Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Go down 
+10
Lu and Tweedie
evo4x4
Lizzytish
Lady V
Keith Johnson
loncbt
VentureOverland
tpb4x4
bofa bill
Tom Mc
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Empty
PostSubject: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:08 am

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Tragic news I’m afraid: I have been asked by Chris, partner & co-driver of one of the teams entered in Landy Rally 2008, to make the following official announcement:-

It is with the deepest regret that I have to announce the death of Paul Martins d’Almeida (61) of Winchester , Hampshire. Owner of a Land Rover Defender entered in Landy Rally`08 under the team name of “Pink People”, Paul died in a motorcycle accident in Spain last week. I am sure I speak for all the officials and teams associated with Landy Rally in expressing our heartfelt condolences to his all family and friends.

For those teams who were lucky enough to have met Paul and Chris at the LRM Billing Land Rover Show in July this year, you’ll know exactly what a lovely couple they were, and just how much he/they were looking forward to taking part in LR`08. Raising funds and awareness for their chosen charity Practical Action, they like everyone else were in the middle of making their final preparations when tragedy stuck.

I tell you, although I’m devastated for Chris as I’m sure we all are, having spoken to her a short time ago it became immediately apparent that Paul would of wanted us to carry on in exactly the same vein. A biker for many years it was obvious that Paul lived life to the full, it was ‘his time’ to leave us, he went out on a high exercising one of his greatest passions - something I suppose we would all like to do given the choice! I mention this for a particular reason, because I believe the life of such a person should be celebrated rather than mourned.

Over to you, I’ve said enough …
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:14 am

Crickey........................

I like your last paragraph Tom.
ACE...........

Just how I want to be 'celebrated also'

Never met them but thoughts are certainly ther.......Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
tpb4x4

tpb4x4

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:56 am

Sorry to hear the tragic news, TeamTAFF's thgts are with all the family & friends

"I believe the life of such a person should be celebrated rather than mourned." - couldn't agree more!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mac4x4challenge.co.uk
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 4:30 am

Having known Paul for only 6 or 8 months or so I can honestly say he left a great impression on me. I remember a little line he said to me over a beer - "Life is for living and this great world is for exploring... Be it on 2 wheels or 4". Classic words from a classic gent.

Obviously he will be sadly missed by his family and close friends but also to those like ourselves that had only just begun to get to know him.

I can whole heartedly agree that his life should be celebrated and not mourned. I remember having a long conversation in a Winchester pub a few months ago with him... He was full of stories about his past biking adventures and how he was looking forward to his planned trips in the Landy with Chris.

Only a week or so ago he was talking about his immediate work plans and then how he was looking forward to LandyRally and his future Landy Travels.

Bless the great man and may he rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 4:58 am

i only met him once and he left a great impression on me then, he will be sadly missed by us all here! our thoughts go with his family and closer friends
Back to top Go down
loncbt

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 5:54 am

Deeply saddend by this news Team SW Porc's thoughts are with the family Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.swporc.co.uk
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 6:18 am

While I agree with Tom's sentiments, I think we all to some extent, though obviously in particular his close family and friends, will feel great saddness at the loss. Our thoughts are with them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Lady V

Lady V

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 7:36 am

I am devastated to hear this tragic news and my thoughts are with Chris at this very sad time.

Paul and I had been in regular contact over the last few months as we'd both chosen Practical Action as our charity for the Rally. I feel the loss of both a team mate and a friend.

Paul had a great "joie de vivre" and in the few months that I knew him, he inspired me with his adventures - stories from the past and plans for the future. I was looking forward to sinking a few beers with him on the Rally, as I'm sure we all were. In many ways, he will be greatly missed.
Back to top Go down
Lizzytish

Lizzytish

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 am

Am really sorry to hear the sad news, thoughts and sympathy to his family and friends.
Back to top Go down
tpb4x4

tpb4x4

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:28 am

How about, as a mark of respect, we have a 1 minute silence at the start and possibly a collection that can be passed to the family? - just thgt I'd ask and see what people think..
Back to top Go down
http://www.mac4x4challenge.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 12:22 pm

A minute's silence perhaps, and only perhaps as there are plenty of other things we can do to show our respect, but definitely not a collection (my personal opnion).

But good to ask the question. Any other ideas?
Back to top Go down
evo4x4

evo4x4

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-06-25

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 1:03 pm

Such sad news.

I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Paul. Clearly someone who had impact.

My thoughts and condolences go to his family, friends and colleagues.

Tom - I know early days but given the sounds of the type of guy he was would naming a Landy Rally 'Spirit of the Event' after him be somewhere in the direction of being appropriate; it would, of course, need endorsement from his family.

