Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A worrying trend in the forum............

Go down 
+7
Keith Johnson
ardvark2345
LuckyTrucker
Tom Mc
theshortwayround
batfink
CarpeDiem
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

A worrying trend in the forum............ Empty
PostSubject: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 11:00 am

Is it me, or does there seem to be a spate of breakdowns, me included?

I certainly hope everyone's Landys ready! Better now than in September, I suppose.

To that purpose, I even went to the dentist and had a molar tooth pulled out pale , and another would be better taken out as well! silent

Still, like the Landy, better now, that in September. Still, better pack a pair of pliers, just in case!

cheers everyone!
Back to top Go down
batfink

batfink

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 11:17 am

Your not wrong,i broke down on Tues my folt ran out of diesel.Then my mate lent on my window and it disapeard inside the door,then to top it all of the drive boxes went yesterday!!!!

Good job i have a spare landy to break or it would have been a very exspensive week affraid
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 11:40 am

Well, it does look like it's a forming trend, i'm keeping my fingers crossed, in fact, i'm probably tempting fate here a bit too much, that said, i did have to stick some air in F/O/S as it was a tad down when i checked, like down by 20psi!! fingers crossed nothing else.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 5:05 pm

Of course they break down, they're Land Rovers Razz

QUESTION: What they call Land Rover owners in Oz?

ANSWER: Dirty-backs

WHY: Because Land Rover drivers are always under their vehicles repairing them!

Honest, this isn't bulls**t, it's true. All the Australian off-roaders know this one. In fact the Aussies on the Rainforest Challenge of Malaysia told me this tasty morsel, and they themselves were driving a Range Rover - the very same team that came 3rd, 2nd and 1st in consecutive years I might add, so clearly LR products are lot more capable than some would make out.

Let's face it, we all know Land Rovers have their faults, or at least we should do, but what's the use of owning a giant Meccano kit if you're not going to play, modify, break, fix and generally fiddle about with it? BIG BOYS TOYS sums them up perfectly (sorry ladies, you will have to look elsewhere for someone PC, you won't find him here).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 7:01 pm

its all good fun

our wheel bearings recently gave up and now the fan belt is loose is a big adventure
so they tell me Laughing

Monstar affraid
Back to top Go down
batfink

batfink

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 1:54 pm

Well not the best of days,removed the knackerd box and trans,and boy was it knackerd.Checked the good one over all seemed tickedy boo.

Checked the clutch plate and compared it to the other one put it back together and then realised why the mechanic was laughing at me in the pub last night when i said i didnt know what a clutch liner was?luckly i had a mate on hand who did know and also had a set so i got that sorted.

Then came the precariously easy job of sliding the good one into place hoysting it into place and bolting it back into place lol! lol! lol! if only it was that kin easy,after blood sweat and tears i gave up yes im sorry folks i gave up!

But a lot of knowledge has been gained today:
The first and best is a sladge hammer dosent work in desperation
Second,neither dose i hacksaw?

So iwill be back to it tommorow with a little help from my friends and hopefully get that dam box in place and bolted up :suspect:

If any one has any tips i will be on line till late so pelase help if u can Idea
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 2:16 pm

Doesn't sound good mate, last time i did a box, it just took a lot of wiggling to get it in, even then it was stiff, so had a little help from a bit of wood across the back, and a 2kg club hammer.

I don't know much about west sussex, but i'm in slindon tomorrow on a winch challenge event and prob finish about 4ish.....
Back to top Go down
batfink

batfink

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 2:52 pm

If im right slindon is about 1 hr away from selsey?
My brotherin law goes to slindon pits with his suzki thing :face:
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 3:02 pm

Ahh ok, probably a little far away, as still then have to travel back home afters, esp after a nice muddy winch challenge!

Good luck mate, sorry not closer to help.
Back to top Go down
batfink

batfink

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 3:04 pm

Ive been corected by my sister,its 30 min away.Why do you fancey helping out?
Idid come within 2 inches of fitting it but did'nt want to shove it and have the back end fall of the jack and come crashing down affraid
Now i see the purpose of the wood Idea
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 3:50 pm

I would have loved to have helped, unfortunalty i think tis still a little far, and depending on how the winch challenge goes, might need to get back, bit i will bare in mind your plight, and if we finish early....

