Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oops...Poor Pinky

Go down 
+4
VentureOverland
The slow & dirty gang
Keith Johnson
Crazy~Johno
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 5:40 am

Oops...Poor Pinky Dsc00510

Oops...Poor Pinky Dsc00511

Oops...Poor Pinky Dsc00512
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 6:33 am

Thought you might like to see some of the other pics - I particularly like the one of the bullbars being struck by a bolt of lightning.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f73/11/83/61/65/dscf3813.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f73/11/83/61/65/dscf3814.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f73/11/83/61/65/dscf3815.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
The slow & dirty gang

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 6:35 am

whats up with Pinky???
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 11:45 am

Whats wrong? Must be serious - Even past bonfires haven't needed a recovery truck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 2:04 pm

timing belt snapped,
quite annoying as this weekend was the first time i have used wading plugs,
i found out this morning that timing belt was 8 years old

i took a day away from landy related things today, i was spost to be green laning with andy, number 1 from 2007

Crying or Very sad

wonder how much damage has been done confused

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 2:43 pm

kieran wrote:
timing belt snapped

Ouch!

Driving fast? High revs? Hope it's okay.

Did spot a TDI200 on ebay with a few hours left and only up to £10 earlier!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 3:10 pm

got a link?

i was just pulling out of buxton after picking some stuff up from uni and giving my shoulders a rest from the drive back from liverpool where the power steering pump stopped working so i effectivly have no power steering either, i think pinkys ready for abit of TLC, i was changing from 3rd to fourth gear, driving at a average pace not quick or high revs

on a electrical note the hazard warning lights amazed me as they carried on working for over an hour,
although after the water the spotlights now dont come on with main beam scratch

we are going to strip it down and see what damage has been done tomorrow

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 4:02 pm

kieran wrote:
got a link?

Sorry, can't find it now.

Quote :

although after the water the spotlights now dont come on with main beam scratch

Do they work with the override switch? If not, reset the circuit breakers - they wouldn't like being under water Smile If mainbeam doesn't work either, replace the fuse.

Quote :

we are going to strip it down and see what damage has been done tomorrow

Best of luck. Hope it's not fatal.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Opps indeed. Wouldn't catch me drowning my vehicle. Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Back to top Go down

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 6:09 pm

Laughing

no idea whats wrong with the headlights the only explination i can think of is its pinky,
when one side is on main beam the others on dip and when there spost to be on dip its one on main and one on dip scratch
all very strange except they were perfect before the water lol lol!
maybe they just need re earthing?

the circuit breakers did their job, they flipped, i reset them and after that they wouldnt work with main beam but they do work with the override switch

not sure if there are any known signs that a timing belt is about to go but ive been thinking about it and theres one thing i did notice in the 100 miles before it went which was that when it was on tick over it has recently been uneven and it did gradually get worse but i guess the main problem was in the 50 miles before it went i was driving solid, i stopped at uni but it didnt get chance to tick over much for me to notice

also the song men at work - land down under is bad for land rovers, it was playing when i slid off the road into the farmers wall a couple of weeks ago and then again it was on the radio last night when the belt went Laughing

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 4:03 am

Simple explanation - the brilliant song "Land Down Under" by Men at Work can't be played under 1,000 decibels, so when cranked up one's brain cells get frazzled causing loss of concentration when farmer's walls jump out at you, and there isn't a hope in hell you're gonna hear the engine over the music.

It's a no brainer!!! geek
Back to top Go down

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 7:53 am

lol! lol!

just bad timing i was thinking,

started stripping bits off, found the intercooler to be full of mud so full it ways a ton, i may well fit the standard size uprated intercooler at some point when the shopping list grows abit smaller

so far on the shoppoing list is a new timing belt and a new power steering pump,

struggling to get the vicous fan off any one know how?

hmmmm
finnished for today as marc needs a suit for a job interview and its still frozen solid outside
and im at work tonight untill midnight, on the bright side at least i wont be delivery driving

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 9:15 am

Quote :

Hammer! Correction ... BIG hammer!

