Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Food

Go down 
+6
Captain Chaos
Tom Mc
Badger
bofa bill
andybloke
paul
10 posters
AuthorMessage
paul

paul

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Food Empty
PostSubject: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 5:08 am

Hey this will prob seem like a silly question but we have just bought a fridge for the disco and we are debating how much if any food we should take. bounce

I know we are not going to the middle of nowhere but where we stay are there shops and stuff to buy food close buy, other wise we will be taking alot with us
lol!
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 9:28 am

paul wrote:
Hey this will prob seem like a silly question but we have just bought a fridge for the disco and we are debating how much if any food we should take. bounce

I know we are not going to the middle of nowhere but where we stay are there shops and stuff to buy food close buy, other wise we will be taking alot with us
lol!

You can't use the fridge for milk or meat from the UK to France.... Save fuel, leave it turned off until France.

You'll find a supermarket next to the market square between the campsite and the cafe in calais (leave camp site, turn left, over bridge, shops and market). You will probably need the fridge the most (for food) during the first couple of days, as Europe closes on Sundays.
Stock up on cans of drink at Boozers in Calais (cheap out of date pop, and they take Sterling).
A supply of "instant" food may be a good idea for late nights / early mornings, and local bread and fruit goes down well at the adhoc picnics along the way.

I doubt you'll go for more than 36 hours without passing a supermarket. Some of the campsites had small shops, or a short walk into town was all it took. If you can't stop for a supermarket, there's food you can prepare in a truck at most of the larger services.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
bofa bill

bofa bill

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 10:26 am

From experiance always have a couple of meals each in reserve.
I.E. cook in bag or tins of ready meals type of thing.
This covers a few areas.
If yer late in finishing one day then dig into the ready made scran and remember to restock ASAP.
if ye get stranded and awaiting recovery etc then you haiv yer food prep'd and ready so ye willnae starve.
I find it best to buy packs of 6 x 2ltr bots of water as that way they stay air tight till open and if ye keep one in fridge, nice and cool for those dry trax.
Also, keep yer emergency packs/boxs in a seperate place in car.
1 days rations for ye both
First aid
contact details
foto copies of essential docs.

stock up as said above by Andy tho.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Food Empty
PostSubject: food - yummy yummy   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:58 pm

last year a couple of meals ended up being "super noodles". Not quite sure why they call them super though....but they sure fill a hole at midnight!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 3:26 pm

Can't beat filling a hole at midnight! I do seem to be in a devilishly naughty mood tonight. Twisted Evil

My suggestion for a quick ready meal (mentioned on here before actually) - a big tin of French cassoulet. If I recall, it consists of haricot beans - similar to baked beans only they have a particular taste all of their own - with lumps of pork belly and two types of sausage. VERY tasty, filling and oh so easy to prepare. Just heat and serve with a crusty baguette. Mmmmmm!!!! Available in all French supermarkets and general food shops.

In answer to your question, as suggested always have a couple of standby meals on board just in case, but generally in the evening decent food at good prices are available at most of the campsites.

In addition, whenever possible make certain you stock up on fresh bread. This coupled with some ham, cheese and a few tomatoes are great for a nosh on the move. Also in France and a lot of Continental countries, they sell slices of hot pizza in bakeries much in the same way we have suasage rolls and pasties. However, these are not dried up wedges of stale pizza, these are big trays of very deep, full of flavour pizzas they cut up into rectangular slabs. Inexpensive, quick and tasty ... just like me really! Laughing

Last edited by Tom Mc on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2007-03-01

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 3:33 pm

And at the open air market in Calais!! One between two is plenty tho!
Oh, and it makes Tom f**t so stay upwind of him after Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 3:38 pm

Bloody hell, they were big!

The meal was good on the ferry too. Lamb shank, nice! Cheap too, especially if you forget to pay like yours truly. Naughty boy!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Lizzytish

Lizzytish

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 3:44 pm

Yeah, gotta be honest, the food thing has concerned me a bit. It's different for Loncbt and myself....we'll kinda make do with whatever....but because we've got the 2 young uns with us, I want to make sure we have things that we can do quickly and easily for them. Rhys will eat Pot Noodles, Super Noodles, any noodles! Liv will eat pasta shapes, ravioli, macaroni cheese so I suppose a few of each will need to be packed. Oh and they LOVE chocolate too Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.swporc.co.uk
bofa bill

bofa bill

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 3:55 pm

so why is it a concern then sexy?

ye haiv jist telt us whit yer daing and thats seems fine.

Oh aye, I forgot ye always doubt everything and ask the same thing a doz times.

anon
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 3:59 pm

I always remember years ago when on a Morocco trip my mate Wayne & I bought several catering-sized tins of grub from Macro - about the size of three large tins of pineapple chunks. Can't recall exactly what they were, but think they were Irish stew, lamb hot pot, beef casserole, that sort of thing. Again, very tasty and very easy as they are all-in-one what with their meat and veg. Chilli con carne or curry is also a possibility, either by boiling up some rice or even simpler, a tin of boiled spuds added to the pot.

Then there is ready-made spag bol with a pot of pasta, the possibilities are endless. They key is simplicity with as little washing up as possible, that's why the on site cafe is even better - IF you make it in time! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lizzytish

Lizzytish

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 4:01 pm

bofa bill wrote:
so why is it a concern then sexy?

ye haiv jist telt us whit yer daing and thats seems fine.

Oh aye, I forgot ye always doubt everything and ask the same thing a doz times.

anon

I was SHARING!!!! Sharing my innermost thoughts and concerns.....baring my soul!!!!!!!!!!!!! Won't do it again with you....huh! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 4:14 pm

I want my pint glass back that ye hid BEFORE Tom and Kieran came roon to the fire and spoiled it.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 4:21 pm

That's why you were slurring, drinking pints of gold watch!
Back to top Go down
Lizzytish

Lizzytish

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 4:35 pm

Don't buy rabbit in France and the leave it in your coolbox for 3-4 days until you get to Val D'Isere, and then blame each other for smelling quite weird like the Bushpigs did! lol! Or buy Port Salut and stink the car out and never hear the end of it - like I did! :pig:

We had fresh bread with cheese spread daily - another co-driver job - those maps came in useful as plates! study

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 2:07 pm

I can't say much more, we were saved by the goodness of other teams one night when we arrived to late for the camp resturant. One big pot, with beans and sausages, more beans, tinned potatoes and lumps of bread,. Just a few tins in case of emergency. You will be able to restock on route.
Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
bofa bill

bofa bill

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 4:11 pm

aye but with yer size nae team missed what ye ate.

and do you buy the wee tins beans?

anon
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Food Empty
PostSubject: Kierans tip   Food Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 10:26 am

We thought it would be a great idea last year to have some fresh meat all that protein etc. Thats why we bought about a kilo of horse meat somewhere in France. It took a few days before Sylvia was hungry enough to try it by which time it had grown hooves and was about to gallop off. This approach solved loads of problems - Sylvia didn't eat for a few days before we opened it then the smell meant that none of us was hungry for the rest of the week.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Sponsored content

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food
Page 1 of 1