Send me a text with your number, and i'll help if i can.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 4:22 pm

Been there and got the jolly ol' t-shirt. I hate marrying up gearboxes to engines, almost as bad as working on exhaust sytems. Take my word for it, it'll slot in a treat tomorrow, always does when you attack something afresh!

Same goes for most things. A bolt for instance that just won't screw in after 15 knuckle-scraping minutes. Leave it, go have a cuppa, come back and almost instantly the thread will catch and you wonder why it all took so long. When you're cold, knackered, wet, tired and throughly miserable it takes twice/three times as long to do anything. Go back to it and it's a doddle ... you see if I'm not right.

sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
batfink

batfink

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 1:11 am

And if your wronge i think you should come down and show me how its done Mr Mc? lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Delighted to help out, on my way. Oh dear, look at the time ... too late! Shucks, gutted I am. Smile

Hope it went well.
Back to top Go down
batfink

batfink

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 3:49 pm

Well its in finaly finished at 6:30pm sunday.I gess it took approx 28hrs,but that was on my own.The new gear box and transfer is lovley you dont realise how knackerd things are till you get a new one.
I've sufferd 8 out of 10 scufed nuckles,Brused shins,Brused nose,Fat lip(Ratchet sliped of nut conected with my lip)Outch Sad
So all up and running now.The next venture is to fit the oil cooling system and the power stering then probably the interior
Then something else will come along and ill have more to do,Woooo
You got to love it,if we didnt we would'nt have these vehicles?

SEE YA sunny
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Only 8 out of 10 scuffed knuckles? You're not a true Landy mechanic until you've 10 out of 10 to show for your efforts. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 11:47 pm

Very Happy well done, one fixed, mine soon. bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 3:44 pm

Hi there, I have just been reading your tale. I 'm sorry it took you so long but I wouldn't do Landy gear box, a Suzuki yes but not a Landy just too heavy. Heard a tale a few weeks a a guy doing a Land Cruiser gear box, slipped off a jack and broke his leg. I paid some to put in a new clutch on mine just a few weeks ago. He had the equipment and did it while he was stnding on his head. Sorted. See you in September.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
ardvark2345

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Does not bode well   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 12:51 pm

All these breakdowns do not bode well............My landy is fit and healthy but I'm doing 500-600 miles a week and its a long time till september...................Ill be doing lots of bits on her in August, diff guard maybe a winch and a cb, by then if I carry on reading the land rover mags I may well also be negotiating a second mortgage!
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 9:09 am

Ah you've done it now, never say all is well!!

If your buying bits, shop around, it really does pay, also mention you're doing this event, and see if anyone will give you a discount in return for advertising stickers etc - worth a try!

Reccommend diff guards, and Steering guard of you've not got one, prob most valuable accessory you can have, that of course and proper Heavy Duty Recovery rings....
Back to top Go down
ardvark2345

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Unbebloodylievable!!!   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 5:04 pm

Unbebloodylievable! Petrol cap spring broke today and also now if I turn off the air con thin smoke wofts gently out of the centre air vents!! I should learn not to tempt fate!!!!!

D
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: dingle dangle !!!   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2007 10:38 am

We seem to have developed a tinkly sound, on reflection maybe not tinkly perhaps rattly, and unrelated to which gear we are in and road speed. from the back of the gearbox/transfer box. It only happens at certain revs - could this be a lay shaft bearing or something ? Any suggestions? Please send all answers in a stamped addressed envelope.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 1:21 pm

Hi Keith. How's your Landy? It's hard to know what's going on without hearing it. Is anything loose? Like your exhaust rattling against something? Does it make the rattly noise when stationery and revving the engine? scratch

Good Luck getting to the bottom of it!

I've just rebuilt the base of the passenger seat and welded it back together using dexion! It was broken when we bought it, but it's a bit far to drive in September with a broken seat!

Tweedie and Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 4:59 pm

Maybe it's your old bones rattling?
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 11:49 am

Hi there, well my Disco has been overheating when towing or climbing a long steep hill,washed mud out of rad, changed thermostat, changed viscous coupling and then I bit the buillet changed the rad. All good now so it should climb over the Alps with no probs, fingers crossed. Already fitted new clutch as the old one was on the way out. On the things to do list are--- full service including hubs off regrease or replace wheel bearings, new brake pads, new brake fluid and fit dog guard so it all stays in the boot if the worst happens. Oh! and most important fit klaxon lol!
Am I pushing my luck when I say the Disco hasnīt let me down yet :?:
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next