2nd time round in Poitiers, in November! Rolling Eyes

Decision time! Sell her? And get a 110 200/300 TDI? Would have to be a truck cab, or a expedition prepared one, so I'm able sleep inside, when needed. Also thinking of the cost of a carnet. scratch study

Some people say "a discovery is a thinking man's defender", not sure what one of those is! I mean a thinking man, not a Discovery. Smile

Personally I liken it anything that isn't a Series/Defender to the England football team. They wear the badge, but don't have the passion! Razz Or the draughts, sorry I mean, "progressive airflow circulation system"! Smile

So did a long list of pros and cons, and decided to do the best for the old girl and me, she's currently now having an original brand new Series 111 gearbox (yes, you read it right, didn't think it possible to get hold of one)and clutch assembly fitted. I'm not married so I don't have to explain myself. Smile

Merry Christmas to one and all. New Year? New Countries to travel to! cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 12:06 am

GOOD! - can't see you with a 110. As you say, no passion! Yes it costs, but what's money for except to spend on gearboxes and suchlike. At the end of the day, women cost a lot more to run than a Land Rover ... I'm joking Miss Daisy / Lu / etc. tongue Every bloke know he can't do without one - a Land Rover of course!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 1:08 pm

Ere, Mark - Check out Tinto Tempranillo wine from the Navarra region of Northern Spain (Pamplona basically). It's gorgeous!!! No tanning, full-bodied but not to heavy ... wonderful slurp!

You know all these TV experts and dinner party wine-snobs come out with all this boll ............ sorry family forum, they spout all this garbage about the wine's bouquet smelling like raspberries, melons, a rugby player’s jock-strap and the like? Well, as I poured a glass of this Navarra wine (the brand being called "Lerin") an aroma wafted up from the glass that did indeed smell of raspberries or blackcurrants or something fruity!!! After this I've swirled it round the glass and blow me down, it was a smell of berries and not just red wine. I'M CONVERTED! Maybe I could be the next James May and keep necking wines with Oz until my brain cells are so frazzled that I’ll go along with anything the wine ponce says! Opps, the is 13% kicking in … time for din dins. Speak later. drunken
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 3:15 pm

lol! cheers

Tempranillo is the the main grape of Rioja, lovely! tongue
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Learn something new every day! Normally avoid Spanish wine, but this has altered my view somewhat. In fact it was so good, only had half the bottle while browsing the forum and swapped to a glass of white with din dins, that way I can savour it all over again tonight! tongue

Sorry to be brief on the dog 'n' bone tonight, but an almighty queue had built up with the motorcross bods leaving site so I had to get back and sort them out. No rest for the wicked. Wink
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 1:21 pm

Cheers Tom, hope you were successful.

As mentioned, I'm unlikey to take part in this year's LandyRally, at least not with the Series. Actually planning a trip to Africa in early October, looking to travel down to Timbucto.

Hope to get down to Matchams on the 16th, if I don't see you at Oxley Shaw.

cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 6:40 pm

Like the sound of going down to Timbuktu. That's the one thing I regret about my Sahara jaunt in the Paris-Dakar, we didn't have time to visit the 'lost city'. Never know Mark, could be heading down that way myself - fancy making it a twosome/threesome/foursome ... safety in numbers an' all that?
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 7:14 pm

MMMM London Crystal Palace - Timbucktoooooooo bounce

thats sounds awsome. pirat

is it possibuble ?? cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
CarpeDiem

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Yeah, why not, the more the merrier. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Landrovers and Wine!............   Landrovers and Wine!............ - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Landrovers and Wine!............
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next