Come on mate, 'bout time you give Pinky the Last Rites and concentrate on fitting an LPG kit to that Rangie you and James bought recently, spray it dayglo orange, fit a 5.7 Chevy motor, fit a Cheery Bomb for a soundtrack to die for, then you'll have a real head-turner for the girls! bounce

knew the last 10 words would get your attention! Razz
Back to top Go down

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 9:37 am

when pinkys done it will hopefully be good for a long while to come ( providing the clunk isnt the transfer box )

NEVER BUY FROM SHARDLOW LANDROVERS i blame everything on them Laughing although pinly left their murderous hands 8 years ago its still all their fault i just gotta find some proof first Laughing

id love a rangie that worked but that was spost to be my project for next week all depends on how much damage the timing belt has done, today we managed a total of two bolts as one was in so tight and us rounding it off probley didnt help but even when we got it turning it was still incredibly tight all untill the last couple of turns, we also got the viscous fan off and the water pump which is warn out so will need replacing, and the main bolt out of the centre of the bottom pulley ( any ideas what we need to do to take that off? big hammer didnt work on this one Sad must need a bigger one Laughing )
hopefully be done by sunday then i can work next week and earn some cash and then head up to yorkshire for the weekend and then over to the rangie and revision for my exams

cant sell pinky tom Surprised Shocked not an option, would be daft seeing as it''ll be pretty decent soon as weve replaced just about everything Laughing its abit like triggers brush

no joy with the leds andy scratch put int he chip both ways round and couldnt get them to work

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 9:47 am

kieran wrote:
no joy with the leds andy scratch put int he chip both ways round and couldnt get them to work

affraid

When you put it in the other way around, did it get red-hot and smoke?

If it didn't, it's not getting power.

If it did, you just fried a perfectly good microprocessor by plugging it in the wrong way around! No
Back to top Go down

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 9:59 am

no smoke perhaps its not getting power then, ill have a look next time i get chance

cheers
kieran
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 1:27 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Opps indeed. Wouldn't catch me drowning my vehicle. Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Wouldn't catch me driving through 2 landy rally's and countless other thousands of miles over the last 2+ years on an unknown timing belt :bom:

Hope theres no damage.
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 1:39 pm

If it started running lumpy, sounds like it jumped a tooth or two. That would have knocked the timing out. It was only a matter of time at that point.

Word from experience, when you put the new belt on, mark with tippex or white paint where the sproket markers are now relative to the casing.

Also, work through the Haynes manual very slowly and make sure everything is double checked. Lock the fuel pump sprocket to the pump with a drill bit or something before rotating the fuel pump (if needbe).

Once everything is setup right and the timing is correct, you can make it go a bit better by SLIGHTLY advancing the timing (On the cam shaped sproket)

kieran wrote:
...started stripping bits off, found the intercooler to be full of mud so full it ways a ton, i may well fit the standard size uprated intercooler at some point when the shopping list grows abit smaller

Im assuming you mean the air gaps are full of mud and no the intercooler itself?? Pressure washer and patience will be required to clean it.

To be honest, I dont think Id bother with an uprated intercooler (unless you can get a cheap second hand one). Perhaps just turn the fuel pump up a little - but not much. Id be inclined to keep it well serviced and timing spot on. Keep it reliable.

kieran wrote:

so far on the shoppoing list is a new timing belt and a new power steering pump,

Are you sure its the pump and not the steering box? The pumps are normally very reliable, the steering boxes arent!

kieran wrote:

Its a left hand thread. G Cramp over the belt to keep it tightly tensioned, then shock the 32mm spanner anti-clockwise. Should fly off.
Back to top Go down

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Quote :
Quote :
Wouldn't catch me driving through 2 landy rally's and countless other thousands of miles over the last 2+ years on an unknown timing belt
ahhh yes but your forgetting the very motto landy rally lives on " if your not living on the edge your taking up too much space" Laughing i just always assumed that the timing belt was changed when the engine was which means to date it has done no more than 22 thousand miles, i was correct in that assumption but of course that didnt take into account 5 years of off-roading use with no wading plug before i got it and then 1 years off-roading with me with no wading plug, when looking at the clutch release bearing while having the bell housing off in the summer we decided to replace that and to stop further damage to get wading plugs, lesson learnt there all be it the hard way Shocked but its good learning for me, im sure its the power sterring pump its gotta be hasnt it? ( in 2007 or late 2006 we replaced the power steering box, it still has shiney black paint on it, we noticed two weeks ago that the pump was leaking slightly but when my dad pointed out that leak to me it setbells ringing as in when i was in yorkshire at sols birthday party i had lost water getting there but while under there i noticced the power steering pump ( which at the time i thought was the water pump ) to be very wet, it was an MOT advisory that there was excessive fluid arround the pump and when speaking to the mot guy he said the pumps getting close to being nakered but if i were you id leave it untill it goes, thats all the evidence i have leading to the pump )

is it worth cleaning out the inside of the intercooler while its off?

