Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help Needed from AndyBloke...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Help Needed from AndyBloke... Empty
PostSubject: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 3:47 am

Andybloke,
I need your automotive electronics expertise!!!

We spoke over the weekend about noise induced into my AV system from the ecu and you suggested a noise filtered power supply....

Ive had a look on the cpc and maplin websites and I havent a clue what Im looking for (not enough of a clue to order something with anyway). Any chance you could give me a part number so I can get ordered and finally lay the high-pitched whine to rest!!?!?!?!?! It absolutely did my head in driving home last night.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 4:07 am

Just another thought Andybloke...

I noticed last night when I had the radio on (7" LCD panel with Radio and integrated 45W amp, mounted in the standard dash mount), when I turned the spot lights on the whine got louder.

A pair of 3mm^2 cables run along the bulkhead behind the radio. Do I need to filter the +12v to the radio or the sound lines coming into the amp?

The +12v feed for the stereo runs in among several cables which come from the battery box, along the chassis rail, up the engine side of the bulkhead, accross bulkhead and inside the car behind the instrument cluster and then behind the dash to the radio. The spotlight wires continue to the passenger door pillar and then outside to the roofrack.
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 5:03 am

VentureOverland wrote:
when I turned the spot lights on the whine got louder.

A pair of 3mm^2 cables run along the bulkhead behind the radio. Do I need to filter the +12v to the radio or the sound lines coming into the amp?

Does it run from a second battery? Is the noise still there when the split charger is not connecting the battery to the alternator? Does the whine change pitch with engine speed?

The alternator will probably be the souce of the noise, and it will be louder with the spots on because a) there will be more load on the alternator, but mainly b) the magnetic field around the spot light wiring will be stronger and noisy when the lights are on.

I've had success with CPC part CP03285 (Altai B070D) 10A noise supressors, which are about a fiver. (Yelow wire to battery, red to radio, black to a good ground).
Connect it as close to the radio/amplifier as possible, and if there is room in the dash, keep the head power and other wiring apart (more important for heaver load wire, like spots, accessory sockets, etc).

Audio connections (RCA / Phono) are very succeptible to noise pickup. If you're using RCA interconnects between sources and the amplifier, they could be picking up noise. A quick way to check is to unplug one of the two leads from the source end (i.e. not the amp end) and see if you get a much louder whine in one speaker. Usually fitting better cables, or moving them away from other wires will reduce the noise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 5:22 am

Andybloke thanks for the reply.

All spots, stereo, aux power feeds etc come from second battery. Split charge system does not have any affect on noise.

Whine noise does increase with engine speed.

I will disconnect the sound lead from PC to amp at the PC end and see what happens.

I am using RCA connectors at the Amp end...

Diagnosing time at the weekend me thinks....

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 9:13 am

:?: :?: :?: A couple of Dutchmen have invaded the board, and beween them they are speaking ... :?: :?: :?:
Back to top Go down
apd2009

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: andybloke   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 9:53 am

Oy Stavros its all Greek to me matey peeps Rolling Eyes Embarassed Sleep lol!
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 10:03 am

apd2009 wrote:
Oy Stavros its all Greek to me matey peeps Rolling Eyes Embarassed Sleep lol!

It's Svoronos, not Stavros!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 10:44 am

Ohhhhhh, I've just clicked. There was I thinking that surely APD got the spelling right - it WAS 'Stavros' who was the kebab-seller on Channel 4's Saturday Live show, then I realised 'Svoronos' is Andybloke's surname.

Bit too subtle for us lot Andybloke! It went way over my head and I'm the one with the entry forms in front of me. Besides, your English is slightly better than Stavros' - just!!! Although, now you're here, can I have a large donner with extra pickled chillies? Cheers!
Back to top Go down
apd2009

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 2:25 pm

and what's the internet for???????????????? drunken tongue
Back to top Go down
4x4Bun

4x4Bun

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 4:44 pm

NORP!!

cheers lol! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 4:48 pm

Twisted Evil I have the power! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
apd2009

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 5:12 pm

sand wot's Monday affraid bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed from AndyBloke...   Help Needed from AndyBloke... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help Needed from AndyBloke...
Page 1 of 1