Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

meet lenny

Go down 
+7
Keith Johnson
VentureOverland
CarpeDiem
apd2009
theshortwayround
andybloke
Lu and Tweedie
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 4:04 pm

meet lenny Dsc00010

in true land rover style drove it back from lincoln with a card board box under the flasher so we had headlights Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 4:35 pm

Excellent! Is Pinky still around too? :pig:

Lu and T :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 2:34 am

Yay!

I nearly bought a landy lastnight, too. Was outbid at the last minute, though. hannaH's not happy with me for trying to spend £1400.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 4:41 am

Laughing your not spost to tell her how much it costs

yh pinky is still around, me and her have a special connection Laughing

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 5:20 am

Nice, glad to see you've seen the light with the Discovery....

So come on then, some details....
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 10:35 am

meet lenny Dsc00011

here is the best picture i have of it so far,

it is pretty much factory standard, has a decent roof rack, 200tdi, done about 160,000 miles runs sweet
electrics so far are poo Laughing

and my mum can actually get in it Laughing

has a tape player with an am/fm/ whatever else changer button on the dashboard, i have never seen anything like this before, and i was shocked that its sound system actually works and is decent, when we got it the guy said central locking did not work and he couldnt work out why ( there seemed to be blu tack on each locking stick thing on the doors) Laughing

advice needed from all you disco folk on what the best mods are to start with, how much does it need a fuel tank guard its at the back? what tyres are best for a disco ? keep the alloys or get steel wheels? rock sliders? how about a yellow bull bar Laughing

theres a horrible rust hole on the drivers side of the vehicle where the roof joins the back wing next to the back door what do we do about that?

will be getting a steering guard thats saved my wallte about four times now Laughing not bad for a freebie

oh yh and spot lights that are simular to the head lights in the way that they are not wired up, and head light guards

i have seen the light and stayed with the mighty the trusted OH no its on fire, pinky cheers Laughing

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
apd2009

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-03-23

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 10:47 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you should of brought a Nissan affraid Twisted Evil Andy
Back to top Go down

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 12:00 pm

a what a nnnnnissy what what have not heard of such a thing explain .... Laughing
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 11:45 pm

Smile very nice Kieran!

Now your the perfect person to ask!

Do you get more acknowledgement driving Pinkie or the Disco?
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 1:45 am

CarpeDiem wrote:
Smile

Do you get more acknowledgement driving Pinkie or the Disco?

Got to be Pinky!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Registration date : 2007-02-19

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 1:58 am

Congratulations - Obviously a true LR man - 2 cars that dont work properly... Excellent!

kieran wrote:

advice needed from all you disco folk on what the best mods are to start with, how much does it need a fuel tank guard its at the back? what tyres are best for a disco ? keep the alloys or get steel wheels? rock sliders? how about a yellow bull bar Laughing

Fuel Tank guard - I know lots of people that dont have them and quite a few that do. Id suggest that it isnt at the top of your shopping list.

Tyres - BFG AT's are my choice. Good handling, stopping and offroad ability. Someone else will advise on the largest size you can get away with without reverting to a camel cut.

Wheels - Id be looking for a set of Disco 1 Steels. Just about cheap enough to be free if your lucky.

Rock Sliders - Definately worthwhile if you intend to do much in the way of mildly entertaining off-roading.

Yellow Bull-Bar - Of course highly illegal in the PC days... But its got to be done, purely for photographic reasons!!

kieran wrote:

theres a horrible rust hole on the drivers side of the vehicle where the roof joins the back wing next to the back door what do we do about that?

Option 1:
Drive as fast as you can so you cant see it!!
Option 2:
Paint the brown bits white!

kieran wrote:

will be getting a steering guard thats saved my wallte about four times now

Good idea.

kieran wrote:

oh yh and spot lights that are simular to the head lights in the way that they are not wired up, and head light guards

Nothing changes there then... Id say its a nice bit of homework for you now its dark early!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 4:22 am

you would be right the jon, i get looked at a lot more than we did on the way home from buying it.

funny you should say that about the disco steel wheels i have been offerd 3 of the for free just need one more now Laughing

its my dads shopping list Laughing im just the person there to help out with this landy,

i have a spare set of 10 spoke wheels around the side of the house i just tried on of those on it and it looked really good but i want to put those back on pinky when i get the money for some tyres.

i thought i had got rid of my annoying starting problem on pinky it magically disapeard after put a new injector bolt on, but the disco is displaying exacly the same symptoms Shocked
bit of gaffa tape for the rust would be my first choice lol!

its my turn to return all of the help my dad gave me with pinky, at least im now not stuck on christmas pesents for him Laughing

thanks jon!
please keep the helpful advice coming geek

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 2:32 pm

Thanks Jon, as you can see Kieran is about 10 steps in front of me. First plan is to have a good look round in daylight and make it legal, lights in particular. We seem to have acquired some steel wheels from someone in Mud Club. so I guess new tyres will be a start. Any suggestions for replacement bumpers - I dont think a winch is necessary but it does need more ground clearance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 5:16 pm

I took the plastic bumper off and treated it to a black thing called a wheelie bin, then pulled the steel front bumper off my 1983 Range Rover Classic and it went straight on. Gives more ground clearance, without any girlie plastic bits and looks mean too.

