Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What after LandyRally?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rafe

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-08-27

What after LandyRally? Empty
PostSubject: What after LandyRally?   What after LandyRally? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 9:25 am

Hi to those that remember me from LandyRally 07 & those that haven't a clue who I am.

Really sorry not to be joining you all on LR 08, especially so when I found out Badger needed a co-driver Sad

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone was going to be at a loose end the week after LandyRally and yearning more adventure?

I'm doing another charity cycle ride and we're a van driver down at present. This time it's 190 miles in two days, along the west coast of Ireland from Cork to Galway. There's around 75 riders in total and after the ride we're having a couple of days in Galway (where the Guiness & Oyster festival happens to be taking place).

Basically the van leaves London on Tuesday 23rd and heads up to Birkenhead to overnight it to Dublin, arriving early Wednesday for the drive down to Cork. Vans will be coming back on the Sunday night ferry, arriving early (6ish) Birkenhead Monday morning. There will be a diversion via Oxfordshire each way to collect/return some bikes. Hotels etc would be covered, it'd just cost them beer money.

Everyone on the ride is raising money for the same charity, www.o2e.org, which raises a lot of money (the 32 riders on the London to Paris ride last year raised a whopping £50,000 between them for just that event) for disabled children.

I know it's a long shot, but I thought I'd ask! Best of luck to you all on LR 08!

Rafe
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What after LandyRally?   What after LandyRally? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Hi mate ... good to hear from you cheers 'ow yer doin? I was just about to volunteer myself until I saw the dates. Unfortunately it clashes with Abingdon 4x4 Festival and the launch of the Landy Rally Club - of which you happen to be one of the founder members!

It's not to be on this ocassion, but you know you're always welcome at any Landy Rally bash. Take care, hope you get your driver and all goes well for you on the ride itself.

BTW, for those who are unaware, Rafe dug me out of the smelly stuff last year by becoming my co-driver at the eleventh hour, that's why I'm delighted he's called in to say hello.

Hold on, thinking about that van support-driver role some more, I've just realised he's seen my driving so I probably wouldn't qualify for their van anyway! Razz
Back to top Go down
Rafe

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-08-27

PostSubject: Re: What after LandyRally?   What after LandyRally? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 4:36 pm

I'm well, but not really fit enough to do 190 miles in two days under pedal-power!

Even more upset that bike ride clashes with Abingdon 4x4 than I am about not being able to be Badger's co-driver. I've been to all but one Abingdon 4x4 show and marshalled at last years. It's a fantastic event and raises money for a damn good cause (even though it shouldn't have to - air ambulances shouldn't be charities).

Tom - Just seeing your driving would have been fine. It was experiencing it first hand that still gives me nightmares Wink White-knuckle ride aside, I'm pleased to have been involved in LR 07 and really do hope everyone has a great time. I'll be there in spirit (no Tom, not that sort of spirit) so raise a glass to me when you're all enjoying yourselves Smile

Fingers crossed I've found us a van driver - he drives a 1956 Series 1 as a daily drive so he's not all bad. But he needs to get leave rubber-stamped by work on Monday, so if anyone else is interested do still shout in case he can't get the time off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What after LandyRally?   What after LandyRally? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:09 pm

Quote :
air ambulances shouldn't be charities
couldnt disagree more with that Laughing

i said the same thing you said to the guy at our local air ambulance and he was glad they were a charity for the simple reason that if the government paid for them then they would want control and that would mean cut backs meaning there would be so many less air ambulances out there than what there are, KEEP THEM FLYING, keep them ours

( although the government should pay some towards them like giving them free fuel or somthing )

good luck on your bike trek, i remember my 70 mile 2 day bike trek from mansfield to skegness and that was far enough for me
hope you do well and raise lots and lots of cash

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What after LandyRally?   What after LandyRally? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What after LandyRally?
Page 1 of 1