what benifits does turning up the timing have? the fuel pumps already turned up slightly and that gave a good performance upgrade.

cant think if i missed anything there

cheers for advice jon, look forward to more

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 5:03 pm

kieran wrote:
the fuel pumps already turned up slightly and that gave a good performance upgrade.

You know that turning the fuel up makes the exhaust hotter on a diesel, and is likely to cook your turbo if you aren't careful?

Quote :
cant think if i missed anything there

You didn't mention you recently replaced a toasted turbo Smile

Quote :
is it worth cleaning out the inside of the intercooler while its off?
Yes - Even if it's only to prove it doesn't need cleaning. Considering the volume of oil in the breathers, I'd say it's probably filthy!
Rinse with boiling water, then while it's still hot, washing up liquid or dishwasher powder and fill it up with boiling water. Leave to stand until cool enough to handle, then rinse. degreaser would work too, but don't use anything with hydroxide in it (drain unblocker, drive cleaner, bleach, etc).
Back to top Go down

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 6:09 pm

how much would you say is too much for the fuel pump to be turned up? dont want another new turbo
cheers for the advice andy
ccheers kieran
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 1:45 am

Kieren,
If youve already turned the fuel pump up then just set the timing on the injection pump sprocket. Dont rotate the unit. If youre not sure, leave it where it is. Given that the car has been running, it should be a case of just lining up the markers inside the cam cover with those on the sprokets. As I said before though - mark where they are now with everything at TDC.

If you advance the timing too much it will go like stink... until it self detonates soon after! Head gasket will be first thing to go.

Turning up the fuel pump a little wouldnt be the cause for the turbo going bang. However, do you get any smoke (black or white) under load?

You must clean the interccoler outside to let air flow through it - that will reduce inlet temps and thus have a massive effect on EGTs... Which is probably why the turbo went awol.

As for cleaning inside - as Andy says, its definately worthwhile. Slosh a little parafin around in there, dispose of that and slosh a little more clean through it. Leave to dry and put back together. leaving it to dry is the important thing here. If you use any flamable solvents and put it back together wet - the tdi will breath in flamable air... bang, bang, pop, pop time... :bom:

The biggest, most reliable performance gain you'll get is by finding 4 steel disco wheels (very cheap) and putting some road tyres on. I know its a pain having to keep a set in the garage, but its a reliable gain!
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 3:09 am

VentureOverland wrote:
Turning up the fuel pump a little wouldnt be the cause for the turbo going bang.

How about it being turned up a lot, and the wastegate actuator being caked in mud?
Kieran, have you tested the oil pressure switch and indicator light?

Also, don't forget that most of the bits of an engine fit nicely inside a dishwasher, most of which have all kinds of metal pegs, shelves and supports that appear to have been designed specifically for this task!
(I'd probably not dishwash anything with bearings, though)
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 5:12 am

Quote :
Kieran: when i was in yorkshire at sols birthday party
Thought we'd established Team Slow 'n' Dirty fom Hull live in Humberside? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 5:58 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Quote :
Kieran: when i was in yorkshire at sols birthday party
Thought we'd established Team Slow 'n' Dirty fom Hull live in Humberside? Twisted Evil

Quor Bilmey Mary Poppins...Slow 'n' Dirty are in Hull - thats just next door to me - well almost!

Im not 100% certain Tom but I think Kieren's right. Not that you were wrong, just out dated. I think Humberside was abandoned a few years ago for "East Riding of Yorkshire". To us locals, that'll be East Yorkshire then!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oops...Poor Pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oops...Poor Pinky   Oops...Poor Pinky Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oops...Poor Pinky
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next