We put 235 / 85 on 16R, but needed a 2" lift and had to chop some of the rear wheel arches out. I think 'What stays on tour' had to make his rock sliders shorter too, as they were catching on the bigger tyres.

To delock your passenger door, swap it for a rear door handle, which stops kids trying to pop your lock!!!!

T :bom:
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 5:22 pm

I've got a rust patch in the same place!!

Make sure you take the plastic sill covers off, because they harbour dirt and moisture, which makes a good home for tin worm!

T :bom:
Back to top Go down

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 2:45 am

i never herd of tin worm before, what is it? :?:

cheers kieran Laughing
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Preparations started   meet lenny Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2007 6:26 am

Spent some time looking at Lenny this morning. The headlight problem no issue - just a wire off at the switch. It is a bit more corroded than I had first thought but it seems fairly superficial. At least I won't mind scratching it. Kieran and I picked up some more steel wheels the other night so I can have an on-road set and an off-road set. Just need the tyres now. I'll If you/re interested in progress I will try to keep our website updated wwww.johnsonhq.net.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 4:58 am

I refer m'lud to my post in the forum some time back, in fact it was when Kieran wanted some new tyres for Pinky.

Quote :
I have a set of Technic Amazon Mud Terrains on the RR, they came with the vehicle. Even though they are a very open pattern, they are truly amazing on the road (NO rumble whatsoever), great on wet roads (amazing), corner very well indeed (don't drift at all - feels as if the RR will tip before they would break away) and stop on a sixpence (5p to you Kieran). As for off-road, the Mud Run at Manby held no fears. Went for it at first full blast, but gradually realised I could get slower and slower and didn't need the momentum at all. Mind you, we are talking about a B8 RR Classic here, not some oil-burning Disco or Defender. Class will always tell, the RR being the best all-round 4x4 on the planet!

Trouble is I don't know where they can be purchased, not that I've looked of course. It may be very easy. Would recommend them to anybody.

Of course all this fell on deaf ears as he promptly went out and purchased those noisy rumbling things "that sound like an aircraft taking off" he likes so much. If you want quiet, go for the Amazons - a LOT cheaper than BFG's as well!
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 12:00 pm

kieran wrote:
i never herd of tin worm before, what is it? :?:

cheers kieran Laughing

Sorry mate, just referring to rust!!!! scratch

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 4:25 am

Thought I would thank everyone for their help. The lift is now done though some jobs remain. The biggest issue was the brake pipes I've been to Paddock three times now and they gave me the right flexi's for my chassis No then some for ABS and then the original ones back with female pipe unions to try to get rid of me (my words not theirs). I still appear to have flexi's with male ones and can not get them to fit. However it took quite so much effort to drop the axle low enough to fit the springs witghout stretching the pipes that I doubt whether they are really necessary. Also darkness meant that the bump stops will go on at later date. I also failed on the rear dislocation cones as there just isn't space to slide the bolt in - Kieran is pleased about this as they are easier to fit on his so he had an extra Xmas present.

We went on our first expedition to Derbyshire the other day .....
meet lenny Lenny_10

All went well and nothing dropped off - mission accomplished - now the snorkel....

Last edited by on Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 6:24 pm

Snorkel? That means wading. Don't forget that if the Disco's anything like the Rangie, you'll have a box of tricks (believe they call it an ECU) under the driver's seat to worry about when the door seals give up and let in a torrent of river-water!

Opps!!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 3:49 am

I don,t think they do boxes of tricks on mine - I purposely went for a 200TDI which I hope is only a bit more sophisticated than the James Watt invention. The only thing I have seen under any seat so far is 10 year old chewing gum etc, Mind you I havent looked that enthusiastically yet.
Back to top Go down
rooftop

rooftop

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-06-24

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 6:49 am

HI MR FIX IT AND A HAPPY NEWYEAR TO ALL LANDYRALLYERS ive recently fitted a sett of QTs rear lower dislocation cones easy to fit as only the spring needs to be bolted up on the mount and better relocation properties. used them at kirton off road site did a good job. hope to see everyone in future maybe at driffield show we have a stand there. doncaster district lrc. Should be on forum abit more now as no 2 pestering to do next years event so why not . ps how do i insert images to this thing dough! jocolor santa
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Registration date : 2007-12-12

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 8:15 am

Quote :
as no 2 pestering to do next years event so why not . ps how do i insert images to this thing dough!

have ye hosted yer foto?
If so then the code will be ther just to copy n' paste on here.
If no.....
Type meet lenny  insert foto properties code here

or click once on the img box above

any probs send me the foto and I will sort it for you.

cheers

wills
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
rooftop

rooftop

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-06-24

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 10:47 am

thanks lenny will take photos to lunch, then av a nother go hope im a good host Very Happy :clown:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

meet lenny Empty
PostSubject: Re: meet lenny   meet lenny Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

meet lenny
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next