Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A worrying trend in the forum............

Go down 
+7
Keith Johnson
ardvark2345
LuckyTrucker
Tom Mc
theshortwayround
batfink
CarpeDiem
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 11:14 am

LuckyTrucker wrote:
Hi Jon, what's the Landy? TD5 Defender by any chance? You would never accuse a tdi being quicker than a Freelander surely?

Yeah, the 110 is a TD5 with uprated intercooler and one of our ECU remaps.

As for a TDi being quicker than a freelander... Id say a good condition TDi will have the legs on a Freelander upto about 40mph... then the higher revving, higher geared TD4 would be off.

Indeed, Im sure that a TD4 Freelander will be quicker than the Defenrder from about 70 - 80mph onwards....

If your TDis a bit sluggish then Id suggest an unprated drop in intercooler and fuel pump tweak.. I say the uprated drop in type because the full width ones dont give you that much extra oomph but do adversly affect cooling which whilst OK in the UK, often causes problems in warmer climes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 12:27 pm

What's this then Jon, you a psychic? Guess what type of intercooler have I got. Yes a drop in one. Guess what I've done to the pump, yes it has a tweak, and I also have a little more turbo boost Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
You have to understand though this is not for the benefit to go faster affraid this is just overcome the higher gearing with the taller tyres and when towing a heavy trail.
Can I help it if all 4 tyres light up when pulling away from traffic lights Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 4:21 am

Well, i now feel able to properly join this thread!!

Whilst preparing for the Baja Rally in Wales this weekend, i decided that it was time to replace the broken Air Con condenser, fot the new one, check the Rad, and fit the Kenlowe. Easy i hear you say...

Well, Old fan out, intercooler out, no problem so far, Rad out - oh crap! Rather a few fins missing, maybe enough to cover my whole hand, so whilst working ok, and not (YET) leaking, prob time for a new one, ok though, fit fan, no problems, fir A/C condesor, oh crap for the 2nd time! New one (which has been in the garage waiting to be fitted for 18 months) is of a different pattern, no top brackets, dryer bracket is out of line, oh and the old one was full of leaves and muck, in fact, the fan had carved a ring from the old one - no wonder it didn't work!

The old one is on the left. New one on the right

A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Img1306-5geoy3m

All the bolts from the old one where the fans are secured sheared, so gonna be a few days before my matre and i can get the new one 'adjusted'. So, leaving that all out and securing the pipes and cable,s fit the old rad but new fan, intercooler etc, run it up, bleed it, and oh crap for the 3rd time, water leak! only a drip, but comng from the top of the bottom hose, and now i'm almost late for the pub quiz, so bit of sealent, and it will do for the next few days until we can finish the job. i wasn't going to faff about to drain it all again, and fit the new bottom pipe, only to remove it in a week again to fit the air con again and new rad (when i get it).

Only thought now is, do i bother with the air con, could just put up with the heat, and have on board air, but then again, have a new compressor donated, and it would be nice to be cool....

Damn radiator though, really thought that might be ok, still, best find out now than somewhere up in the mountains!

New fan good though, got hot driving in the rally stage, some big inclines on rough shale surface, temp gauge went up, then all of a sudden, plumeted! great stuff, thanks kenlowe!

So what next?

:arrow:
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 11:18 pm

Shocked Best of luck!!!
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 4:46 am

I've noticed another trend! Landies seem quite happy when you leave them alone- then they lure you into a false sense of security and as soon as you touch them things go wrong! There is no such thing as a 10 minute job! scratch

They say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I guess "If it ain't broke, modify it!" is more of a Landy motto! Smile

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 5:00 am

Lu and Tweedie wrote:

They say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I guess "If it ain't broke, modify it!" is more of a Landy motto! Smile
Lu :bom:

If it aint broke, you're not using it right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 12:38 pm

If it ainīt broke fix it until it is Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 6:24 am

oh dear this topic strikes again harder
i came back from leeds smileing having had a great weekend
only downer was the gash in my chin
i went to buy a new phone great i got the one i wanted
went to fill up with fuel and goes to pay
oh dear i have lost my card inbetween buying phone and fueling up good job my mate was filling up same time so i borrowed his card,
next i gets home landy full of mates waiting for me to phone bank and cancel card i turns around to look at landy oh no flat tyre evan more oh no my dad points out the fact he has spotted a major oil leak coming out of the inside of the front hub, and then today i stop outside our local repair garage and i have a head ache because the smell of diesel is that strong i opens the bonnet and great theres diesel every where

today keeps on getting better
at this rate making it to landy rally is looking hard Shocked
we will get there

cheers kieran Smile
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 6:30 am

Bad news Kieren... Last week was a bit like that for me, this weeks going to be good though, if only because there cant' be any more sh*t that could possibly come my way!!

Keep smilin'
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
Rafe

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-08-27

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 9:39 am

The day I left for Morocco in the lightweight... the seal around the oil filter blew dumping lots and lots of oil all over the road, needing a new seal and lots more oil. The switch for the Kenlowe fan failed. And something else went wrong, but I can't remember. Then in Southern Spain my brake light switch failed.

But all that went wrong in Morocco was a blocked fuel filter!

Keep at it, because it'll all be worth it in the end.

Rafe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A worrying trend in the forum............   A worrying trend in the forum............ - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A worrying trend in the forum............
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5