Given words written in earlier posts and his enjoyment of 2 and 4 wheels, Paul sounds the sort of guy who would befit the ethos of the award.

Keith
Back to top Go down
http://www.croatianholidays.eu
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 1:42 pm

A great idea Keith, that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping the teams would come up with. I do like that a lot as, well, as you say, his love of adventure would befit the ethos of the award ... perfectly. Nice one!
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:28 pm

We're really sad to hear about Paul's death. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Lu and T
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
The Lamb Chops

The Lamb Chops

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Very very sad news. Our sympathy and thoughts go out to his family and friends
Back to top Go down
loncbt

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:37 pm

Tom,

Perhaps as a mark of respect every team must carry a "Pink People" sticker somewhere on their truck.

If we agree i'll sort the stickers out Free
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 5:00 pm

i agree with the award idea, and also think the sticker is a good idea!!,
loncbt, i can sort a free supplier of the stickers if you dont have one

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Lady V

Lady V

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 5:28 am

Practical Action do a press search on a daily basis and the results today included this article on Pauls death:

http://www.thisishampshire.net/news/hampshirenews/display.var.2440072.0.motorcyclist_dies_in_spain.php
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 2:55 pm

Thanks for the link Lady V. The local paper got it spot on for the content was like actually talking to Chris (his partner). When I phoned the other night about the t-shirt sizes, she said then she feared the worst. Next morning she heard heard the awful news; so sad.

Thanks also to loncbt and Kieran about the pink tribute stickers. Don't want to be seen as passing the buck, but can I ask you gents to sort something out between you re. these stickers as I am really up against it now time-wise. If anyone has any specific designs in mind, why not PM loncbt or Kieran?

To add my ideas into the melting pot, how about a circular sticker which includes the words -

Landy Rally`08
Team Pink People
... celebrating the adventurous life of Paul Martins d’Almeida 1946-2008

Once Landy Rally`08 is in Papyrus script and it's all centralised (I obviously I can't do here by way of an example), it could look okay. As for colours I would suggest a shocking pink font - ideally with a white border to the lettering - on a jet black gloss background.

Any other ideas? Whatever we do though we'll have to get a move on - we are rapidly running out of time!

BTW, the Spirit of the Event idea has been implemented.
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 3:08 pm

I don't beleive I met the guy, maybe I have at a show or event or something but he sounds like my sort of guy.

Very sad news, but it does bring it all home to us.ONE LIFE LIVE IT
It sounds as if he did. What we must remeber, we pass this way only once, we must make sure we live each day as if it is our last.

So go on you lot, just make sure you have a good time on the 2008 Landy Rally. I will see you next year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 3:35 pm

Agree 100% Paul. The more I think about it, that ONE LIFE LIVE IT motto makes more and more sense, and what I've seen and heard about Paul, he did.
Back to top Go down
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 3:50 pm

My deepest sympathy to Chris and the rest of Paul's family. I had not had the pleasure of meeting Paul but have heard Kieran talk about him after Billing.

Perhaps by asking for a donation for the stickers, the money raised could be given to the Practical Action Charity ?

Just a random idea.
Back to top Go down
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 4:16 pm

I'm just back from a business trip to Northern Ireland and I'm shocked to hear about Paul. I met him at Billing and I have to say he was an absolute gentleman. It's all been said before in this thread but our deepest sympathy goes out to Chris and to his family. I'm sure he will be sadly missed.

Award and stickers a fantastic idea, if k or Loncht need any help with the stickers etc I'll help if I can.

It's been mentioned about what we could do and I for one would put a proposal forward that every team who is raising money for charity could donate some of the monies they have collected to Paul and Chris's just giving page. One of Pauls last goals was to raise £3000 for Practical Action through Landy Rally, couldn't we help one of his last goals to be achieved in his absence? I for one would be happy to start it with a donation of £50 to their just giving page from money we have collected.

This wouldn't be a collection as mentioned in an earlier post but a way of Landy Rally helping one of his last goals to be achieved. Paul and Chris are currently sitting at £555 being raised. http://www.justgiving.com/pinkpeople

Any thoughts....

D
Back to top Go down
http://www.4chas.com

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 6:06 pm

i like it bling, i think maybe a collection at abingdon supported by all the landy / bofa teams would be a good way of getting closer to this goal

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Lady V

Lady V

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:51 am

We'll definately carry any memorial/celebratory sticker that is produced and the suggested design from Tom sounds ideal. Will you boys get them done in time? We can always put them on at the start line....

We're also raising money for Practical Action (I work for them as my day job) so I can provide any leaflets etc about their work to support with a collection at Abingdon - just let me know what you need.

Lady V
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT   IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next